You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, February 19th 2010, 3:17am

Chilean Aircraft Development for 1939

[SIZE=3]New Aircraft Production[/SIZE]
ENAER
ENAER's biggest news is the planned April 1939 switch to licensed production of the FMA I-02 Pulqui, replacing the production of the I-01-IIB Buchon. The Buchon line will terminate at 144 aircraft. The first 72 I-02s will replace Spartan Storms in fighter-interceptor squadrons, resulting in the final retirement of Storms to the reserve.

ENAER will also be building a limited number (24 planes) of ZCA and ZCB Pillans. The Pillan ("Devil" in Mapuche) is designed as a secondary fighter and naval scout aircraft for use in the Navy. The ZCA is single-seat; the ZCB is twin seat, with a corresponding drop in performance.

Valdivia Aviacion
Valdivia is in the process of a reorganization and will eventually be reformed into Constelación Aircraft, with three major divisions. Fanaero will be acquiring the VA-1 Condor line, and will be marketing it to the military and civilians as the Fanaero Alpaca. Constelación Planeador will continue marketing Valdivia's sporting and training gliders, as well as producing any further examples of VEP-11 military cargo gliders. Constelación Aeronave will specialize in cargo and passenger aircraft, producing the Twin Condor (renamed the Condor) and the Royal Condor.

[SIZE=3]First Flights and Developments[/SIZE]
ENAER additionally has scheduled the first flying prototypes for the ENAER Alicanto/Accrisius Avenger naval bomber. The Alicanto/Avenger has been under development since 1936, with Accrisius joining the project in early 1937. Development was accelerated during the Peruvian War, but the first Alicanto/Avenger will be completed in April 1939, with a first flight in May. ENAER hopes to have the Alicanto in production by mid 1940, accompanied by full production from Accrisius.

Junior engineer Eduardo Wolff is also leading a team of designers from Spartan Aircraft and EMBRAER in developing the I-02T Pulqui Long-Ranged Fighter. The I-02T is a modification of the I-02-II which FMA is preparing for 1940. The I-02T is a unique design placing two redesigned I-02-II fuselages together, joining them with a central wingspan and redesigned empenage. The now twin-engined I-02T will have the cockpit in the portside fuselage, with the starboard-side fuselage smoothed over and replaced with a secondary fuel tank. An initial test run of the Twin Pulqui is scheduled for July, with three aircraft being built by ENAER, EMBRAER, and Spartan for testing.

Constelación Aeronave is beginning work on an improved version of the Twin Condor for first production in 1942. The Serie-4 Condor will feature more options of avionics and a modified wing design intended to shorten the takeoff and landing roll of the aircraft. New options for engines will also likely be provided. A new four-engined transport is also being developed for 1941 or 1942.

Friday, February 19th 2010, 3:19am

Accrisius Avenger/ENAER Alicanto

[SIZE=4]Accrisius Avenger/ENAER Alicanto Torpedo Bomber / Dive Bomber[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Specifications[/SIZE]
Wingspan: 14.5m
Length: 11.5m
Height: 4m
Wing Area: 380 ft²
Empty weight: 8,377 lb (3,800 kg)
Loaded weight: 12,345.8 lb (5,600 kg)
Engine: 1 × 1800hp Austral Incitatus (14-cyl radial)
Crew: 2
Armour: 8mm thick armoured bulkhead

[SIZE=3]Performance[/SIZE]
Max speed: 345mph (300 knots)
Range: 2,750 km (1,708 mi)
Service ceiling: 11,000m (36,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 9.4 m/s (31 f/s)

[SIZE=3]Armament[/SIZE]
- 2 × 13 mm MGs in wings
- 2 × 7.62mm MGs in rear cockpit
- 1 × 1800lbs aerial torpedo or bombs

[SIZE=3]Notes[/SIZE]
The Alicanto, although originating as a torpedo bomber design, is fitted with dive brakes to act as a dive bomber.

[SIZE=3]Production History[/SIZE]
- 3 Test Aircraft Built 1939
- First Flight planned for May 1939
- Initial order (Armada de Chile) in January 1940
- Full production planned for winter 1940 (June-July)

Friday, February 19th 2010, 3:25am

[SIZE=4]I-02 Twin Pulqui[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Specifications[/SIZE]
Wingspan: 50 ft
Length: 36.8 ft
Height: 11.22 ft
Wing Area: 263 ft²
Empty weight: 12,425 lbs
Loaded weight: 15,432 lbs
Engine: 2 × 1500hp FMA Spartan 12V-1500S-SS
Crew: 1
Armour: 8mm thick armoured bulkhead

[SIZE=3]Performance[/SIZE]
Max speed: 449mph (390 knots)
Range: 1,043 nm (1,201 miles) @ 305mph
Service ceiling: 38,000 ft
Rate of climb: 3,012 feet per minute

[SIZE=3]Armament[/SIZE]
- 4 × 13 mm in wings
- 2 × 20mm in central wing
- 2 × 250-500lb bombs

Drawing and aircraft idea by me, sim by Hood.

Friday, February 19th 2010, 12:03pm

RE: Accrisius Avenger/ENAER Alicanto

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Heh, looks like great minds think alike, Focke-Wulf is using the same historical aircraft as a model for a proposed carrier torpedo/dive-bomber to replace the Ju-87C. It won't, in the end, win, the Junkers Ju-195 (based on the EF-65) will, but the idea was there.... :)

Friday, February 19th 2010, 2:38pm

I'm not familiar with the EF-65...?

Friday, February 19th 2010, 3:38pm

EF-65?

Is that the Stuka follow up with twisting tail assembly?

If it is I'm not a fan of that it had structural weakness and high maintenance written all over it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Marek Gutkowski" (Feb 19th 2010, 5:17pm)

Friday, February 19th 2010, 4:43pm

No, the one with the rotating tail is the Ju-187, that was rejected almost as soon as it was proposed here in WW. The EF-65 is here: http://hugojunkers.pytalhost.com/ju_ef082_a1.htm, along with the EF-82.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Feb 19th 2010, 6:00pm)

Friday, February 19th 2010, 5:16pm

404 - Seite konnte nicht gefunden werden.
Site not found...

A bit of a description Hrolf?

Friday, February 19th 2010, 5:37pm

Well, checking the address, I noticed that the ',' did not belong there at the end.
http://hugojunkers.pytalhost.com/ju_ef082_a1.htm

Friday, February 19th 2010, 6:07pm

Doh.

I'm familiar with this one.
Single seater?
I think that a rear gunner is highly recommended.
Or at least a rear stinger like Me-210 and Ar-234 had.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 12:36am

I'm not sure about the twin Pulqui. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to. The baseline I-02 with a 1500hp engine should be toddling along at around 430mph which is more than fast enough. 1000nm range isn't difficult in a single seat fighter. Should be able to manage it with internal fuselage fuel. I did some calculations for a long range Spitfire some time ago, fitting maximum size internal fuel tanks (apart from the wing PR ones) and you can get a range up to around 1800nm even before adding external tanks. The only way it makes sense to me is if twin engine reliability is needed (though actually you're more likely to suffer engine failure, just not aircraft loss, though with the mountains in Chile may not). The P-82 was the only aircraft with reasonable flying time to use this arrangement, and it wasn't really a success. You're better off with a conventional design unless the time pressure is there to use an existing design.

To sum up; If Chile wants such an aircraft, they're better off buying a conventional type. If Chile wants to design such an aircraft, this is a pretty reasonable stab at it.

I do wonder how good the EF-65 would be. The BMW-801 engine has fairly limited power. Probably getting down below TBF performance when you stick armour and external guns on it.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 12:46am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I'm not sure about the twin Pulqui. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to. The baseline I-02 with a 1500hp engine should be toddling along at around 430mph which is more than fast enough. 1000nm range isn't difficult in a single seat fighter. Should be able to manage it with internal fuselage fuel. I did some calculations for a long range Spitfire some time ago, fitting maximum size internal fuel tanks (apart from the wing PR ones) and you can get a range up to around 1800nm even before adding external tanks. The only way it makes sense to me is if twin engine reliability is needed (though actually you're more likely to suffer engine failure, just not aircraft loss, though with the mountains in Chile may not). The P-82 was the only aircraft with reasonable flying time to use this arrangement, and it wasn't really a success. You're better off with a conventional design unless the time pressure is there to use an existing design.

To sum up; If Chile wants such an aircraft, they're better off buying a conventional type. If Chile wants to design such an aircraft, this is a pretty reasonable stab at it.

You say the P82 was not a success. Please clarify. Aside from it's use as a prop-driven anachronism in the jet age, I've never heard anything but high praise for the design.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 1:19am

The only downside I can see to the P-82, operationally at least, is that only the portside cockpit has instrumentation but I suppose that was due to wartime production constraints.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 10:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
You say the P82 was not a success. Please clarify. Aside from it's use as a prop-driven anachronism in the jet age, I've never heard anything but high praise for the design.

Hmm, I can't remember hearing much praise. Usually comments about how unreliable the engines were.

The twin fuselage layout gives all the disadvantages of the single fuselage arrangement (well more as visibility is poorer) and the disadvantages of the conventional twin arrangement (larger, more expensive, less manoeuvreable) whilst not offering the advantages of the conventional twin arrangement (namely space and design stretch). It's really just a lash up when there isn't time to design a conventional twin.

It's probably a realistic design given Chile's technical capacity. I'd still probably just go with a I-02 with more fuel unless two engines are really required.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 11:40am

The Twin Pulqui got Brock, me and Wes quite excited. At first we were sceptical but it has growth potential. We can fill that inner wing with all manner of cannon combos, lug all kinds of bombs under its wings and later radar pods and a second crewman (though probably in a tandem cockpit rather than a P-82 layout). I agree the layout might be quirky to land and the other fuselage might affect the starboard visibility but then again many twin-engined fighters weren't so hot in that respect either. The Beaufighter's view wasn't very great with those huge Hercules thumping away at each ear-hole!

I guess we could bump up the range a little.

Saturday, February 20th 2010, 6:18pm

Quoted

We can fill that inner wing with all manner of cannon combos, lug all kinds of bombs under its wings and later radar pods and a second crewman

You could do all that with a conventional twin, only better. There's an interesting run down of pros and cons of various aircraft types at the bottom here.

To make a twin engine fighter competitive in combat with single engine fighters you've got to make it as small as possible, which gets rid of one of the main advantages of the twin fighter.

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 12:36pm

Who says we're using it to fight single-seater fighters?
My main conception of the Twin Pulqui, is a bomber-destroyer or fighter-bomber or a reconnaissance type. Since Chile and Atlantis will already have single-seat Pulqui fighters they will be the main interceptor/fighter type.

Argentina will order a couple for evaluation but the FAA is not totally sold on the idea yet.

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 3:58pm

If you're going for those roles then the conventional twin is the better option. You've got much more room for armament, cameras and such like.

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 6:17pm

Agree with RA

Licenses for Petlyakovs are available!

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 6:20pm

RE: Agree with RA

Quoted

Originally posted by AdmKuznetsov
Licenses for Petlyakovs are available!

Hmmm... the next closest thing to a Mosquito...

Pe-2, or Pe-3?

*Is very tempted, since he's eyed them anyway.* A tad bit slow, but if reworked for Spartan 12V-1500S-SS engines, perhaps it'll get up and go a bit faster...