You are not logged in.

Friday, August 1st 2008, 2:15am

Ok, I love to see citations were the Bren is claimed to be a HMG, you do realize that a HMG is not an AT gun?

Friday, August 1st 2008, 2:21am

Oh for crying out loud! ;( :P

Friday, August 1st 2008, 2:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Oh for crying out loud! ;( :P

"Now Kids! Listen to your mother, or so help me, I'll turn this sim around and take you both home!!!"

Friday, August 1st 2008, 2:54am

"If you don't stop crying I'll give you somethi....."

Man I just had a childhood flashback!

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, August 1st 2008, 3:02am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Ok, I love to see citations were the Bren is claimed to be a HMG, you do realize that a HMG is not an AT gun?

Never heard of the Bren being a HMG, I think Howard was alluding to it's multiple uses made it functionally a GPMG, not a mere MMG.

As for HMGs as AT weapons, there are a number of cases where ATR rounds were used for later HMGs. My understanding was that a number of HMGs were considered acceptable in the anti-armor role...but only really in the 1920s-early 30s. After that they were recognized as limited in that role.

The original German 13.2mm ATR was developed into a 13.2mm HMG, but as I recall never went into service...that armistice thing I think. The 14.5mm Russian was originally an ATR round. The 13.2mm Hotchkiss was a new round for AA but could be used on light armor. A quick check of wiki for a backing quote on the M2 yields this :

Quoted

Using a round originally designed by Winchester, the .50 BMG round was designed as a response to the German 13 mm anti-tank rifle of World War I and employed in a redesigned and scaled-up M1917 Browning .30 cal. machine gun. It was quickly adapted to the anti-aircraft role. It was also selected for the ground role and adopted by the U.S. as the Model 1921. The latter served during the 1920s as an anti-aircraft and anti-armor gun.

Anyhow, I think you'll find that like many categories, the terms blur and shift over time.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 1st 2008, 3:11am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad

Never heard of the Bren being a HMG, I think Howard was alluding to it's multiple uses made it functionally a GPMG, not a mere MMG.

As for HMGs as AT weapons, there are a number of cases where ATR rounds were used for later HMGs. My understanding was that a number of HMGs were considered acceptable in the anti-armor role...but only really in the 1920s-early 30s. After that they were recognized as limited in that role.

The original German 13.2mm ATR was developed into a 13.2mm HMG, but as I recall never went into service...that armistice thing I think. The 14.5mm Russian was originally an ATR round. The 13.2mm Hotchkiss was a new round for AA but could be used on light armor. A quick check of wiki for a backing quote on the M2 yields this :

Quoted

Using a round originally designed by Winchester, the .50 BMG round was designed as a response to the German 13 mm anti-tank rifle of World War I and employed in a redesigned and scaled-up M1917 Browning .30 cal. machine gun. It was quickly adapted to the anti-aircraft role. It was also selected for the ground role and adopted by the U.S. as the Model 1921. The latter served during the 1920s as an anti-aircraft and anti-armor gun.

Anyhow, I think you'll find that like many categories, the terms blur and shift over time.

I agree with this. Where Vukov is confused is his understanding of what a general purpose machine gun was and is.

It most certainly is not a heavy machine gun-which I specifically said in the beginning it was not. CREF above. I said plainly that it was a machine gun that the infantry would use for attack or defense in the 6.5 to 8 mm range.

I even pointed out that the infantry would have to be able to man-carry the thing when I noted that the 12.7 mm HMGs as a class are really to heavy for the foot-mobile assault.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_purpose_machine_gun

Quoted

A general purpose machine gun (GPMG) in concept is a multi-purpose weapon, a machine gun intended to fill the role of either a light machine gun or medium machine gun, while at the same time being man-portable. However, performance in either role may be inferior to a weapon specifically designed for that role. In modern practice, they are air-cooled medium machine guns firing rifle cartridges such as the 7.62x51mm NATO. They are generally operated from a stationary prone position from either a bipod or tripod, or mounted on a vehicle, as they are usually too powerful and heavy to be fired effectively on foot from an unsupported standing position or on the move.

I don't see how it can be stated any plainer?

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 1st 2008, 3:13am)

Friday, August 1st 2008, 3:30am

As I understand it, a LMG is basically a glorified automatic rifle, box fed, and light enough that the MGunner can carry some ammo, too. And again AFAIK, the MMG is never supposed to be fired by a single person, and usually from a bipod or tripod. A HMG is best on a vehicle or AA mount.

Right...?

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 1st 2008, 3:45am

Quoted

As I understand it, a LMG is basically a glorified automatic rifle, box fed, and light enough that the MGunner can carry some ammo, too. And again AFAIK, the MMG is never supposed to be fired by a single person, and usually from a bipod or tripod. A HMG is best on a vehicle or AA mount.

Right...?

Correct sir.

H.

Friday, August 1st 2008, 3:56am

Hrm... then Bulgaria only has light MGs. I need some medium and heavy...

That Russian MG might work for the heavy, and I'm thinking some Solothurn Model 31s for the medium...?

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 1st 2008, 4:13am

Quoted

Hrm... then Bulgaria only has light MGs. I need some medium and heavy...

That Russian MG might work for the heavy, and I'm thinking some Solothurn Model 31s for the medium...?

The Russian heavy is probably the best one at the time, not having the Browning's headspace problems. I don't know anything about the Model 31s at all.

H.

Friday, August 15th 2008, 2:27pm

To re-start this discussion, still need an HMG. As for using wiki as a source... Anyway the the GPMG is not supposed to replace either a LMG or MMG as stated in wiki but to function as both hence general purpose. LMG with (or without) bipod, MMG with tripod and in some cases (often with a heavy barrel) on a tripod with longrange sights as a HMG. Some HMG also use a heavier caliber 12+mm with the line between HMG and Automatic cannon being blurred in some cases.

Man portable in my case would be the same as say light 60-80mm Mortars carried by its crew, one carrying the gun, one the mount and the third ammo/spare parts

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vukovlad" (Aug 15th 2008, 2:30pm)