You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 2:59pm

World War possible?

Just curious about if you think that a World war is possible in WW? In OTL the World wars were due to the intense rivalries of fairly well matched (at least initially) power blocs with some nations that could tilt either way. In WW that is totally lacking.

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 3:17pm

At the moment the only situation that would likely lead towards a world war would be Satsuma vs. everyone else, which will only end one way.

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 4:34pm

The other world war I can see (and it's a reach) is NATO vs AEGIS, with other groups or individual nations jumping in as they see opportunities or threats.

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 5:13pm

There is a better chance that FAR will be involved in war sooner than NATO.

H.

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 5:24pm

I agree with Howard, FAR is more likely to get entangled in a war before NATO.

SAER vs SATSUMA is also high on the list.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, July 26th 2008, 6:23pm

RE: World War possible?

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Just curious about if you think that a World war is possible in WW? In OTL the World wars were due to the intense rivalries of fairly well matched (at least initially) power blocs with some nations that could tilt either way. In WW that is totally lacking.

Securing strategic resources also played a role in the OTL, while in WW they are basically absent as a consideration.

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 6:15am

There are however plenty of entangling alliances. Like WWI, a small war somewhere could spread really fast, and be extremely complicated. Or alternatively, there could be several smaller wars going on at the same time.

Kaiser Kirk

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 6:22am

I've had the thought that it would be fun to hold a lottery and tell 2 countries : Guess what, you two need to figure out why you just declared war

I think it would lend more urgency to keeping fleets refitted and balanced, not letting the force age en bloc, taking to many major combatants out for refits at once, etc.

But the imposed scripting time and burden would be unworkable.

On the bright side we do seem to have several small conflicts to watch.

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 6:28am

Once these smaller conflicts pan out I suspect they will set the tone for future conflicts involving larger country's. In 4 sim years time alot of the post treaty building programs will start to come on line and the posturing will begin.

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 6:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
I've had the thought that it would be fun to hold a lottery and tell 2 countries : Guess what, you two need to figure out why you just declared war

I think it would lend more urgency to keeping fleets refitted and balanced, not letting the force age en bloc, taking to many major combatants out for refits at once, etc.

Though some conflicts would be... a bit unreasonable, and out of character for the countries involved. For instance, suddenly having Ireland have to declare war on, say, Pacifica? That'd take a stretch of imagination to put that one together. Now something like Iberia & Friends versus Mexico, or the Balkans War - that is actually within the realm of possibility.

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 7:09am

Dude, Ireland vs Pacifica would be way cool! 8)

Just trying to see them fight each other, makes it worth it! :D

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 7:39am

Yeah... you'll have to wait until Ireland has active warships and not just a loverly minesweeper, a gunboat, and a pair of fishery patrol ships...

Though that war would really be something else. :P

Irish: "Hi, we're from Ireland and we're gonna kick your @$$."
Pacificans: "Where is Ireland?"
Irish: "..."
Pacificans: "...never mind. Why are you here?"
Irish: "Because we drew the short straw back at the pub..."

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Jul 27th 2008, 7:42am)

Sunday, July 27th 2008, 8:43am

Speaking of Ireland drawing the short straw...

Kaiser Kirk

Monday, July 28th 2008, 5:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Irish: "Hi, we're from Ireland and we're gonna kick your @$$."
Pacificans: "Where is Ireland?"
Irish: "..."
Pacificans: "...never mind. Why are you here?"
Irish: "Because we drew the short straw back at the pub..."

No no, Luxembourg vs. Brunei :)

I've read that when Dewey took the Phillipines, McKinley had to go check a globe to figure out what the US just gained.

But really I more intended two nations with inherent gripes. Most nations here have storylines where somebody isn't popular with them.

Wednesday, July 30th 2008, 8:21pm

Back to the top ;)

I don't think, that a world war happens. Some local skirmishes, may be .... but no great war - i hope.

And if it comes to a war between FAR and SATSUMA than, China has a problem, because it has a NON-AGGRESSION-TREATY with France and Russia.

I think, we have to sit and wait ...... ;)