You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 12:19am

I'm out of here.......

....on holidays again!!

I'm off from 23rd April until 1st May inclusive.

As to where I'm going........
Get to the bottom of this little plot line and there's a actual physical prize for the winner!!
Only one rule, you must get all 3 cities correct, in the right order, and no multiple guesses!!

Let the tale begin........
Part 1

Jamie ( Bond, Jamie Bond, Iberian Spy Extraordinaire) sat on the terrace outside the National muesuem, looking out over the vast harbour. The sun was falling towards the horizon behind him, lighting the water and the islands beyond.

[HINT] The nearest had quite an interesting little castle on it. He remembered that it looked like one on the Martello Towers he had seen when he was in College in Trinity in Dublin, Ireland. This one looked like a developement of that, with a 2 storey high wing on either side of the 4 storey main tower, and a small hexagonal tower on the back that rose to 5 storeys high.

He made a mental note to visit it before they moved to the university town 60km north west of their current location. The castle island should offer superb views of the dockyard opposite. Unfortunately the high ground behind the dockyard had proven to be a bit of a disappointment, as the open air muesuem there had some preserved buildings there that blocked the drydocks.[/HINT]

As he sat there, savouring his coffee, his companion returned from her rest break.
"Helmut, shall we be going?" she asked in perfect, native German.
Jamie drained the last of his coffee and pushed his chair back from the table as he stood up.
"Yes, it's about time alright, Helga" he replied, also in German, but he wouldn't have considered his command of the language as being anywhere as good as Anna's.
He looked at the bill, and placed a 50****** note with the bill under the coffee cup.
"Shall we, my dear?" he asked, offering his arm to the stunning blonde polyglot, as they headed back to the city centre, into the setting sun.

Edited, because now that I'm here, I can correct the error I made in reading the guide book!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Apr 24th 2008, 8:56pm)

Wednesday, April 23rd 2008, 9:42pm

My google-fu is weak. Then again, I think I might have been there.

Thursday, April 24th 2008, 7:33pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
My google-fu is weak. Then again, I think I might have been there.

Knowing your habit of walking up and down steep things, it's entirely possible.

Friday, April 25th 2008, 12:08am

Place 1:-

Stockholm!

Friday, April 25th 2008, 12:18am

Yes, the architecture gives it away. I've never been that far up in Sweden. Just to the endless forests, bog and lakes of the interior.

I was thinking Portsmouth before given the earlier erroneous description. The fort in the Solent fitted almost perfectly.

Friday, April 25th 2008, 12:21am

I just got lucky with Google Earth, having guessed well.

Friday, April 25th 2008, 11:54pm

And Earl822 pulls into an early lead....
But will you be good enough for the rest????

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 12:16am

From the second clue I'm guessing you're off to Uppsala next. I wonder if you can beat Ghostrider's time of 14m 53s from Stockholm to Uppsala?

Saturday, April 26th 2008, 10:07am

I agree on Uppsala as the second place, so that makes Stockholm followed by Uppsala

but the third one has me stumped.

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 9:20am

I should hope so, I have'nt given any clues yet!!

Ghost Rider is a bit of a folk hero here with the "30 somthings".
And no, the train was quite quick, but not that fast!!

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 12:57pm

RE: I'm out of here.......

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
....on holidays again!!

Going to be in Uppsala on the last of april? :D

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Sunday, April 27th 2008, 7:15pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Earl822
I just got lucky with Google Earth, having guessed well.

I tried 'national museum harbor castle' in google, it was not overly helpful, closest I came to Stockholm was Copenhagen, except the castle view of 'Rosenborg castle' I found was more of a manor house where they store the royal jewels.

Monday, April 28th 2008, 8:25am

Quoted

Originally posted by Korpen

Quoted

....on holidays again!!

Going to be in Uppsala on the last of april? :D

No, unfortunately....
It's going to be some bonfire here though, while we were out at Gamla Uppsala yesterday, we saw about a dozen 4x4's and estate cars (Station-wagons), within 30 minutes, hauling trailers of stuff to a prepared site for burning.

Hopefully our next destination will be having a bonfire as well!!

Monday, April 28th 2008, 11:29am

Quoted

No, unfortunately....
It's going to be some bonfire here though, while we were out at Gamla Uppsala yesterday, we saw about a dozen 4x4's and estate cars (Station-wagons), within 30 minutes, hauling trailers of stuff to a prepared site for burning.

Hopefully our next destination will be having a bonfire as well!!

The last of April celebrations here in Uppsala (and some of the other university towns in Sweden) is a bit bizarre; as it is the only day of the year it is perfectly normal to start the party at nine in the morning. Also there is about 50k people who comes to the town just for the celebrations, so it is crowded to say the least. :)

Bonfires have nothing to do with it here. ;)

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 12:51am

Part 2.......

Having completed their mission in Uppsala University, Jamie and Anna heaeded south.
They had booked a sleeping berth, maintaining their cover as a pair of newly-weds on their honeymoon. The train was making good time and they should arrive in their final destination in about 12 hours.

The next morning, the pair of spies walked out of the train station into the centre of the coastal city. The weather was good for the time of year, and they hailed a taxi.

"The Savoy Hotel please" Jamie asked the driver, "and take a scenic route around the city please. This is my first time here".

The driver set off, turning into the morning traffic. They drove round the town square, with the town hall in red brick and it's huge tower, past the castle with it's moat, and along the waterfront.

About 30 minutes later, they pulled up at the Savoy.
The Doorman, accompanied by a porter, greeted the couple. They entered the foyer, followed by the porter with their bags.

"Good afternoon, and welcome to the Savoy" said the concierge, "We have your room ready for you, and there is a message here for you", he stated as he retrieved the sealed note from the room box with the key. He handed the note to Jamie, while passing the key to the porter.
"Olaf will show you to your room, and I hope you will have a pleasent stay with us."

Jamie nodded his acknowledgement, and looked at the note. "This is from your Uncle Peter, Helga" he said as he passed the note to Anna. "I hope everything is alright?" he queried.

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 12:54am

Malmö?

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 9:31am

Quoted

Malmö?

I concur. Flying back from Kobenhavn as well I presume? You can see for miles going over the bridge. It was raining and windy when I was there last time unfortunately. Keep an eye for the sign saying "Fart Limit 50km/h" as well.

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 12:20pm

A sign that says 'fart'...

The F-ing locals will be onto you if you steal their town signs.

http://mayamanako.blogspot.com/2008/01/fucking-town.html

Cheers,

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 2:49pm

A few visual hints....and a bonus prize

The following 4 photos were shot within 3 miles of each other..........

...and the bonus prize!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (May 2nd 2008, 2:50pm)

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 3:04pm

Landskrona? Thinking of the Aero engines but why would anyone want to go there?