You are not logged in.

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:00am

Infrastructure Explination

Yes, I know that it's 'explained' in the "Infrastructure 2.0" thread, but somehow I'm not quite wrapping my head around the construction rules. Could someone please help me understand them a bit better? I'm looking for a general rundown of how infrastructure is developed and applied.

Siam Q4/1934

This is my 4th quarter budget for 1934.
If someone can help me understand what I can do, I'll quickly post budgets enough to get Siam current.

Thanks!

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:02am

Wrf, you have even less to work with than I do...

Okay, each factory you have makes 1000t of materials per quarter. You have two factories, making 2,000 t of materials. When you buy a ship, then you use those materials to build it.

Say you wanted to buy a destroyer. According to the rules, it can be built in (light tonnage/1000) + 9 = number of months (if it's over 500t). Say it's 2000t light tonnage. That means it can be built in exactly 11 months.

The destroyer is laid down in your shipyard and you need to put 2,000 tons of materials into it to complete it. Since that's 11 months overall, you divide light tonnage by the number of months, and discover you need to add 182 tons per month, or 546 tons per quarter.

Of the 2,000 tons of materials you make per quarter, you need to earmark 546t for your destroyer.

Once the destroyer has 40% of the materials (800tons) or 40% of the build time (4.4 months) then it can be launched and the slip used for other ships. Whichever figure is later is the time you can launch it.

For ships smaller than 500t, there's a different system. I'll take the torpedo boat you posted on the Ship Design folder as an example. The light displacement is 325 tons, which means it can be built in (l.d./1000)+4 = months, or 4.325 months. You're putting in 75 tons per month, except for the last month, where you put in... ah... 25.

In other words, you'd put in 75 tons for the three months it's being built, or 225 tons for the first quarter, and 100 tons for the second.

After your torpedo boat is completed, then it will spend three months working up and taking on fuel, stores, ammunition, and the like. Once that's done, she's ready to go fight your enemies.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Feb 22nd 2008, 4:32am)

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:36am

And how about building new factories?
How much material do I need to do that?

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 4:48am

New factories cost ten infrastructure points to build. A single factory makes .1 points of infrastructure per month. If a factory is assigned in Q1 to build JUST infrastructure for a full year, you get .1 IP (so .5IP per year).

In other words, if you put both of your factories to work just building infrastructure, in ten years you can get a new factory.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Feb 22nd 2008, 5:13am)

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 5:11am

Honestly puting IP's into another factory is an expensive endeavor for nations with less than 10 factorys. Turkey has 6 factorys and couldn't be bothered spending valuable IP's on another. Shipyards are far more valuable and a better bang for your buck.

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 5:21am

A rule was recently made where small countries are allowed to build Half-Factories. Basiclly the factory costs half and produces half the material.

But if you really want another factory, what you do is find a rich neighbor/s and beg, plead, and blackmail them untill they pay for the new factory. If all else fails find a willing ally and invade French Indochina.

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 5:24am

Hey quiet you! We have enough meglomaniacs here, we don't need to saturate the market with more!

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 5:40am

Hmm so where did I leave that map with the true extent of the Mexican Empire...ah but the US is paying for my new factory...

Factory - Empire, Factory - Empire, Fac...Factory wins out in the short term, now in the long term... :evil:

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 5:45am

Even with 10 factories of my own I haven't had any slack in production since I took over to devote to industrial expansion.

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 6:12am

Thanks, Brock.
That's just what I was looking for.
I'll get to work on catching Siam up ASAP.

Friday, February 22nd 2008, 6:43am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Hmm so where did I leave that map with the true extent of the Mexican Empire...ah but the US is paying for my new factory...

Factory - Empire, Factory - Empire, Fac...Factory wins out in the short term, now in the long term... :evil:

I think the recreation of the Armenian empire has a better chance of happening, which isn't saying much.