You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, April 30th 2007, 12:36am

The British Empire: Q2/1934 and Q3/1934 News

The colliery explosion is historical, but the aftermath won't be. I'm going somewhere...

*ducks*

7 April 1934

With its new aircraft carriers under construction, the Royal Navy has determined that the present biplane fighters are inadequate for the modern naval environment. A requirement has been issued for a fighter capable of a speed not less than 300 knots, with a range of some 800 miles whilst carrying an armament of eight machine guns with 150 rounds each. The crew is to consist of a pilot and a navigator.

18 May 1934

After consultation with the aircraft companies, the Royal Navy has reduced its requirement for the proposed new carrier fighters. A speed of 275 knots will be acceptable, although 300 knots remains desirable. The range requirement has been reduced to 600 nautical miles, but the armament has not been changed. It has been requested that the two-man crew be retained, but the Navy is willing to consider the viability of omitting the navigator.

19 June 1934

Sealed Memoranda to the Italian and Iberian Ambassadors to London:

Quoted

The Government of the United Kingdom does not feel that, in the present climate, it would be advisable for the current military understanding between our two nations and Iberia to be continued. Bearing this in mind, we request that Italian and Iberian forces vacate British territory in the Mediterranean and East of Suez before the first of January, 1935, unless expressly granted permission to do so. We shall also cease to patrol Italian and Iberian interests East of Suez, and have no expectation that either Italian or Iberian forces should continue protection of British interests within the Mediterranean.

Secret Addendum to Memorandum to Iberia:

Quoted

Regardless of the content of the above, the United Kingdom will continue to openly welcome Iberian vessels in British ports. Your discretion in this matter would be appreciated

28 June 1934

As Mr. Watson-Watts RADAR installations are beginning to appear along the British coastline, the Navy has requested that investigation be made into the possibility of mounting a RADAR system aboard a ship. In addition to its role in detecting aircraft, there is some hope that it might be used to locate other ships, icebergs and indeed land. It remains to be seen, however, what effect the tower installation might have on a seagoing vessel.

21 July 1934

The Canadian Government has expressed an interest in a purchase of P Class submarines, currently laid up owing to the discovery that they were inadvertently constructed one hundred tons larger than would be legal under the Cleito Treaty. The details of the sale have yet to be finalised, but work has started on some forty submarines, which present a major embarrassment to the Royal Navy.

25 July 1934

The Colonial Office has sent telegrams to Siam, the Dutch East Indies, Australia, San Hainando and Brunei advising them that Malaya, Burma, Sarawak, Sabah and Singapore will extend the terms of the Regional Asiatic Trade Society to those territories if they are collectively willing to welcome the British colonies to the Society.

11 August 1934

At long last, the first Boulton-Paul Defiant turret fighters have entered service. After some delays in production of the hydraulically-powered turret, the service entry was delayed by some six months. The Royal Air Force has, however, suggested that this may not entirely be a bad thing, as the delay has allowed the fitting of a slightly-improved Peregrine engine, giving fifteen more horsepower and with better reliability.

18 August 1934

The Government has given notification that a treaty has been signed between the United Kingdom and the South African Empire. Specific details have not been released, but it has been revealed that the treaty chiefly provides for British naval forces to be based in South African ports, and for South African ships to use British bases in the South Atlantic and Indian Ocean.

8 September 1934

The Navy has received initial bids for its new aircraft-carrier fighter. Included amongst these are a much-modified Hurricane from the Hawker firm, a gun-armed Fairey Battle and a Boulton-Paul Defiant without a turret. It is understood that no hasty decision should be expected; that the main contenders are all based on existing aircraft means that development may be accelerated when compared with an all-new aircraft.

24 September 1934

Over the weekend, disaster has struck at Gresford Colliery in North Wales. It is believed that an explosion occurred in the early hours of Saturday in the Dennis Shaft of the
mine. The death toll is presently estimated to be in excess of 260; it has so far been impossible to recover the bodies of the deceased owing to the fire and gas in the mine. Rescue teams have attempted to find survivors, but efforts were abandoned on Sunday evening following the deaths of three rescue workers and the visit of the Chief Inspector of Mines.

Only six men escaped the mine on the morning of the Saturday; it is believed that the night shift was unusually large owing to the fact that many men were working double shifts in order that they might attend a carnival and football match later that day. The shaft has now been sealed, but there are still signs that the fires are continuing.

Monday, April 30th 2007, 1:30am

RE: The British Empire: Q2/1934 and Q3/1934 News

What, no Blackburn Skua?

Quoted

25 July 1934

The Colonial Office has sent telegrams to Siam, the Dutch East Indies, Australia, San Hainando and Brunei advising them that Malaya, Burma, Sarawak, Sabah and Singapore will extend the terms of the Regional Asiatic Trade Society to those territories if they are collectively willing to welcome the British colonies to the Society.

The King of Siam replies that this would be acceptable to his country.

(Any idea of potential delivery dates for Brazil's Defiants?)

Monday, April 30th 2007, 1:32am

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
What, no Blackburn Skua?

Quoted

25 July 1934

The King of Siam replies that this would be acceptable to his country.

(Any idea of potential delivery dates for Brazil's Defiants?)

Actually Peru is getting 70 early in 1935. Do as I did. Go directly to Boulton Paul. British weapons companies IOTL used to be very liberal in their sales. You better hurry up before they get a large government contract.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Apr 30th 2007, 1:33am)

Monday, April 30th 2007, 1:47am

I suppose the Skua might be about somewhere, but I've got plenty of dead ducks on the go as it is.

And yes, I'll sell to almost anyone, provided they're not a rebel group in a major country or likely to cause disrepute. In those cases, solutions may exist. But I didn't say that.

Monday, April 30th 2007, 4:18am

Quoted

Actually Peru is getting 70 early in 1935. Do as I did. Go directly to Boulton Paul. British weapons companies IOTL used to be very liberal in their sales. You better hurry up before they get a large government contract.

Well there's already 24 on order...likely April '35 then?
(By which time there will likely be Large Emergency Contracts placed...but you don't know that (yet). ;) )

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Monday, April 30th 2007, 9:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by RLBH
25 July 1934

Since they were included in the initial invitation sent round, and nobody objected then, I don't expect there would be any objections now. Lacking a response to my PMs, I just moved forward with those that had responded as I needed it to be Q2. Glad to have the British colonies join us.

Monday, April 30th 2007, 10:01am

Quoted

The Navy has received initial bids for its new aircraft-carrier fighter. Included amongst these are a much-modified Hurricane from the Hawker firm, a gun-armed Fairey Battle and a Boulton-Paul Defiant without a turret. It is understood that no hasty decision should be expected; that the main contenders are all based on existing aircraft means that development may be accelerated when compared with an all-new aircraft.

The speed quoted for the P.94 / Defiant mod. always had me puzzled as it is considerably faster than the Hurricane but a larger and heavier aircraft. Then I found out that the performance stats were from a modified Defiant flown without armour or armament. Then things made slightly more sense.

How about the Bristol Type 153 or Gloster F5/34?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, April 30th 2007, 2:22pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
How about the Bristol Type 153 or Gloster F5/34?

Oh no. Not the F5/34! She´ll become the SAEs next carrier fighter generation - or at least I´ll use apicture of a F5/34 for that purpose.....