You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, October 13th 2005, 7:22pm

.PNG files

I've seen other folks posting these for graphics, yet whenever I try to include one in a post here, I get an error message about fields being filled out incorrectly. I'm puzzled, as Photobucket seems to have no issues with the format, so why should this board?

Thoughts? Advice?

J

Thursday, October 13th 2005, 9:28pm

Its possible to post a link to a PNG file, but you can't directly post the picture here in the forums. I had that problem with my map.

Friday, October 14th 2005, 1:53am

This board format doesn't like them for some reason. Try and convert them to .jpg or .gif

Friday, October 14th 2005, 8:30pm

Okay, I thought I'd seen some .png files here but I guess I was mistaken.

I do use .jpgs, but have found that my colored drawings get a bit distorted. I'd rather not resort to black and white.

Ah well.

J

Friday, October 14th 2005, 8:33pm

Quoted

I do use .jpgs, but have found that my colored drawings get a bit distorted. I'd rather not resort to black and white.

If you have the option when saving, use a 1% compression rate for your jpg files for the least distortion. Naturally the file will be bigger...

Friday, October 14th 2005, 8:38pm

I'm just using Paint, so am not sure I have that luxury.

Friday, October 14th 2005, 11:29pm

For B&W I find gifs work best for posting. Using Ultimate Paint I can optimize gifs, even color ones, to reduce file size without color distortion.

Friday, October 14th 2005, 11:37pm

Quoted

I'm just using Paint, so am not sure I have that luxury

Don't think it does. I think Paint uses a standard 40 or 50 percent compression. That means smaller files, but the distortion is a real pain.
I always work with Paint, but for changing the bmp to jpg or gif I use Paint Shop Pro. Paint really (censor) up the colors when changing it to gif.

Saturday, October 15th 2005, 12:01am

My solution to the Jpeg or Tiff to Gif problem when saving pictures in the mspaint program is the following...

Saving picture from Tiff template to gif: copy and paste the picture you want to save to new file...then save as giff...picture will distort slightly....do nothing but repaste the same picture over the other and resave as giff. This will remove the distortion and save the picture as a giff from tiff but look like the original without the distortion.

I do the same with my Jpegs but its way more of a hassle, you get a reduced haze effect (left over pixels)thats why I saved my main warship template as a tiff, you get distortion in some colours but no where as nasty as the haze that developes from Jpeg to giff conversion.hope this makes sence.....

Maybe I'll do a test and show the results of each conversion.

Saturday, October 15th 2005, 12:15am

Not sure how to solve the png files issue but if you use jpegs you may go another route.....

Original picture in either jpeg, giff or tiff

tiff saved to gif

jpeg when saved, wow nice haze, gets worse every time you save

jpeg saved to gif, note reduced haze displayed as remaining pixles

Saturday, October 15th 2005, 2:32am

Nice little tug?

Saturday, October 15th 2005, 4:50am

Thought she would make a good test!