You are not logged in.

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 12:07am

A seaplane for a seaplane carrier

I am looking for a medium sized floatplane/ flying boat from around 1923-25 for service onboard a converted armoured cruiser. It should be able to carry either 4 100kg DC or the same amount of bombs. It should also be capable of carrying a torpdeo instead of the bombs. Minmal speed 150km/h.

It is a real airplane i am looking for.

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 12:13am

A bit optimistic

i think I was a bit optimistic, I need some like a Kingfisher or a Swordfish on floats from the early 20ies

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 7:48am

At that time airforces/navies were still using WW1 vintage. So get a book on WW1 airplanes and pick one. I think Junkers made a monoplane floatplane that was quite successful. There is also the Sopwith Cuckoo, which could carry a torpedo.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 12:23pm

Hmmm

Carrying a torpedo is a real nightmare for a 1920 floatplane. The largest - launched from bases not ships - could do the job but everything that could be used aboard a ship will not be able to do the trick in the early 20s. I´m not even sure if there ever was a shipborne seaplane that carried a torpedo because they would have carried the thing under the fuselage where it would cause problems when trying to catapult the plane...

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 2:46pm

my mistake psilander. It wasn't junkers but Heinkel designing Brandenburg floatplanes.

Swordfish floatplanes could have carried a torpedo but i have never seen a picture of one being carried. Bombs seem to be all that could be used with floatplanes.

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 3:53pm

Seaplane

I think it was a Shor t 184 floatplane that was the first to claim a succesfull torpedo launch and sinking of a ship in Dardanell campain. I think this aircraft is a bit to large and not sutiable for launch with catapult.

I have found some suggestions.
Sopwith Baby
+ Small, can carry bombs and machineguns
- short range, old?, singel seat

Hans-Brandenburg CC
+ a seaplane fighter
- no bombs, flyingboat

Hansa Brandenburg 29
+ Range, two seat, long range
- large, only machineguns
(has been in service with RSwAF from 1921-45)

any other suggestions?

Saturday, July 5th 2003, 9:27pm

There might be a possibility that you'll have to take a real world design and modify it. I did that with the Friedrichshafen FF-50-J reconnaissance aircraft used aboard the Japanese capital ships. The data I used for that one is based on the data of the Friedrichshafen FF 49 c. You could take one of those three designs and slighly alter it to suit your needs.

Walter