You are not logged in.

Friday, July 4th 2003, 6:10pm

hangar decks

Hey folks

I spent some time on the weekend drawing out my first aircraft carrier, and found (as the Indian Navy will soon find) that she doesn't have a whole lot of room in her hangars. It was actually quite enlightening, in an annoying way: a ship with the miscellaneous weight for 40 aircraft can perhaps stow 20 below decks at the moment. And that's with something the size of a WW1 Albatross.

I must say it makes me happy that she counts as experimental tonnage for early replacement...

Anyway...can anybody direct me to photographs or line drawings illustrating the manner in which aircraft are arranged inside hanagars? Are they nose to tail, or "angle-parked", or what? How does elevator location influence the parking?

Also, do hangars typically span the entire width of the ship, or is there exterior space for walkways, boat stowage, and so forth?

Finally, what is a realistic block co-efficient for a carrier hull? I've used .55 previously - is that kinda chunky for a flat-top?

I'm particularly interesting in smaller carriers in the 8,000 to 17,000 ton range, since the space problem is that much worse for them.

J

Friday, July 4th 2003, 10:19pm

well

When it comes to elevator placement it would seem lodgical for them to be placed at either end of the hangar, and if on a carrier with an island, have a third placed along side the island structure where the hangar is already more narrow do to the funnel uptakes being angled outward, unless you have a different funnel arrangement like the Ranger or Furious.