You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2022, 8:44pm

Long time, no see...

Not sure when I last popped in here, but I see things are pretty quiet. Hope everybody's well.

I'm slogging away at work and on the farm, doing ship stuff over at Navalism, writing, and D&D for fun, and learning to manage diabetes.

Cheers...

Rock.

Wednesday, August 3rd 2022, 5:53am

RE: Long time, no see...

Hey Rocky!

Not sure when I last popped in here, but I see things are pretty quiet. Hope everybody's well.

I'm doing well, and still usually check the board once or twice a day. Unfortunately I know Bruce passed away toward the end of 2021, and I know a few folks have had a difficult time of things over the last year. :( Not many of the crew around anymore... there's a few of us who occasionally still show up on the Wesworld discord channel, but that's been pretty quiet as well.

I've got a three-year old who keeps me busy. Also been writing, learning how to fall off a paddleboard, and I'm working to set up an 1890 naval game based on the Wesworld rules with some friends on Discord. We're playing on a map of Venus With Oceans, and I'm playing "Chile, if it was settled by the Swiss." We'll see how that goes, I guess. :)

Wednesday, August 3rd 2022, 11:46am

RE: RE: Long time, no see...

Hey Rocky!

I'm doing well, and still usually check the board once or twice a day. Unfortunately I know Bruce passed away toward the end of 2021, and I know a few folks have had a difficult time of things over the last year. :( Not many of the crew around anymore... there's a few of us who occasionally still show up on the Wesworld discord channel, but that's been pretty quiet as well.

I've got a three-year old who keeps me busy. Also been writing, learning how to fall off a paddleboard, and I'm working to set up an 1890 naval game based on the Wesworld rules with some friends on Discord. We're playing on a map of Venus With Oceans, and I'm playing "Chile, if it was settled by the Swiss." We'll see how that goes, I guess. :)

Hello to all .... i'm quite well also. Work and wife kept me busy during pandemia. For real ? Bruce died last year ? That's horrible to hear :( .... Even if it's been months now, this news hits me a lot, because I got to know him as a likeable and nice guy. Even if we just wrote.

I would be delighted to hear from you again.

Wednesday, August 3rd 2022, 8:19pm

I hadn't heard about Bruce, that's awful.

Glad to hear the two of you are doing well and have wives and/or young'uns to keep you busy. I feel like I tried to set up a game on Venus as an iteration of Navalism once, but our current go is just plain ol' Earth, with different nations.

Thursday, August 4th 2022, 2:58pm

Glad to hear the two of you are doing well and have wives and/or young'uns to keep you busy. I feel like I tried to set up a game on Venus as an iteration of Navalism once, but our current go is just plain ol' Earth, with different nations.

Yes, my cats and goats keep me busy too :D ;) If someone of you need a player for a game like we had here ;) i will be happy to hear from you :D otherwise i play World of Warships ;)

Friday, August 5th 2022, 12:31am

Yes, my cats and goats keep me busy too :D ;) If someone of you need a player for a game like we had here ;) i will be happy to hear from you :D otherwise i play World of Warships ;)

Hey Parador! If you're interested, we're playing on Discord. You can use this link to join, if you so wish. :)

Friday, August 5th 2022, 3:00pm

I feel like we've seen you at www.navalism.org before, but yeah, we'd certainly enjoy additional participants. Pop on over some time.

Saturday, August 6th 2022, 11:50am

Hey guys,

Long time no see, pretty amazed to see anyone still here!
Hope you are all doing ok.
I'm keeping busy with the day job and writing these days and Shipbucket art still.

Good to see that Navalism is still going. A sim via Discord sounds novel, is it going well?

Saturday, August 6th 2022, 6:39pm

Hey guys,

Long time no see, pretty amazed to see anyone still here!
Hope you are all doing ok.
I'm keeping busy with the day job and writing these days and Shipbucket art still.

Good to see that Navalism is still going. A sim via Discord sounds novel, is it going well?

Hi Hood,

thanks for asking. As mentioned above i'm very well, only busy by job and wife :) .... looks quite funny that one or the other is drawn here again and again ;).

Sunday, August 7th 2022, 4:25am

We're still getting it set up, but we now have seven players. I wrote up the rules based on Wesworld rules; there are a number of tweaks here and there, but largely the same.

One of the big things is that we arranged it so none of us are playing Great Powers, though there are a few on the planet. We're all middle-rank powers in terms of naval and economic strength. Think the equivalents of Wesworld Commonwealth (Canada, Australia), or Chile, Argentina, Belgium.

Tuesday, August 9th 2022, 10:29am

Yeah smaller is more fun and you don't need to stress about hyper stats to beat all the bad boys. A small navy knows its wimpy so can just concentrate on getting the best for what it can afford.

Thursday, August 11th 2022, 3:16am

Yeah smaller is more fun and you don't need to stress about hyper stats to beat all the bad boys. A small navy knows its wimpy so can just concentrate on getting the best for what it can afford.

Pretty much!

For various reasons, we set the game up to run with annual rather than quarterly budgets. I went ahead and used the factory system we have here, but made each one produce 1,000 tons per year (rather than per quarter). The nine player slots we set up therefore have between 6 to 22 factories (in two-factory increments). So our largest country in-game (22 factories) would be the Wesworld equivalent of a 5.5-factory power.

Surprisingly, that still feels like a lot of tonnage (particularly starting in 1890).

Saturday, August 13th 2022, 11:17am

It sounds like an interesting set up. I came to view the quarterly system here as a bit of a drag, while it provided a handy breakdown when accounting and building smaller vessels, I think overall it was cumbersome and a lot of work and errors did slip into people's calculations from time to time.

Yes ships were a lot smaller then, though I would think a 22 factory set up with 22,000 tons a year could still build a pretty impressive fleet in that era. 6,000 tons less so but probably enough for a cruiser and some smaller boats.
What are the build times like?

Sunday, August 14th 2022, 7:36pm

It sounds like an interesting set up. I came to view the quarterly system here as a bit of a drag, while it provided a handy breakdown when accounting and building smaller vessels, I think overall it was cumbersome and a lot of work and errors did slip into people's calculations from time to time.

I mostly viewed it as a simplification of the system, with some additional realism... I figured that since most countries fund their navies with an annual budget, then that makes a degree of sense.

Further, since I was working with players from a horribly overcomplicated naval sim, also run on Discord which failed because people were immature and the other GMs and I had enough, I wanted a system which was simple. I didn't want to have to devote two or three hours a day just to the vagaries of naval budgeting.

...it was a fun game though. Maybe later I'll drop something about it into the Non-WW Design Folder, if people are interested.

Yes ships were a lot smaller then, though I would think a 22 factory set up with 22,000 tons a year could still build a pretty impressive fleet in that era. 6,000 tons less so but probably enough for a cruiser and some smaller boats.
What are the build times like?

I kept the build times from Wesworld, no changes at all. Part of that is down to the fact that I also borrowed the Wesworld rules for Admiralty Board (the aforementioned failure), so most of our current players know the formula.

...the only thing I changed was that ships launch at 50%, not 40%.

Again, if folks are interested, I can make a separate thread and post some of the details.

Tuesday, August 16th 2022, 9:25am

Sure, either share here or if your happy for lurkers to pop by the Discord we could rummage there. Sounds like a simple set up, which is always the best I think.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, November 1st 2022, 11:58pm

Hello all!

HI all!
To hear about Bruce makes my heart sad.

Wasn't around for long myself. Business and family, corona and a general shift in interest. Tried to motivate myself for a comeback once or twice but failed...
But it is very nice to see some of you are still around, even returning. Wesworld is clocking, what, approx. 25 years now?

Wish you all the best,
Stephan

Friday, November 11th 2022, 4:13am

Hello!
I am sorry to hear about Bruce
Nowdays I am busy with university but I still play in the game Brock set up.

Saturday, November 12th 2022, 12:40pm

Good to see you around Stephan!

Yeah a few of us are now over at Brock's new Discord AU, feels a little like the old days again when we were young and ship crazy!

Saturday, July 8th 2023, 1:05am

Hi Guys ;)

If WesWorld has come to an end, we have free Empires to play on Navalism.
We just moved to 1927H1.

https://www.navalism.org/index.php

Jef ;)