You are not logged in.

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 8:51am

Greek army.

I made this post for everything about the greek army to avoid stockpile post on the folder.

Now to the matter.

First thanks to Brock for giving me so good drawing advices :D .
I still have to make the characteristics (suggestions welcome) but I think that will be a 6X4. Although I am still thinking on the capacity I have put the minimum in 2 tons or so. The length and width is something with I am struggling. I suppose that the length will be around the 7 or 8 meters (23; 26 ft more or less) and the width between 2 and 3 meters. The ground clearance. I have no idea of what is the standard for trucks.

Also I am thinking on ad some little changes to the draw. Like a slightly longer visor and some little visual changes such as the greek coat of arms.

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 8:53am

I am also having some trouble to post the image. I upload it on dropbox but apparently is not working. Any advice ?( ?

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 2:42pm

I am also having some trouble to post the image. I upload it on dropbox but apparently is not working. Any advice ?( ?

Hosting images with Dropbox requires some finessing. Read this thread to learn more.

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 8:50pm

Victory!!!! :D

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 9:08pm

In overall layout the design offered looks very much like the German leichte geländegängige Einheits-Lastkraftwagen, details of which can be found here.. Rather than opting for a 6x4 vehicle I would recommend a 6x6 configuration for better cross-country performance.

Germany has a side range of motor vehicles available for either export or co-production. Germany assisted Turkey with the development of its indigenous automobile industry. Details of the proposed plan can be found here

Sunday, June 21st 2020, 10:15pm

Quoted

In overall layout the design offered looks very much like the German leichte geländegängige Einheits-Lastkraftwagen, details of which can be found here.. Rather than opting for a 6x4 vehicle I would recommend a 6x6 configuration for better cross-country performance.

Germany has a side range of motor vehicles available for either export or co-production. Germany assisted Turkey with the development of its indigenous automobile industry. Details of the proposed plan can be found here

Well it was my starting point in conjunction with the Bedford MW. On the cab I changed the roof and the frontal window. I the back I changed the wheels and size and other details.
About the 6X6 I am considering it.
I am not sure yet but is quite possible that I will use a foreign motor.

Wednesday, June 24th 2020, 4:45pm

What do you think about this stats? Should I add something else? ?(

Length: 7,34 m

Width: 2,41
Height: 2,62
Ground clearance: 250 mm
Weight: 9800 kg
Capacity: 5200 kg
Speed: 65 km/h
Range:290 km

Wednesday, June 24th 2020, 5:37pm

What do you think about this stats? Should I add something else? ?(

Ground clearance: 250 mm
Weight: 9800 kg
Capacity: 5200 kg
Speed: 65 km/h
Range:290 km

That's a rather hefty vehicle you are describing. If those are the performance stats for the picture you've included above, I draw the following conclusions.

1 - The unladen weight of the vehicle (which I interpret to be 9800 kg) is much too high. Add the cargo and you are asking the engine (which is not specified) to haul 15 tonnes.
2 - The ground clearance is much too small - the truck would bottom out too often on any sort of rough terrain.

Wednesday, June 24th 2020, 9:20pm

Quoted

1 - The unladen weight of the vehicle (which I interpret to be 9800 kg) is much too high. Add the cargo and you are asking the engine (which is not specified) to haul 15 tonnes.
In that case I will reduce the weight to 8800 kg of curb weight and 4800 kg of capacity. About the engine. The 1945-6 Greece wouldn't able to design a truck engine on their own. So any help from other power either in form of a help with the design of an engine or an existing engine is welcome (not asking for a fully detailed engine just a name with horsepowers). I estimate (with my wide experience and knowledge on cars :P ) that around of 130 hp should be enough.

Quoted

2 - The ground clearance is much too small - the truck would bottom out too often on any sort of rough terrain.
I 500mm more reasonable?

Saturday, June 27th 2020, 12:31am

And the name shall be...

6X6 5-Tons Moulári

This is the final drawing of the truck.

This are the no so final stats:
Ground clearance: 500 mm
Crub Weight: 8700 kg
Capacity: 4800 kg
Speed: 60 km/h
Range: 280 km
Engine: ¿¿??

Monday, August 24th 2020, 12:04am

New Medium Tank Competition

The greek army is in need of replace its old medium tanks. I am thinking on the Centurion (if the british government agree), but feel free of change mind with any other design. This tanks would have been adquiere somewhen between 1945 and 1948. The total number of tanks needed would be of 240 but a few more could be requested to have some repair parts.

Monday, August 24th 2020, 12:29am

RE: New Medium Tank Competition

The greek army is in need of replace its old medium tanks. I am thinking on the Centurion (if the british government agree), but feel free of change mind with any other design. This tanks would have been adquiere somewhen between 1945 and 1948. The total number of tanks needed would be of 240 but a few more could be requested to have some repair parts.

The German Heer is willing to make available refurbished Standardpanzer Panther at reasonable cost. Deliveries can be made rapidly.

Friday, August 28th 2020, 11:53am

Britain is more than willing to sell the latest Centurion Mk.34 with the Leyland-Orenda Ursa 810hp D.X V-12 diesel engine and a 20pdr gun.

Friday, August 28th 2020, 2:46pm

The Republic of France is willing to sell AMX-40B3 tanks to the Greek Army. Similarly, the Russian Federation is willing to sell the T-45 Grom and T-47 Tsiklon to the Greek Army. The Czechs (Skoda) and Polish would also offer various designs, some of which are getting slightly outdated and some of which haven't appeared in service yet.

OOC: that said, my personal opinion is that the Centurion is probably by far the best choice for the Greeks. It ticks off all of the boxes for what I think the Greek armoured corps would best benefit from having: it'll have the best mobility on rugged terrain, great firepower, and good armour for defensive engagements. I will note that there is a Swiss variant of the Centurion with a larger but shorter-barreled 88mm: a little less armour penetration than the 20-pounder, but a longer barrel life and larger HE shell. (That's the version the Chilean Army purchased.)

Thursday, September 3rd 2020, 6:38am

After careful consideration the centurion is the chosen one, although the many of the capabilities of the french AMX-40 impressed many in the army, especially those that experienced the gas during the Great War.
The delivery would had started by early '48 either already converted to the swiss gun version or to be converted once in Greece, as the british government finds it most convenient.

Thursday, September 3rd 2020, 4:14pm

Good to do business with you.
I see no reason why the guns couldn't be installed during construction, unless if you have a preference to fit them locally?

Monday, September 21st 2020, 9:20pm

Hi, sorry for answering too late. I had final exams and it had been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least.
There is no particular reason why. I asked just in case you prefered to do it that way.

Tuesday, September 22nd 2020, 11:33am

OK, they will be delivered with the guns ready fitted. It will be easier that way for both parties.