You are not logged in.

Monday, May 4th 2020, 8:37pm

Georgiadis Hellenic Submachinegun 9mm (GH SM 9)

The gun have a forward magazine housing that is extended to function as grip. It has small extensions on the magazine housing going to the sides of the grip and the barrel to allow a real grip on the front of the gun to be screw in. Other small extension behind the line of the barrel allow more personalization of the sling.

Weight: 3,28 kg (unloaded) 3,96 kg (loaded)
Lenght: Total: 481 mm (683 mm extended stock)
Barrel: 230 mm
Cartridge: 9 x19 mm
Action: Blowback; open bolt
Muzzle velocity: 427 m/s
Range: 200 m
Rate of Fire: 550 rpm
Feed system: 30 rounds box magazine; 35 rounds curved box magazine
Sights: Front blade, rear notch (L shape flip-up to adjust between 50 m and 100 m)

Modes: Semi-auto and full-auto

Monday, May 4th 2020, 9:32pm

Overall, it looks to be generally reasonable. A few comments:

- 1. The weight appears a tiny bit on the low side, but isn't entirely out of range. (The Soviet PPS is still lighter by nearly a quarter kilogram.)
- 2. Barrel length is a tad bit on the short side, but again, this doesn't appear unreasonable. It could help explain the lower weight.
- 3. I question including a semi-auto mode. Most SMGs, in order to remain cool when operating at fully automatic, fire from an open bolt. (Meaning the trigger causes the bolt to drop, load a round into the chamber, and fire all at once.) In semi-automatic mode, firing from the open bolt degrades accuracy quite badly. Even including the option means more mechanical complexity.

Monday, May 4th 2020, 10:30pm

Quoted

- 1. The weight appears a tiny bit on the low side, but isn't entirely out of range. (The Soviet PPS is still lighter by nearly a quarter kilogram.)

I wasn't sure about the weight for that same reason.

Quoted

- 2. Barrel length is a tad bit on the short side, but again, this doesn't appear unreasonable. It could help explain the lower weight.
I looked at other submachine guns (MAT-49; Sterling; MP 36 and 40)and then try to keep around the same length.

Quoted

- 3. I question including a semi-auto mode. Most SMGs, in order to remain cool when operating at fully automatic, fire from an open bolt. (Meaning the trigger causes the bolt to drop, load a round into the chamber, and fire all at once.) In semi-automatic mode, firing from the open bolt degrades accuracy quite badly. Even including the option means more mechanical complexity.

I knew that it would make it more complex but I had no idea about the precision problem. Thanks :).

Wednesday, May 6th 2020, 9:29pm

I will increase a bit the weight and get rid of the semi-automatic

Wednesday, May 6th 2020, 10:00pm

I will increase a bit the weight and get rid of the semi-automatic

If you'd like, that's fine. As stated, I think everything would be fine as it currently stands, but I believe the changes will make it just a little bit more appropriate for the historical norm. :)

Wednesday, May 6th 2020, 10:37pm

The changes really don't make much difference. Now I am debating with myself if I should not leave the semi-auto mode or not. But don't worry. I don't feel obligated or anything of that kind. :)

Wednesday, May 6th 2020, 11:34pm

While I was writing the history behind the gun and other things two ideas came to my mind but I am not sure if they are possible.
The first is attach a flashlight to the front of the gun utilising the holes to screw the frontal grip and the sling.
The second (that I think is possible but rather rare) is a left hand friendly bolt. This could be made in two ways.

1. The bolt handle is divided in two. The part connected to the bolt and a "top" that would be hold toweder using a screw. In the bottom of the "top" two sticks will give an extra drag to the bolt. Between this two a thin pice of metal can be colocated. It would go around the top of the gun to the other side, simulating a bolt handle.

2.The same but the "top" would be interchangeable. Having a normal bolt and a bolt that integrated this thin piece of metal.

The major problem with the left handed bolt is that it may block the sights. ?(

Thursday, May 7th 2020, 1:28am

While I was writing the history behind the gun and other things two ideas came to my mind but I am not sure if they are possible.
The first is attach a flashlight to the front of the gun utilising the holes to screw the frontal grip and the sling.

I don't think I've seen anyone do this until probably the 1970s or 1980s with the H&K MP5.

I see a few potential reasons why this is the case:
-- Electronics of this era, including flashlights, are significantly more clunky than modern tactical lights. Adding a light on the front end of a submachine gun adds weight and bulk.
-- Vibrations from firing the gun will... not be good for the survivability of the electronics in the flashlight. It's my observation that tactical lights only really take off within the last two decades or so, when high-intensity LED lights start to be perfected. These are actually bright enough to dazzle, small enough not to overweight the weapon, and solidly-built enough to survive vibrations.
-- Any attempt to illuminate something with the flashlight also requires pointing the gun at it. This can be a pretty major violation of gun safety rules. (I know, I know - if you're at war, it involves pointing guns at things... but gun safety is still a very important thing!)

The second (that I think is possible but rather rare) is a left hand friendly bolt. This could be made in two ways.

1. The bolt handle is divided in two. The part connected to the bolt and a "top" that would be hold toweder using a screw. In the bottom of the "top" two sticks will give an extra drag to the bolt. Between this two a thin pice of metal can be colocated. It would go around the top of the gun to the other side, simulating a bolt handle.

2.The same but the "top" would be interchangeable. Having a normal bolt and a bolt that integrated this thin piece of metal.

The major problem with the left handed bolt is that it may block the sights. ?(

I'm not entirely sure I followed your description well enough to comment.

One of the major issues with left-handed shooters and... guns in general is that some things just don't mirror very well mechanically. This becomes much more acute when dealing with SMGs, since everything's in a tight package. If you get a left-handed bolt, it still doesn't help the lefty, because the ejector port is still on the right side (spitting spent brass into their face). It's difficult to make an ambidextrous ejection port, because the ejector itself is often designed to throw the spent casing in a particular direction. That's why, even with modern civilian firearms, many companies just offer mirrored left-handed variants of their normal guns for the ~10% of shooters who are southpaws.

With military firearms, adding any sort of ambidextrous functionality becomes even more obnoxious. Standardization is always king in military procurement, so no Armaments Bureau chief will agree to any proposal of "let's give soldiers this optional extra bit to use if they're left-handed". If that extra bit includes a moving part (...like a bolt handle...) you now also have another entry point for dust, mud, small sticks, fingers, and other things which may gum up the operation of the gun.

All other things being equal, up until within the last five to ten years, most military shooters always trained for right-handed shooting not because of the bolt location, but because of right-facing casing ejection. Nobody wants to shoot and immediately get popped in the nose with hot brass...

That said, there are a few interesting alternatives that I'd suggest you look at.

Both the FN FAL and the H&K G3 (as well as many H&K submachine guns including the MP5) have a left-hand cocking handle (even for right-handed shooters). The theory is that a right-handed shooter will keep their right hand on the pistol grip while using their left to load the magazine and then charge the cocking handle. I've no idea what left-handed shooters think of this.

Also, take a look at the Israeli Galil - their version of the AK-47, descended from the Finnish Rk-62. I think the Israelis came up with one of the most simple solutions to help a lefty shooter in a right-handed world: they bent the cocking handle upward at a right angle. A right-handed shooter can use it like normal, while a left-handed shooter doesn't have to reach something that's halfway around the gun. There are absolutely no extra parts or pieces to increase mechanical complexity, and the added weight is actually rather small.

Thursday, May 7th 2020, 1:56am

Quoted

I don't think I've seen anyone do this until probably the 1970s or 1980s with the H&K MP5.

I see a few potential reasons why this is the case:
-- Electronics of this era, including flashlights, are significantly more clunky than modern tactical lights. Adding a light on the front end of a submachine gun adds weight and bulk.
-- Vibrations from firing the gun will... not be good for the survivability of the electronics in the flashlight. It's my observation that tactical lights only really take off within the last two decades or so, when high-intensity LED lights start to be perfected. These are actually bright enough to dazzle, small enough not to overweight the weapon, and solidly-built enough to survive vibrations.
Mmmh. I can't say that I didn't see that coming. The electricity is really a mass thing now days, isn't it?

Quoted

If you get a left-handed bolt, it still doesn't help the lefty, because the ejector port is still on the right side (spitting spent brass into their face)
I didn't take that in count.

Quoted

With military firearms, adding any sort of ambidextrous functionality becomes even more obnoxious. Standardization is always king in military procurement, so no Armaments Bureau chief will agree to any proposal of "let's give soldiers this optional extra bit to use if they're left-handed". If that extra bit includes a moving part (...like a bolt handle...) you now also have another entry point for dust, mud, small sticks, fingers, and other things which may gum up the operation of the gun.

I was thinking on it as a feature for more specialized units that really need the ergonomics as security forces.

Quoted

Also, take a look at the Israeli Galil - their version of the AK-47, descended from the Finnish Rk-62. I think the Israelis came up with one of the most simple solutions to help a lefty shooter in a right-handed world: they bent the cocking handle upward at a right angle. A right-handed shooter can use it like normal, while a left-handed shooter doesn't have to reach something that's halfway around the gun. There are absolutely no extra parts or pieces to increase mechanical complexity, and the added weight is actually rather small.This look as a better option and less complex

This look as a better option and less complex. :thumbup:

Thursday, May 7th 2020, 1:59am

Quoted

I'm not entirely sure I followed your description well enough to comment.
I basically propose something to simulate the bolt handle in the complete opposite side.

Thursday, May 7th 2020, 7:04pm

Well here is the final modification of the gun. Also I fix a little error in the name of the gun so now it is the GH SMG 9.

Weight: 3,38 kg (unloaded) 4,06 kg (loaded) (increased in 10 grams/around 0.35 ounce)
Lenght: Total: 481 mm (683 mm extended stock)
Barrel: 230 mm
Cartridge: 9 x19 mm
Action: Blowback; open bolt
Muzzle velocity: 427 m/s
Range: 200 m
Rate of Fire: 550 rpm
Feed system: 30 rounds box magazine; 35 rounds curved box magazine
Sights: Front blade, rear notch (L shape flip-up to adjust between 50 m and 100 m)
Modes: Semi-auto and full-auto

Thursday, May 7th 2020, 8:27pm

Looks good. :)