You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 29th 2020, 5:31pm

Dassault Ouragan III

Rough design specs for an improved Dassault Ourangan. I didn't want to introduce the Dassault Mystère early, but the Ouragan II isn't fully competitive with some of the latest fighters emerging elsewhere. Thus, the Ouragan III will be roughly a halfway mark between the preceding Ouragan and the Mystère, which will fly in February 1951 as historical.

Quoted

Dassault MD.452 Ouragan III

General characteristics
Crew: One
Length: 11.215 m
Wingspan: 13.13 m
Height: 4.2 m
Wing area: 27.05 m²
Empty weight: 4683 kg
Max takeoff weight: 7687 kg
Powerplant: 1 × Snecma M-45 axial turbojet, 25.8 kN

Performance
Never exceed speed: Mach 0.85
Maximum speed: 1000 km/h (Mach 0.82) at sea level
Cruise speed: 750 km/h
Combat radius: 667 km
Ferry range: 1150 km
Service ceiling: 14125 m
Rate of climb: 25 m/s
Takeoff distance: 790 m
Landing distance: 930 m

Armament
Guns: 4 × 23 mm DEFA 501 revolver cannon with 125 rounds per gun
Rockets: 16× 105 mm (4.1 in) Brandt T-10 air-to-ground unguided rockets; or, 2× Matra rocket pods with 18× SNEB 68 mm rockets each
Bombs: 2,270 kg of payload on four external hardpoints, including a variety of unguided iron bombs such as 2× 454 kg bombs or 2× 458 liter napalm bombs or drop tanks for extended range.

Notes
First flying in 1949, the Ouragan III incorporated a number of changes into the existing design. The largest upgrade was the substitution of the new Snecma M-45 axial turbojet for the Rateau-Anxionnaz A.65 centrifugal turbojet. The M-45 provided significantly better thrust and maintenance characteristics, although some changes to the fuselage were required in order to fit the longer, narrower engine. A modest swept wing of twenty degrees rounded out the changes.

The Ouragan III was the final evolutionary development in the line, after which Dassault turned to the Mystère.

Saturday, May 2nd 2020, 6:10pm

I can't find an OTL development of the Ouragan quite like this as a stepping stone to the Mystere - which is surprising actually - but I think this is reasonable development of the basic design and entirely plausible.

Saturday, May 2nd 2020, 8:36pm

I wonder if your WW Ouragan III might be very much like the OTL Mystere IIC

Saturday, May 2nd 2020, 9:36pm

I wonder if your WW Ouragan III might be very much like the OTL Mystere IIC

It will have some, but not all of the features.

The Ouragan III doesn't have as much sweep to the wings as the Mystere. The standard (historical) Ouragan has, if I remember the figures correctly, a 15-deg sweep on the leading edge of the wings, while the Mystere has a 30-deg sweep to the wings. The new Ouragan-III sits in between the two historical aircraft, with a 20-deg swept wing.