You are not logged in.

Friday, March 27th 2020, 5:56pm

Yes but if you can acquire a FAL in selective fire a semi automatic version would have to be for marksman or snipers. For that task an spesialiced rifel wouldd make it better.

Friday, March 27th 2020, 6:15pm

Well it can be restricted to single shot I guess like the OTL British FALs.

As a bit of an aside:

During the Falklands War, the British soldiers often discarded their semi-auto only L1A1s (FALs) in favor of battlefield-pickup Argentine FALs, which had a full-auto setting. Ammunition expenditure increased dramatically, and Argentine casualties... well, there was absolutely no effect there. Battlefield studies for decades (actually since the 1930s) have repeatedly shown that giving the average soldier a fully automatic rifle does almost nothing from a combat standpoint. Putting lots of rounds downrange raises the soldier's morale, but it generally lowers his accuracy and depletes his ammunition.

The US and a number of other countries have addressed this by giving the "three-round burst" option on a number of rifles. It helps the soldier feel he's Doing Something, but slows his ammunition expenditure down so he's wasting less of his ammo. If memory serves, the ammunition expenditure per target is still six to eight times as high as it is for semi-auto only rifles, but hey - at least the soldiers feel better.

Side-note: as France starts license-building their own FN FALs, they're sticking with semi-auto for the standard infantry-man's rifle, and mounting integral bipods on their FALs to help with prone shooting. The French Army's infantry training emphasizes deliberate aimed fire for riflemen.

Friday, March 27th 2020, 6:24pm

What about teaching the soldiers to go on semi-auto and only use automatic below the 3 or 2 hundred meters (328 or 218 yards)?

Friday, March 27th 2020, 6:54pm

What about teaching the soldiers to go on semi-auto and only use automatic below the 3 or 2 hundred meters (328 or 218 yards)?

There's some merit to training, of course, presuming you've trained in a realistic enough way and done it enough that the soldier defaults to their training. That said, the studies I've read generally seem to show that a lot of soldiers who are engaged in a gunfight are usually undergoing a Significant Emotional Event, and aren't making the most well-informed and rational choices.

From all of the reading I've done, most small arms combat in wartime is actually done at fairly close range. The exact statistics vary wildly according to your theatre of operations, of course: US troops in Afghanistan averaged battle ranges of around 400 yards, due to the mountains and limited ground cover, while German troops on the Eastern Front averaged less than a hundred yards. Hence why the German Army adopted the 7.92x33 Kurz in their first Sturmgewehr, and the Soviets responded with 7.62x39 Rus.

From my own personal experience, I wouldn't actually expect full auto fire to be effective at hitting a man-sized target past twenty-five yards or so, unless you're shooting prone with a bipod or using a tripod-mounted machine gun.

Friday, March 27th 2020, 7:09pm

Mmmmh. Then a bipod is mandatory, even if is not possible to use always. And some semi-autos would have to be delivered to each squadron forcing them to have some accurate fire while maintaining the advantage of moral and on close combat. And we would be back to the markmans i guess. Even in that case t same cartridge will be necessary to not let anyone without of ammunition. :?:

Friday, March 27th 2020, 8:09pm

An option for Greece to consider.

The German Heer adopted the Selbstlade Gewehr G5, a licensed version of the Kazanlak SK-42, in 8mm Mauser. With the adoption of the 7.92x45mm cartridge the older G5s that will be retained in service are being rechambered for the new cartridge. This information has been shared with both Kazanlak and SIG who would be in a position to provide similar new-build weapons to Greece, if desired.

Or, Greece could consider the G-11 rifle that has been adopted by the Kriegsmarine's landing troops - essentially the OTL FG42 with integral bipod and select fire capability.

Saturday, March 28th 2020, 5:01pm

After serious consideration the Kingdom of Greece has decide that the FAL in the 6.5x51 FAR caliber is adequate for its expectatives and will be adopted to produce under licens.

Sunday, March 29th 2020, 11:11am

Fabrique Nationale is pleased to do business with Greece.