You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 12:36am

Air Display Teams

It has come to my notice that the modern German Luftwaffe does not have an aerobatic display unit akin to the USAF Thunderbirds or RAF Red Arrows. In the dim mists of Wesworld's history has the Wesworld Luftwaffe every had such a team?

If not, I think I shall have to invent one. Name suggestions welcome.

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 6:59am

Only thing in Wesworld that I can find is that Donnerschlag participated during the 1944 Chevaliers du Ciel event.

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/index.php?pag…7345#post127345

There is also Marine Jagd-sfaffel 141 that took part during the first event, but that looks more like some members selected from Marine Jagd-sfaffel 141 that were sent there rather than a dedicate display team.

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 12:33pm

Thank you! I had forgotten about that event. And you are right - that was a team put together solely for that event, not a formal service display team. I am not exactly certain why RW Germany does not have one - anyone have thoughts on the rationale?

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 5:01pm

I am not sure of the rationale, perhaps it was purely economic or the lack of spare airframes/pilots to set aside.
Displays seem to be down to individual units but saying that they have graced the skies with many wonderful special colour schemes so the crowds have gained in other ways.

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 5:10pm

Way back when the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels were touted as good recruiting tools, projecting the image of flight to my generation. I suppose that they still do so today. I have seen the former on a couple of occasions in the past and their displays are thrilling.

So I am convinced that WW Germany needs a display team. Now to come up with a meaningful name that is pronounceable in German and avoids Schwarz, Rote, and Ritter.

Saturday, August 24th 2019, 6:39pm

Quoted

Thank you! I had forgotten about that event. And you are right - that was a team put together solely for that event, not a formal service display team.

Marine Jagd-sfaffel 141 certainly would. Perhaps Donnerschlag as well, but with such a specific name, I am not sure. I do not see why Germany would not continue with that team afterwards to promote the German Air Service. Even Marine Jagd-sfaffel 141 could have been continued for the Navy as a team with a formal name being given to them.

Quoted

I am not exactly certain why RW Germany does not have one - anyone have thoughts on the rationale?

Maybe they do not like to be a bunch of show-offs. :)

West Germany appeared to have had a few teams, but none after them. Perhaps the Ramstein disaster might have played an issue with any such decisions.

Quoted

they have graced the skies with many wonderful special colour schemes

... and lots with boring colour schemes as well. :)

Monday, August 26th 2019, 7:34pm

Wasn't there a West German team that was disbanded after the June 1962 crash of 4 F-104Gs?