You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:03pm

Cumberland took 22 hours to arrive, there was a window of opportunity for the Graf Spee to escape.

During which point the Germans were repairing their ship. There was no window for the ship to escape successfully.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:05pm

I'm calling it on this one.

the British Royal Navy wins

RN - 1

Pocket Capital Ships - 0

for a fleet of pocket battlecruisers you could buy enough submarines to sink the entire enemy merchant marine.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:15pm

IMO, if you want a pocket battleship, take out the pocket and build a real battleship. Imperial as she is now is more valuable than a pocket battleship, due to her likely needing more resources to put to the bottom than the pocket battleship.

Options are IMHO

1) Scrap her, but remove the 15in turrets for a Vanguard/coastal batteries/4 monitors (there are 4 turrets after all).

2) Refit her.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:23pm

BTW. by modern standards Imperial IS a pocket battleship. just one of the consequences of retaining a pre WW1 super-dreadnaught past the second world war.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:26pm

BTW. by modern standards Imperial IS a pocket battleship. just one of the consequences of retaining a pre WW1 super-dreadnaught past the second world war.

Pfft.

Tuesday, December 24th 2013, 10:30pm

Pfft.
Agree with Brock. The Imperial is still a battleship.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Friday, December 27th 2013, 11:41am

I keep saying what Brock and snip have said. An R Class battleship is nothing to take lightly. Had it been refitted with modern DP secondaries, radar and perhaps some new engines and additional deck armour it would be a powerful ship. But, I agree Imperial is slow and old and badly dated in her original form as she currently exists.

I don't like the concept of 'pocket' battleships, they don't exist, they are heavy cruisers with bigger than Washington limit guns. Nothing more, nothing less. The Pazerschiff were a reaction to a particular set of treaty restrictions. The later P-1 class that were never built were more akin to battlecruisers. The Imperial is a dreadnought, plain and simple. I toyed with 12in armed monitors for Argentina several times but really the cost was unjustifiable for glorified coastal defence ships. A couple of modern battleships built with old 15in guns would make more sense in the long term.

Saturday, December 28th 2013, 5:46am

alright. thank you for your input. I am convinced.