You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 4:12pm

Peruvian cruiser ALMIRANE GRAU

Based at real Spanish cruisers at the Civil War

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 4:18pm

ALVAMA, beautiful artwork as usual. I think she has a gorgeous hull, but the superstructure and funnels make me want to hurk. (Not your fault obviously, it's a real ship who was actually that ugly.)

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 4:40pm

Thank-you!

It's based on The Spanish real-life cruiser whish I love.... named Canarias, Baleares, Núñez and Navarra.
She would be build at Iberia, so I've give here a typical Spanish look so...

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 5:22pm

As stated elsewhere, the Chilean Navy very much respects this ship, its capabilities, its crew, and its namesake; this is a cruiser which is worthy of that respect.

I have one tiiiiiny request, Alex, based off the Peruvian War. The Chileans highly respect the ship Grau and the Admiral she's named after, and in 1939:

Quoted

The crews of the Oyama and O'Higgins additionally presented the Grau's crew with a plaque engraved with the phrase "Meritorio" (Meritorious) in respect for the Grau's escape. This plaque was eventually mounted on the side of Grau's 'A' turret, where it would remain throughout the Grau's career.

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 5:26pm

I'm sorry for that I'll make it now!!

What about the ship? Good enough for the respect? :( :(

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 5:32pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ALVAMA
I'm sorry for that I'll make it now!!

Am not offended. I just wanted to point out a tiny obscure fact that I mentioned there - I wanted to make sure it wasn't lost! :)

Quoted

Originally posted by ALVAMA
What about the ship? Good enough for the respect? :( :(

Indeed it is. I love the funnel - I've always enjoyed slightly offbeat funnel designs. In fact, while the superstructure design is "different", I really do think she looks ugly-duckling lovely.

Sunday, November 22nd 2009, 5:47pm

Zoom in a the pic and she it!! (flag and sailor) :)

Tower based at this

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "ALVAMA" (Nov 23rd 2009, 6:09pm)

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 12:06am

I LOVE the forward tower design that the Spanish used historically and it suits Grau quite nicely!

Wasn't Grau built by the Indians?

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 1:02am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Wasn't Grau built by the Indians?

Nope, built by Iberia.

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 2:14am

Ah excellent then, I thought if she was built in India it might be unusual for her to look Iberian.

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 2:30am

Yanno, after seeing Grau, perhaps I should order a cousin of her for Bulgaria...

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:22am

You do that, and Mexico will have to sell more weapons to Yugoslavia...

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:35am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Bulgaria reminds Mexico that it earned the nickname "The Prussia of the Balkans" for a very good reason. Welcome to Europa...

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 11:23am

Good looking ship ALVAMA!

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:31pm

Quoted

Yes, please do! Bulgaria is one of the largest customers that Atlantis has right behind Chile and Colombia!

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:50pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin

Quoted

Yes, please do! Bulgaria is one of the largest customers that Atlantis has right behind Chile and Colombia!

*Overheard in Atlantis, an Atlantean salesman showing some new hardware to a Bulgarian military buyer*

A: "And over here, sir, we have a brand-new-"
B: "We'll take it."
A: "But you don't even know what it is! You haven't seen it yet!"
B: "Doesn't matter. We'll need some. Say, forty-eight." *Gets out checkbook and starts writing.*
A: "It's good to do business with Bulgaria, sir!" :D :P

It is possible that the Bulgarian Army Supply Office has a button that says "Buy Atlantean" which they push once or twice a day...

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 3:59pm

...either that or they accidentially sit on the button. :D

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 4:11pm

Well, it's right next to their "Send the junior officers to buy us some beer and cigarettes" button, too.

Edit:
Just so my comments don't come off in a vacuum, Bulgaria is acutely interested in acquiring a flagship heavy cruiser around the size of the Grau or the Mexican Villa. The Villa, IMHO, is the superior unit for the money, BUT the Mexicans are rather sending a lot of military hardware to Yugoslavia (Bulgaria's least-favorite neighbor). This unfortunately makes a Bulgarian copy of the Almirante Grau more politically feasible than the acquisition of a Pancho Villa unit. Bulgaria also notes that it would be cheaper to design a joint Turkish-Bulgarian heavy cruiser built in Turkish shipyards than to buy a design from Mexico.

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 9:47pm

One ship more!!!

Monday, November 23rd 2009, 9:56pm

Although I like your ships in general, the Amiral Tucker I dont like, why not a Grau type single funnel and why an aircraft on a destroyer?