You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:05am

Tall Ships Race+Challenge 1941

That time of the game again! Being an odd-numbered year, both the Tall Ships Race and the Tall Ships Challenge are conducted. However, the winds of war have caused a disruption in the intended Tall Ships Challenge, which was planned for Cam Ranh Bay to Hong Kong to Shanghai. Due to uncertainties about dangers even to neutral ships in these waters, an alternate TSC course is proposed and the original 1941 TSC proposal is shelved for reuse in more peaceful times.

Quoted

[SIZE=3]Tall Ships Race 1941[/SIZE]
The Tall Ships Race shall consist of two race legs approximately 400nm in length, separated by a cruise-in-company. Four Port Reviews will be made during the race. (Race courses are designed to call at the largest number of countries possible - at least three, and preferably four.) This year's Tall Ships Race is scheduled to dovetail with Kiel Week in Germany.

[SIZE=3]Rules:[/SIZE]
- At least 50% of the crews of each ship must consist of young people (under 25 years old).
- Use of engines results in disqualification: ships may only race under sail.
- Entries are open to all monohull sailing vessels of at least 9.4 metres length (30 ft).
- Countries may enter up to two ships per category, with a maximum of six ships overall.
- Ships must meet safety requirements and pass safety inspection. **

[SIZE=3]Course and Timetable:[/SIZE]
- St. Petersburg to Stockholm: 400nm
- Stockholm to Danzig: 382nm
- Danzig (Poland) to Aarhus (Denmark): 395nm

All dates are subject to the vagaries of wind, weather, tide, and acts of God and should not be regarded as absolute.
May 25-29th: Petrograd/St. Petersburg Review
May 27th: Anniversary of Petrograd/St. Petersburg's founding
May 29th: depart Petrograd/St. Petersburg
May 29th-June 1st: Race Leg One
June 1st: arrive Stockholm
June 1st-6th: Stockholm Review
June 6th: depart Stockholm
June 6th-8th: Cruise in Company
June 8th: arrive Danzig
June 8th-14th: Danzig review
June 14th: depart Danzig
June 14th-17th: Race Leg Two
June 17th: arrive Aarhus
June 17th-23rd: Aarhus Review
June 21st: Awards and Closing Ceremony, annual Tall Ships Race committee meeting.

[SIZE=3]Classifications:[/SIZE]
Class A: All vessels over 160 feet in length, regardless of rig, and square rigged vessels over 120 feet in length.
Class A; Division II: All square rigged vessels less than 120 feet in length.
Class A: Division III: Vintage Class A vessels laid down pre-1860 or replicas of same.
Class B: Fore-and-aft rigged vessels between 100 feet and 160 feet in length
Class C: All other fore-and-aft rigged vessels at least 30 feet long at the waterline.

[SIZE=1]All dimensions are counted from the waterline.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Prizes:[/SIZE]
- To the winner of the Class A race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR White Banner" for a year; ceremonial flagship for next year's race.
- To the winner of the Class A Division II race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Green Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class A Division III race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Green and White Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class B race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Red Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class C race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSR Blue Banner" for a year.

[SIZE=3]Title Holders:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1](1940 winners)[/SIZE]
- Danish ship Danmark serves as ceremonial flagship and holder of the TSR White Banner (Class A Division I).
- Yugoslavian barque Pelikan is holder of the TSR Green Banner (Class A Division II).
- American frigate Constitution is holder of the TSR Green and White Banner (Class A Division III).
- Canadian schooner Bluenose is holder of the TSR Red Banner (Class B).
- British schooner Jolie Brise is holder of the TSR Blue Banner (Class C).

Quoted

[SIZE=3]Tall Ships Challenge 1941[/SIZE]
The Tall Ships Challenge shall consist of two race legs approximately 700nm in length. Three Port Reviews will be made during the race.

[SIZE=3]Rules:[/SIZE]
- At least 50% of the crews of each ship must consist of young people (under 25 years old).
- Use of engines results in disqualification: ships may only race under sail.
- Entries are open to all monohull sailing vessels of at least 9.4 metres length (30 ft).
- Countries may enter up to two ships per category, with a maximum of six ships overall.
- Ships are timed from their start time at Alexandria to their end time at Rhodes; they are required to call at Valetta for a minimum of 48 hours. (Time spent in Valetta is subtracted from final time.)
- Ships must meet safety requirements and pass safety inspection. **

[SIZE=3]Course:[/SIZE]
- Alexandria to Valetta: 815nm
- Valetta to Rhodes: 725nm (via S. of Crete)

[SIZE=3]Classifications:[/SIZE]
Same as TSR.

[SIZE=3]Timetable:[/SIZE]
All dates are subject to the vagaries of wind, weather, tide, and acts of God and should not be regarded as absolute.
- August 12th-18th: Alexandria Review
- August 18th: depart Alexandria
- August 18th-September 5th: Tall Ships Challenge
- September 5th: Awards Ceremony (Rhodes)

[SIZE=3]Prizes:[/SIZE]
- To the winner of the Class A race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSC White Banner" for a year; ceremonial flagship for next year's race.
- To the winner of the Class A Division II race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSC Green Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class A Division II race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSC Green and White Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class B race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSC Red Banner" for a year.
- To the winner of the Class C race: a gold cup and the right to wear the "TSC Blue Banner" for a year.

[SIZE=3]Title Holders:[/SIZE] [SIZE=1](1939 winners)[/SIZE]
- Atlantean barque Atlantes serves as ceremonial flagship and holder of the TSC White Banner (Class A Division I).
- British barque British Steel is holder of the TSC Green Banner (Class A Division II).
- Atlantean frigate Alala is holder of the TSC Green and White Banner (Class A Division III).
- Canadian schooner Bluenose is holder of the TSC Red Banner (Class B).
- Bulgarian schooner Topaz is holder of the TSC Blue Banner (Class C).

** - Joke submissions such as rafts and sail-powered submarines will be summarily rejected.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:10am

[SIZE=3]Entries:[/SIZE]
Please submit the ship's name and which class it's entered in. Previous entries are already on file. New entries, particularly if the vessels are ahistorical, should include dimensions (waterline and overall), the ship's rig, and the size of her crew. Entries will be held open until I get enough ships to make a satisfactory race or until I decide to make the writeup.

1. Ship Name: ___________________
2. Nationality: ___________________
3. Rig: _________________________
4. Crew Size: ___________________
5. Classification: __________________
6. (Optional) Known Speeds: _______

[SIZE=4]Tall Ships Race Participants:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Defending title-holders are automatically entered; if the ship is NOT participating, tell me.[/SIZE]

Class A Division I
- Argentine barque Presidente Sarmiento
- Atlantean barque Atlantes
- Australian barque Southern Cross
- British barque Prince of Wales
- Bulgarian ship Balgarski Lav
- Chilean barque Esmeralda
- Danish ship Danmark
- French barques Belle Poule and Étoile
- German barque Deutschland
- German barque Pamir
- Iberian schooner Juan Sebastian de Elcano
- Irish barque High Adventure
- Mexican barque Cuauhtemoc

Class A Division II
- Atlantean brig Namu
- British barque British Steel
- French barkentine Cote d'Émeraude
- Iberian barque Marques
- Russian barque Mir
- Yugoslavian barque Pelikan

Class A Division III
- Atlantean Frigate Alala
- Atlantean snow Edna II
- British frigate Trincomalee
- Canadian Frigate Shannon
- Canadian schooner Liverpool Packet
- Latvian frigate L'Esperance
- United States frigate Constitution

Class B
- Canadian schooner Bluenose
- French schooner Alouette
- Irish Topsail Schooner Red Hand

Class C
- Atlantean Schooner Flamme
- British sloop Jolie Brise
- British schooner Royalist
- Bulgarian Pilot Schooner Topaz
- Canadian Schooner Maple Leaf

[SIZE=4]Tall Ships Challenge Participants:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Defending title-holders are automatically entered; if the ship is NOT participating, tell me.[/SIZE]

Class A Division I
- Argentine barque Presidente Sarmiento
- Atlantean barque Atlantes
- Australian barque Southern Cross
- British barque Prince of Wales
- Bulgarian ship Balgarski Lav
- Chilean barque Esmeralda
- Danish ship Danmark
- French barques Belle Poule and Étoile
- German barque Nautilus
- German barque Seeadler
- Iberian schooner Juan Sebastian de Elcano
- Irish barkentine High Seas
- Mexican barque Cuauhtemoc

Class A Division II
- Atlantean brig Namu
- British barque British Steel
- Iberian barque Marques
- Russian barque Mir
- Yugoslavian barque Pelikan

Class A Division III
- Atlantean Frigate Alala
- Atlantean snow Edna II
- Canadian Frigate Shannon
- Canadian schooner Liverpool Packet
- Latvian frigate L'Esperance

Class B
- Canadian schooner Bluenose
- French schooner Alouette
- Irish Topsail Schooner Red Hand

Class C
- Atlantean Schooner Flamme
- British sloop Jolie Brise
- British schooner Royalist
- Bulgarian Pilot Schooner Topaz
- Canadian Schooner Maple Leaf

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:18am

I've gone ahead and added my submittals for France, Ireland, Bulgaria, and Chile.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:18am

Quoted

** - Joke submissions such as rafts and sail-powered submarines will be summarily rejected.

Awww, I actually own the following ship...

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:21am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox

Quoted

Awww, I actually own the following ship...

Heh!

...and that was actually aimed at Tex, since he tried to submit one last year. :P

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 6:44am

Added in Australian, Mexican, and Canadian participants.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 7:15am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
Let's make it better, eh?

Quoted

The L'Esperance was orginally built in 1759, as one of the last ships ever built for the Independence Duchy of Courland before it was absorbed into the Russian Empire, as a 28 gunned frigate, with 24 9 pounders and 4 4 pounders. In 1795, when it was absorbed into the Russian Empire, the L'Esperance was put into service with the Russian Fleet, until 1806, when advances in technology and the wear and tear on the hull caused the Baltic Fleet to sell this ship. The purchaser of this ship happened to be the Kniaz of Riga, who had the ship completely refurbished, with what amounted to a reconstruction of the hull, and a completely redone stern cabin, with spacious accomidations, for use as his personal yacht. 18 guns remained on the hull, for "self-defense" purposes, as this was during the height of the Napoleonic Wars. The ship remained in relatively good condition until 1857. In 1921, as a celebration of the independence of Latvia, the ship was formally recommissioned as a "into the newly created Latvian Navy, and refitted back to its orginal state, including a new copper bottom, and with 28 guns. The ship, since then, has sailed once every three years from Riga to Liepajas, stopping in ports along the way, and back. Recently refitted in the Type 2 drydock in Riga from January to July, with new copperbottoms, strengthened masts, and more, the Latvian Navy is proud to present the L'Esperance in this year's Tall Ship Race.

1. Ship Name: L'Esperance
2. Nationality: Latvian Empire
3. Rig: Ship Rig
4. Crew Size: 224 (19 officers)
5. Classification: Class A Division III
6. (Optional) Known Speeds: 11+ knots

Quoted

In addition, this year Riga's very finest have decided to submit the "Courland." Based off of the now-sunken Wyoming, the building of this ship required extensive donations from banks in Latvia, Russia, and aboard, as well as yacht clubs and shipping magnets across Russia, and is the largest wooden ship ever built in Latvia. After this race, it will begin it's career in the shipping industry, transporting Latvian goods across the Baltic Sea to Helenski, St. Petersburg, Danzig, and more. Replacing the southern pine of the orginal with oak, a native tree in Latvia, this group of Latvia's elite is proud to display the six-masted, 450 ft., 4,000 ton empty Courland in it's first race since laydown.

1. Ship Name: Courland
2. Nationality: Latvian Empire
3. Rig: For and Aft
4. Crew Size: 224 (19 officers)
5. Classification: Class A Division I
6. (Optional) Known Speeds: 16 knots[/QUOTE]

Brock, I'll keep working on finding a joke ship that will actually work this year...

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 3:59pm

L'Esperance will be added.

Might I suggest making the Courland more appropriately-sized? If you intend to operate her later as a merchant ship, a three-master schooner will not only be more economical to operate but also more handy in Baltic conditions. Also less prone to sinking.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 5:59pm

Sigh

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
Aww, I want to have the mega ship that's totally practically useless...

How bout if I change Baltic to North Atlantic?

I don't want a fight, Tex. No joke entries, please.

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 9:00pm

The Yugoslav Pelikan is eager to defend her division championship in 1941; alas, the Crown Prince and his crew of adventurers will not be aboard her, but a sufficient number of students and sea cadets are now available. And the film crew will be back.

For Germany, last year's participants - the Pamir and the Deutschland - will return for the Tall Ships Race.

For the Tall Ships Challenge however Germany will enter the new Kriegsmarine sail training ships Seeadler and Nautilus in Class A. Both ships will have completed their sea trials before the dates of the TSC (which is why they will not be entered in the TSR).

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 9:05pm

Added the German ships.

Friday, July 1st 2011, 1:00am

You can put last year's Iberian entry, Jaun Sebastian Elcano, in for both competitions.
Here she is....

And don't to put Danmark into the Tall Ships Challange.

Also, sailing for Iberia, the bark MARQUES

Friday, July 1st 2011, 1:37am

Okiedokie, can do. (*Makes sure the Marques shan't sink.*) ;)

Friday, July 1st 2011, 8:14am

If the Iberians perhaps remove the large cargo hatch and avoid rogue waves they should do just fine with her.

I think I'll keep my ship list the same as last years for simplicity.

Friday, July 1st 2011, 4:03pm

Atlantean ships added.

Friday, July 1st 2011, 11:34pm

I was going to enter a second Danish vessel, the Kobenhaven, but she was lost in 1928.......

"She could have been a contender!"

Saturday, July 2nd 2011, 10:45pm

British vessels added.

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
I was going to enter a second Danish vessel, the Kobenhaven, but she was lost in 1928.......

"She could have been a contender!"

Too bad - she'd have been a real proper tall ship...

Wednesday, October 12th 2011, 6:41pm

I'm going to work on this sometime this week; if anyone has anything they wish to add, now is the time.