You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 1:16am

Canada, Eh? Q1/34

General summary;

Light Cruisers Labrador and Yukon laid down at Canadian Vickers. They will be armed with an improved model of the 5.5" twin mount that's been under development at Canadian Vickers and ShinRa Munitions for several years now.

Work continues on Canada and Excelsior with half of the required material produced and ready, but the ships are not expected to be completed for another 3 years(!).

Further improvements to dockyard facilities at Esquimalt and Halifax underway with British assistance.

NATO's command structure has been finalized, and detailed in a press release from Deputy Secretary General Lester B. Pearson as follows;

Quoted

Secretary General: Maren Xanthus, Atlantis
Deputy Secretary General: Lester B. Pearson, Canada

SACLANT: Admiral of the Fleet David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty, RN
Deputy SACLANT: Lieutenant General Andrew MacNaughton, RCA
SACPAC: Douglas MacArthur, USA

Areas of responsability;
NORLANTCOM: Hamilton, Bermuda
Rear Admiral Ernest J. King, USN
Area North of lattitude 30°.

CENTLANTCOM: Kingston, Jamaica
Admiral Bryn Magus, RNA
Area South of Lattitude 30°, North of the Equator, Including the entirety of Atlantis, and the Carribean Sea.

SOLANTCOM: Georgetown, Ascension Island
Vice-Admiral Sir Roger Backhouse, RN
Area South of the Equator.

NORPACCOM: Honolulu, Hawaii
Rear Admiral William P. Noyce, RCN (Couldn't resist, sorry)
Area North of the Equator, East of the International Date Line. Includes American, Canadian, and Mexican Pacific Coastlines.

WESTPACCOM: Port Moresby, Papau New Guinea
Admiral Jack Fisher II, RAN
Area West of the International Date Line. Includes all of Australia and New Zealand's holdings, as well as Hong Kong, Malaysia, Burma, the Solomons, and Wake Island.

SOPACCOM: Salina Cruz, Oaxaca
Almirante Carlos Mencia, AdM
Area south of the Equator, East of the International Date Line.

The ratification of the North American Treaty in Canadian Parliment was delayed by several Conservative party MPs, including R.B. Bennett, who lost the opportunity to become PM in 1930. However, ratification was successfully passed with a sizable margin.

The Canadian Ministry of Defense has organized the Canadian Armament Development and Research Establishment (CADRE) under Dr. Gerald Bull, to pursue projects of an undisclosed nature.

Canada welcomes the resumption of trade with Germany, noting that Canada at no point considered a reciprocal embargo or other measures. However, a Senior Administration Official was quoted; "Germany chose to attack our economy for an oversight made over a decade ago that did not bind us to the Cleito Treaty, despite our attempts to negotiate legal entry at the Cowes conferance, only to be met with stonewalling and refusal to negotiate from certain parties. Now, however, several nations openly violate a treaty they did sign, Germany's outrage and condemnation is nowhere to be seen. We find these decisions somewhat confusing, and highly suspect."

Delegates at NATO Headquarters in Bermuda have been reported to be in conferance for several days following the rapid breaches of the Cleito Treaty by India, Italy, and Japan. The substance of these closed-door meetings has not been made public at this time.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Mar 8th 2007, 1:19am)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 10:32am

Quoted

Delegates at NATO Headquarters in Bermuda have been reported to be in conferance for several days following the rapid breaches of the Cleito Treaty by India, Italy, and Japan. The substance of these closed-door meetings has not been made public at this time.

Italy has done nothing illegal.

However blackmail is definitely not legal.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Mar 8th 2007, 10:32am)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 10:38am

It depends on Italy's interpritation of Blackmail.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 4:27pm

NATO Observations:

-The UK's signature to this treaty and to a previous agreement with AANM is bound to cause some lost sleep in Whitehall, considering how well Atlantis/USA get along with Italy/Iberia.

-While AANM might infer the purpose of the alliance to be the destruction of the Iberian Federation (think that came up in an Italian news thread), the ABC powers are probably going to be wondering about SOLANTCOM's purpose, and the Asian powers will probably be scratching heads about WESTPACCOM.

-With NATO now looking like the largest military alliance around, I wonder if this will finally polarize the world into two major blocs.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 4:40pm

Quoted

and the Asian powers will probably be scratching heads about WESTPACCOM.

If WESTPACCOM HQ was in Australia then that would be the case. But since it is located much, much closer to the Asian mainland (Port Moresby), I would think it will be a lot more than scratching heads.
:)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 4:51pm

Quoted

It depends on Italy's interpretation of Blackmail.

I looked. Actually "Extortion" is the correct term.

Quoted

-The UK's signature to this treaty and to a previous agreement with AANM is bound to cause some lost sleep in Whitehall, considering how well Atlantis/USA get along with Italy/Iberia.

It is slightly puzzling.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Mar 8th 2007, 4:52pm)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 5:43pm

Quoted

I looked. Actually "Extortion" is the correct term.

Extortion??? Looks like Australia's PM is pulling someone's strings here. :D

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 5:46pm

Quoted

Zitat:

It is slightly puzzling.

And not just in Whitehall or Rome.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 5:59pm

GB must have been pressured into signing it by them damn colonials :)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 6:29pm

How'd Australia get pulled in here?

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 6:42pm

Probably to do with those photos in the British sub sale thread.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 6:45pm

Those photos indeed!!

Especially the one of Australia's PM...

... obviously pulling the strings of the nation ("The Name Of The Nation I Shall Not Mention For The Lord Shall Strike Me Down When I Do") which uses extortion against Italy.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Mar 8th 2007, 6:47pm)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 7:36pm

This just keeps getting better.... extortion?

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 7:57pm

Atlantis is like an ostrich (and not because its big and fluffy)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor

You'd have to ask Britain as it seems members from NARC and FAR seemed to have similar concerns and idea's which led to the formation of NATO. No one was forced to join, to my knowledge anyway.

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor-While AANM might infer the purpose of the alliance to be the destruction of the Iberian Federation (think that came up in an Italian news thread), the ABC powers are probably going to be wondering about SOLANTCOM's purpose, and the Asian powers will probably be scratching heads about WESTPACCOM.

Figureative at this point, one only has to look at each nations territory's to figure out why the respective theatres have been created. SOLANTCOM will be a very boring post.

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor-With NATO now looking like the largest military alliance around, I wonder if this will finally polarize the world into two major blocs.

I'm sure it will, but then again certain events have pushed the NATO members towards an agreement that would help deal with nations half way around the globe attempting to extend their sphere of influence.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:13pm

I don't see how its extortion. If Italy had security concerns about another nation attempting to extend their sphere of influence they would threaten to leave the treaty as well, but then again Italy can justify everything it does.

Frankly Atlantis could care less if Italy stays in the treaty or not......

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:17pm

There is a different between "sphere of influence" and a few vessels going to an ally's naval base for a short spell of training.

Of course it doesn't matter what Italy says as Atlantis has a god complex.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:23pm

I've not said that anybody was forced to join. What I've noted is that the UK will be in an awkward position if some part of NATO goes to war with some part of AANM. Much as South Africa would be in an awkward spot if India and the Netherlands dropped the gloves.

The "Sphere of Influence" question cuts both ways - locals in South America or Asia may be questioning how much the USA, Atlantis and Canada are going to impose themselves on what the locals consider their spheres of influence.

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:23pm

Quoted

There is a different between "sphere of influence" and a few vessels going to an ally's naval base for a short spell of training.

I totally agree with you there.
"sphere of influence" => reads as "I can go where ever I want in this area, be it 5 or 50 ships or 500 ships, and there isn't a G(CENSORED)N thing you can do about that, sucker!!"
"a few vessels going to an ally's naval base for a short spell of training." => reads as "We need to work hard in order to improve the cooperation between our two navies at sea."
:)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Mar 8th 2007, 8:24pm)

Thursday, March 8th 2007, 8:50pm

Those few vessels are more powerful than the entire Mexican Navy, and that sphere of influence has reached Mexican shores.

However if Italy feels such a need, perhaps it wont complain when NATO decides it will be conducting its anual excercise of Malta.