You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Thursday, October 28th 2004, 5:29pm

What is typical?

Folks,

when drawing ships I try to keep some kind of familiar look and features. Using some parts and details again and again helps but in general I´m not that impartial when judging my own designs and drawings (*g*).

So I´d like to know what you guys think is typical for south african naval design?

An answer would help me to focus on such things to develope a typical character.

And while we´re at it - what do you think is typical for other countries designs and drawings?

Thanks for your input,

HoOmAn

Friday, October 29th 2004, 1:01am

Symmetrical modest armament, slender sleek hull with internal armor scheme on newer ships to keep the hull lines clean. Blocky superstructure with curved decks around turrets.

I'd say out of all the historical designs the SAE ships resemble a combination of French, German and British esthetics.

Friday, October 29th 2004, 2:38am

For the Philippines, the majority of designs will have raised deckhouses around superfiring barbettes, as opposed to 'free-standing' barbettes which the Chief Designer finds silly-looking.

Also, most classes will have similar superstructures, to confuse the enemy - for example, the Panabo class CDS and Marinduque-class CE (will) have virtually identical apperances. Enemy commanders will be left wondering: will that ship be firing two 8-inch and four 6-inch guns at me, or four 12-inch?

Friday, October 29th 2004, 3:40am

In contrast Atlantian ships are very uncluttered. Two funnels are the norm, as are symmetrical turret layouts.

The easiest discription of the esthetics of Atlantian ships would be a combination of French, American and for battlecruisers and destroyers throw in a touch of British.

Friday, October 29th 2004, 2:02pm

I'd agree with Wes' assessment, adding that two funnels seem to be common, and common twin turret shape is consistent...though I'm not sure how to descripe it. If you build 3x3 ships, it's going to ruin everything!

India's older ships (in theory) show a German influence. The recent exception is the Akbar class, which is a trainwreck of historical Japanese and French never-weres (Kii and Gascogne). Rumors persist that a heavy cruiser design, resembling a scaled-down Akbar, is being contemplated by the Design Bureau.

Germany's ships, not surprisingly, should show a strong German influence...

HoOmAn

Friday, October 29th 2004, 2:16pm

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
Symmetrical modest armament, slender sleek hull with internal armor scheme on newer ships to keep the hull lines clean. Blocky superstructure with curved decks around turrets.

I'd say out of all the historical designs the SAE ships resemble a combination of French, German and British esthetics.

So you think SAE designs look somewhat european, more than american or japanese at least...

What exactly do you mean with "curved lines around turrets"?

HoOmAn

Friday, October 29th 2004, 2:26pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
I'd agree with Wes' assessment, adding that two funnels seem to be common, and common twin turret shape is consistent...though I'm not sure how to descripe it. If you build 3x3 ships, it's going to ruin everything!

*g* I fear triples can´t be avoided in the long run...

The shape of my 28cm and 30,5cm turrets is "copied" from german WW1-types. Those 38cmers on the Mocambiques resemble german WW2 turret design to some degree. The 35cm guns used on the Konings are housed in something along the lines of german turret design but without historical precedence. That´s probably what you meant with your comment above...?

Regarding smaller calibers there´s a lot of french and british influence.

Regards,

HoOmAn

Friday, October 29th 2004, 2:44pm

That's what I meant. S'pose I could have just said they looked German...

Saturday, October 30th 2004, 6:21pm

My ships are typically Italian; fast and heavily armed.

Saturday, October 30th 2004, 11:40pm

What I meant by curved lines arround turrets is that you maximize deck space on the next deck up from the main deck by curving the superstructure sides to conform with the turrets traversing area, similar to bismarck with her 5.9" turrets. I hope my explaination makes sence...

HoOmAn

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 12:44am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
What I meant by curved lines arround turrets is that you maximize deck space on the next deck up from the main deck by curving the superstructure sides to conform with the turrets traversing area, similar to bismarck with her 5.9" turrets. I hope my explaination makes sence...

Ah, got your points...

I was curious. First I thought others used such "curved lines" too but with the probable exception of KDM Hel I found no other WesWorld design with similar lines...

Never expected that to be typically south african. :o)

Thanks for your input...

HoOmAn

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 2:06am

Your latest BB and Cruiser designs have a similar fluidity to the deck contours around the turrets, then again I may be basing your style on ALL your designs and not the ones currently in service with the SAE.

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 10:55am

Hoo,

As I've said before, I see a strong German/Dutch flavour in your designs. This is due mainly to the turrets. I guess something to note, once armour plate gets thick then it is hard to bend so curved WW1 turrets will give way to blocky post war designs.

I'm toying with the FEH designs at the moment and I think contempory architecture may hold an idea which leaves me with 'Spanish mission style' elements to play with. ; )

Cheers,

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 2:20pm

Post that link somewhere Roger, I'd like to see how things are going!

HoOmAn

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 3:24pm

My input...

Typical for italian ships are their long and sometimes very slender hulls with shallow sterns and Italy is AFAIK the only nation to build ships were superfiring barbets are "stand-alones". Ah, and don´t forget those "funnel-farms" called DDs...

Atlantean ships, especially capital ships, have a remarkable forward superstructure. Most others seem to prefer block-like bridges (easier to draw I guess) while Wes´ designs feature towers that are qutie clustered - without looking like Pagodas of course. I´d also like to mention those ships´ sterns. No other navy build ships so far where the weatherdeck is rising towards the stern of a vessel. IIRC that is. In general those ships look very british.

Danish ships feature extensive superstructure which sometimes looks as if they are ahead of their times by several years. They look very massive due to their sueprstructure and funnels.

Regarding japanese ships one surely has to mention those Pagodas Walter is (re-)producing. The bows also look unique, though.

Greece produces ships with raked funnels and spheric "whatevers" on top of them all the time. No other country uses something similar. In general greek ships look like somebody coupled american (see DDs, CLs etc) design elements with japanese (CV). Sometimes they even look fragile but that could be because of the way those drawings were made...

No reason to comment on the British. Often copied, never reached.

Then there is India. The Doc produces clear lines when drawing his ships. Could be because of lacking details but I also think his ships are meant to be straightforward or even unadored/business-like.

That´s it. Fire away...

HoOmAn

Sunday, October 31st 2004, 5:02pm

Interesting conclusion

"Atlantean ships, especially capital ships, have a remarkable forward superstructure. Most others seem to prefer block-like bridges (easier to draw I guess) while Wes´ designs feature towers that are qutie clustered - without looking like Pagodas of course. I´d also like to mention those ships´ sterns. No other navy build ships so far where the weatherdeck is rising towards the stern of a vessel. IIRC that is. In general those ships look very british."

Looking at the British Hood and Renown class battlecruisers they too have a weather deck that rises toward the stern, but not as pronounced.

Monday, November 1st 2004, 12:19pm

I noticed with the Azaes class ships that the quarterdeck is cutout as much as the forecastle rises so this could be derived from a flush deck design.

Atlantian design has a strong GB influence in layout and looks.

The FEH is at the post Jutland design stage (Hood contempories) but the latest drawing is the Neptuno (8 15" guns on 30,000tons.

Also a strong RN influence but beginning to diverge.

Cheers,

Monday, November 1st 2004, 3:11pm

Quoted

Then there is India. The Doc produces clear lines when drawing his ships. Could be because of lacking details but I also think his ships are meant to be straightforward or even unadored/business-like.

Sure, I can agree with that; plus I'm lazy and don't feel like getting too carried away when I draw.

We'll see if the pics for CV Urumi and DD G-143 follow this standard when I post them tomorrow.

Monday, November 1st 2004, 5:52pm

Quoted

Typical for italian ships are their long and sometimes very slender hulls with shallow sterns and Italy is AFAIK the only nation to build ships were superfiring barbets are "stand-alones". Ah, and don´t forget those "funnel-farms" called DDs...

I can't think of any of my DDs that have more than 3 funnels. Some of the Esploratore have 4 funnels but they're nowhere near as bad as Lexington.

Monday, November 1st 2004, 6:36pm

Quoted

Regarding japanese ships one surely has to mention those Pagodas Walter is (re-)producing. The bows also look unique, though.

I have 4 pages of Japanese bows in one of my books (as well as many, many more details. Air intakes, funnels, gun turrets, superstructures, etc.).