You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:02pm

Stability versus steadiness

I'm working on designing a new ship for Chile, and I'm annoyed by a small issue which I'm often faced with, but rarely have a solution. For the vessel I'm creating, I can get a steadiness of 70, which Springsharp tells me is desirable; but that means stability is 1.05. For various reasons I like stability to stick right around 1.10, but that lowers steadiness to 62.

So, I ask you: which is more desirable in a vessel, particularly one built for the seas near Cape Horn? Stability, or steadiness? I'm under the impression that stability affects how your ship handles things like counterflooding following torpedo hits; therefore I tend to make my stability high in order to make them survive more hits.

For that matter, can someone define the difference between stability and steadiness?

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:08pm

As I understand it

Stability is a measure of the ship's ability to right itself after a roll.

Steadiness is the measure of the period of the roll.

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:11pm

So, for designing a cruiser, which should I favor? What should I favor for a DD or CV? I'd guess that a CV would need to be steady for launching aircraft, but you'd maybe want more stability from a destroyer which is wallowing about in the same sea...?

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:20pm

Well being a gun platform you'll want a slower roll rate for a cruiser or battleship.

howard

Unregistered

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:29pm

You want long period roll for launching/landing aircraft. Same for gunships if your fire control is no good, like Brazil's

Generally if you get a "ship is a good steady gun platform" a stability of at least 1.15 and your roll is around 14 seconds you have a good aircraft carrier.

H.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "howard" (Aug 17th 2008, 9:29pm)

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 9:55pm

Hmm, so... in my particular case, a stability of 1.15 and a roll period of 16.2 seconds will suffice?

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:13pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Hmm, so... in my particular case, a stability of 1.15 and a roll period of 16.2 seconds will suffice?

It's more than just that, seaboat quality comes into it as well.

Note the "Magni" specs below....

Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.12
Roll period: 17.9 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 70 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.04
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1.56

Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Excellent seaboat, comfortable, can fire her guns in the heaviest weather

So just the Steadiness V Stability thing doesn't work, seakeeping needs to be included

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:23pm

It's 1.60 seaboat rating.

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:25pm

Well then she should be just fine!!

EDIT - What is her steadiness?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Commodore Green" (Aug 17th 2008, 10:26pm)

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:31pm

With a brief reworking, I have:

Stability: 1.13
Steadiness: 71
Seakeeping: 1.60
Roll period: 16.3 seconds

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:44pm

Seems very good to me.

I think I know what type of vessel this is ;)

Sunday, August 17th 2008, 10:58pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
With a brief reworking, I have:

Stability: 1.13
Steadiness: 71
Seakeeping: 1.60
Roll period: 16.3 seconds

Sweet!!