You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 2:11am

Mexican Canal Google Earth Overlay

http://wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com//Mis…can%20Canal.kmz

or

http://wolfsshipyard.mystarship.com//Mis…can%20Canal.rar

Not exact. The route generally follows the river systems in the isthmus.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 2:31am

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 4:34pm

Mental note to self.....speed up developement of "Bouncing Bomb" type ordanence!!

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 4:41pm

Talk like that puts the Panama canal in other nations sights.....

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 4:42pm

You'd need about 150 to breach all the locks/ dams. 35-40 to breach all the dams. Lucky Barnes Wallis isn't on his summer hols in the Costa del Sol isn't it. ;)

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 6:59pm

*makes mental note to check distance from east coast of US to Madrid and compare it to future B-36's range with bomb load...* :evil:

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by CanisD
*makes mental note to check distance from east coast of US to Madrid and compare it to future B-36's range with bomb load...* :evil:

You don't need to go from that far. Cleito to Madrid should be enough.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:01pm

Quoted

This might do

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:06pm

Google Earth is great for that kind of thing. That's why I've been doing overlays of Atlantis and the Mexican Canal.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:10pm

Quoted

Google Earth is great for that kind of thing. That's why I've been doing overlays of Atlantis and the Mexican Canal.

True - alas, my computer doesn't have the horsepower to support Google Earth and everything else.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:17pm

Quoted

Portland, ME to Madrid, IB = 3351.80 miles ;)
Combat radius of B-36 = 3985 miles.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:26pm

Quoted

Mexico started with nationalizing oil and it seems obvious that the Mexican Canal is not far behind, so it seems to be smarter to keep all the US bombers ready in order to bomb another canal through Mexico. :D

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:31pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Rooijen10

Quoted

Mexico started with nationalizing oil and it seems obvious that the Mexican Canal is not far behind, so it seems to be smarter to keep all the US bombers ready in order to bomb another canal through Mexico. :D

Probably cheaper to reduce Japan to the stone age through bombing, thus greatly reducing the need for a canal to begin with.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:34pm

If people actually read about the reasons for the Nationalization, they would realize that there is absolutely no chance the same will happen to the canal.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 7:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
If people actually read about the reasons for the Nationalization, they would realize that there is absolutely no chance the same will happen to the canal.

The Oil expropriation was conducted under the auspices of Artile 27 of the 1927 Constitution;

Quoted

Article 27
The property of all land and water within national territory is originally owned by the Nation, who has the right to transfer this ownership to particulars. Hence, private property is a privilege created by the Nation.

Expropriations may only be made when there is a public utility cause.

The State will always have the right to impose on private property constraints dictated by "public interest". The State will also regulate the exploitation of natural resources based on social benefits and the equal distribution of wealth. The state is also responsible for conservation and ecological considerations.

All natural resources in national territory are property of the nation, and private exploitation may only be carried out through concessions.

Nuclear fuel may only be exploited and used by the State. The use of Nuclear elements in the Nation may only have peaceful purposes.

This article also deals with other subtleties on what constitutes Mexico's territory.

Foreign citizens cannot own land within 100 km of the borders or 50 km of the sea, that an area of land next to the coast is federal property which cannot be sold to particulars.

It does not take a great deal of imagination to try and skew this to apply to the land on which the Canal is being excavated.

However, the sizable US Army presense being run by Dugout Doug inside the Canal Zone helps moderate such concerns, of course.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 8:27pm

Except the Canal Zone is not Mexican national territory...

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 8:42pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Except the Canal Zone is not Mexican national territory...

That's what the treaty says. But there were presumably international agreements and contracts between Mexico and the Oil companies, too. In an OOC sense, we know Mexico won't (and can't) make a serious move to nationalize the Canal. IC, the Mexican Government is showing itself to be volitile, unpredictable, and unreliable. Said Government can try to assuage the concerns of it's allies (and other powers), but it hasn't at this juncture. Rather, it's only continued to be rather belligerant in it's language and dealings with other powers, further handicapping it's international standing.

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 8:43pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green
Mental note to self.....speed up developement of "Bouncing Bomb" type ordanence!!

There's no need to worry about that. You should have some cruise missiles with tactical nuclear warheads in service by the time it's finished. There's a lot of rock to dig out if the canal goes through the mountains.

I had a little look at route planning the canal a while back and decided to go further East as then you were "only" getting up to about 1000ft altitude through the mountains.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Red Admiral" (Oct 20th 2010, 8:45pm)

Wednesday, October 20th 2010, 9:14pm

here we go again.....

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin

Mexico makes in character remarks attacking Iberia and gets away with it.
I (not Iberia) make an out of character humourous remark, and I get set upon.......I don't know why I bother!

Thursday, October 21st 2010, 12:52am

RE: here we go again.....

Quoted

Originally posted by Commodore Green

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin

Mexico makes in character remarks attacking Iberia and gets away with it.
I (not Iberia) make an out of character humourous remark, and I get set upon.......I don't know why I bother!

Acctually no they don't, and I don't think you've been following the soap opera surrounding Mexico's nationalisation of oil. Otherwise you'd see their allies are just a wee bit concerned about Mexico's behavior.
....and besides all the comments made in this thread seem to be OOC so...