You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:42pm

Carrier conversion

What's the level of reconstruction necessary to turn an existing ship into a carrier? I don't see "add flight deck/hangers" in the list of reconstruction things.

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 9:48pm

RE: Carrier conversion

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
What's the level of reconstruction necessary to turn an existing ship into a carrier? I don't see "add flight deck/hangers" in the list of reconstruction things.

Depends on what you want to change....

KDM Jutland cost 50%, but the Magni and Modi are costing 75% each.

Read the rules REAL carefully, and decide what you absolutely must change, and remember, old barbettes can become fuel storage or ordanance storage or even crew ready rooms (in otl), if I remember correctly.

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 10:43pm

Flight deck / hangars count as 'changes to superstructure', basically, since that's how they're simmed. However, if changes are being made beyond that (ie; removing barbettes or other 75% cost modifications), the cost goes up.

howard

Unregistered

Friday, August 22nd 2008, 11:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Flight deck / hangars count as 'changes to superstructure', basically, since that's how they're simmed. However, if changes are being made beyond that (ie; removing barbettes or other 75% cost modifications), the cost goes up.

Can you roughly assume that everything above the gunwales is 50% and that everything below the gunwales is 75% into a carrier conversion from something like a battlecruiser?

H.

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 1:22am

Not quite. One example that comes to mind is superfiring guns on barbettes. If you're removing the barbette, or even just trimming it to the strength deck, that counts as barbette alteration. Leaving the barbette may be cheaper, and you can still build a flight deck over it, but it will definately cut into hangar capacity for most designs and cause other deficiencies.

As CG said, check the RR&R rules and figure out what modifications you're performing, and see where they fall.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Aug 23rd 2008, 1:23am)

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 12:18pm

I think 75% for an extensive conversion but 50% for something simpler like a MAC ship.

Saturday, August 23rd 2008, 1:13pm

I'm using 50%. Its going to be a lightish stucture based on top of the strength deck. Carriers are about volume. Barbettes can be converted to ammo or fuel storage without the necessity of removing them. The problem is how far the barbette impinges on hangar space. It would need to be a large ship to get enough height for two hangar decks (and numbers of aircraft) for conversion to be worth the tons.

Cheers,