You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 7th 2009, 10:08pm

Brazil 1936

Excerpt from A History of Modern Brazil 1936-1980 by Oswald de Andrade

Brazil in January 1936 was a tumultuous place, a country which more than one reporter remarked seemed ripe for a revolution. The Brazilian defeat in the South American War had come as a shock to the people of Brazil, most of whom had been kept in the dark about how the war was progressing. The shock had now turned to anger against the government, for keeping them in the dark, as well calls began for a more active role in government by the populance.

Also adding to the disturbances, as I noted in Chapter 1, the month of December was used very profitably by the Marxist agitators in the Brazilian Second Army, and by the end of December the entire Second Army was in the control of the Marxists. As well, the Marxists had began to make inroads into the nearby Third Army as well. Then on January 2nd, the inevitable happened, the Second Army mutined against the government, and called for the formation of a Marxist state, to aid in spreading the revolution to the rest of the world. The Brazilain Civil War had begun!

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:01am

Sounds interesting, looks like WW is going to be a bit more turbulent in the coming year

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:16am

Indeed!

(*popcorn*)

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:21am

Mwuhahahaha!!! :evil:

Interestingly, there will be a 'Communist' related 'action' in Mexico in 1938. There will be worldwide repercussions. Note, this is something that happened in OTL...

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:38am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Sounds interesting, looks like WW is going to be a bit more turbulent in the coming year

Heh, if it's 1936, don't you mean last year?

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:42am

Heh, yes perhaps... that is the problem with our somewhat disjointed news

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 12:52am

I'm just hoping this doesn't interfere with Brazil's plan to order a pair of BCs from Germany, otherwise I'll have to hunt up more business for those two drydocks. :)

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 8:48am

Excerpt from A Detailed History of the Brazilian Civil War by Oswald de Andrade

"The first engagement of the Civil War was a clear victory for the Marxist rebels. The Second Army which had been garrisoned near the city of Curitaba left and began marching along what would become the BR 116 towards Sao Paulo. The vaunted Third Army was stationed in nearby Ponta Grossa, and was given the task of intercepting and eliminating the Marxists rebels. To fulfil this task, the commander of the Third Army, General Cervantes, ordered his 8 divisions on an overland route for an interception of the Second Army, commanded by General San Quito dos Parchol near the town of Registro. Although the General was sucessful in his mission of interception, mainly due to the fact that he left on January 3rd, while dos Parchol, left on the 7th, once the enemy was spotted 4 of his 8 divisions (1) deserted on the spot, and later joined the Second Army. Now facing a 2 to 1 numerical advantage, with no guarntee that his remaining troops would be any more reliable than the others, Cervantes retreated, leaving the way to Sao Paulo open."

(1) Brazil has 40 divisions seperated into 5 Armies, of 8 divisions each. However, Brazil's divisions are actually the equvialent of other nations brigades, being only 5,000 men strong.

Btw, just so everyone knows, I'm going on holiday tomorrow, and won't be back until monday.

Oh, and this should be all settled by the time the peace treaty is signed in May, so there won't be any repercusssions for 1937 news, and yes Brazil will still be able to pay for the German BC's she was planning on ordering.

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "TheCanadian" (Jul 8th 2009, 8:57am)

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, July 9th 2009, 6:21am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
I'm just hoping this doesn't interfere with Brazil's plan to order a pair of BCs from Germany, otherwise I'll have to hunt up more business for those two drydocks. :)

Shop em to Belgium...we'll give you chocolates for them !

Oh rats, I see Brazil is offering Brazil nuts.
Glad I didn't call home the regiments in Dutch Guiana. While they are whiling away their time there they are being used for tactical development at the training grounds.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jul 9th 2009, 6:22am)

Friday, July 10th 2009, 1:34pm

A People's Republic of Brazil? Bharat for one will not like this one bit. First they got rid of a Emperor plus their ideas could cause problems in the long run.

IMO the one that could be ripe for a marxist revolution could be Peru. Near Brazil and ripe in corruption/political murder/unstable governments the ground is being plowed for the seeds of Marxist ideology. Long live the proletariat! Libertad o Muerte! :D

Friday, July 10th 2009, 1:51pm

True enough. And all the work we did to get Peru up and out of it's old indolence.... gone! :)

And then the rot starts to spread: first to Ecuador, then the world! :)

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:13pm

Obviously no one has noted my previous dark anti-Marxists hints in the pre-war Argentine news.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:15pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Obviously no one has noted my previous dark anti-Marxists hints in the pre-war Argentine news.

I guess not. So a Marxist victory could mean the end of the ABC's?

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:22pm

A Marxist Brazil indeed could be problematic for the South American nations. That kind of ideology could find followers in the underclasses of their neighbors, for example the populations of indian ancestry. Even today in South America (I have heard the insult in Colombia) is to insult a person by calling them "Indio igualado" or assimilated indian. Imagine the situation for those indians in the 1930's in those countries? They were basically an underclass, racists is latent in those sociaties.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:25pm

Chile also has a strong anti-communist bent. I won't recognize a communist regime anywhere in the world, and I certainly would consider some serious action against a South American communist state.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:30pm

The problem I see is IMO Peru is ripe for a similar revolution if Brazil turns Red. While victorious in the Andean War as a late interloper after that their policies have failed. Their attempts to annex the rump Bolivia seems to have failed, political assassination seems the order of the day and I can only guess were this Leticia conflict will take them.

And I guess I should move this comment to the Peruvian thread. :rolleyes:

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:35pm

If Brazil goes and stays Red, it will have a lot of impact. That's a big IF, though, my impression of what's coming is that there's a Communist revolt that doesn't end up succeeding. But I might be wrong.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 3:45pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
If Brazil goes and stays Red, it will have a lot of impact. That's a big IF, though, my impression of what's coming is that there's a Communist revolt that doesn't end up succeeding. But I might be wrong.

I think so too. IMO the main change will be the end of the Empire and maybe a Coalition Republic. The Civil War seems to be too short to create any lasting hard feelings between factions; that is good for Brazil.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 4:57pm

OTL Brazilian, and Chilean, history since 1900 has been littered with mutinies, coups and other outbursts of violence.

I agree though that racial and class tendancies would be ripe for revolution.

Friday, July 10th 2009, 5:17pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
OTL Brazilian, and Chilean, history since 1900 has been littered with mutinies, coups and other outbursts of violence.

I agree though that racial and class tendancies would be ripe for revolution.

Ha! Central and South America has seen its share of revolution coups and assassinations for sure.
I only see Marxism hiting the less economically prosperous nations however.