You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 12:33pm

Paris Herald - 4 August 1926

The Honorable Aristide Briand, Foreign Minister of France announced today the establishment of the "French Union". It has begun as a Department of the Ministry for Colonies, and it will have two functions:

1) Prepare French colonies politically, culturally, economically, and militarily for decisions concerning self-determination.

2) Provide a structure for continued political, cultural, economic, and military relations between members of the French Union subsequent to their decisions concerning self-determination.

Options for self-determination include, but are not limited to:

Continuation as a Colonial possession of France.

Incorporation into the Republic of France, with colonial subjects in the colony concerned gaining all the rights and duties of French citizenship.

Full independence.

Despite its beginning as a Department of the Ministry for Colonies, it is envisioned that the day will come when there is a Department of Colonies within the Ministry of Union Affairs.

Foreign Minister Briand commented:

"It is clear that the day is coming when arrangements that have been mutually suitable in the colonies of France may no longer be so. We think it wise to prepare for that day, lest it come upon us of its own volition."

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 1:45pm

A French Commonwealth?

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 2:34pm

In Agra, the Raj reacted to the French initiative by saying, "This is an example of progressive thinking and enlightenment that I can only hope that nations such as the Netherlands and Britain emulate.

"Essentially, the French government seems to be committing to what I have advocated in the past - a measured process that will leave French colonies in Asia and elsewhere as functioning, prosperous nations or, if they are so inclined, remain with a larger organization of states as an equal and not a colony. Whatever their decision, France's colonial subjects will be empowered simply by making that decision.

"I applaud M. Briand and the Government of France, and offer the services of myself and India to aid in this process if desired."

When asked about recent tensions between the SATSUMA and FAR alliances, the Raj replied, "I see no reason for tension to exist now. France is taking the steps necessary to empower its Asian subjects, which is what SATSUMA stands for. I believe it's time for France and the nations of SATSUMA to start discussing a treaty of non-aggression, and will be dispatching my officials shortly."

This reporter then asked specifically about recent Russian/Filipino tensions. "Tensions? Russia and the Philippines have adequate relations; the lies and rantings of a minor media personality should not make it otherwise."

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 3:21pm

Filipino response

"We are quite pleased to see the French government taking these steps torwards decolonisation. We also agree with the Raj that the time is ripe for the disucussion of a non-agression pact, and we will send appropiate diplomats* to Paris whenever a time is decided."

(* - meaning, anyone but the Foreign Minister. ;) )

---

Drat, there go my plans for the conquest of Indochina...

Wednesday, February 23rd 2005, 6:04pm

Historical DOM-TOMs? i.e. Departements outre mer - Territoires outre mer. It sounds essentially as her colonies are being incorporated as other departments of France.

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 3:47am

That's certainly a possibility

Quoted

It sounds essentially as her colonies are being incorporated as other departments of France.

I expect that will happen in a number of cases.

Thursday, February 24th 2005, 3:51am

Don't give up hope Swampy

Quoted

Drat, there go my plans for the conquest of Indochina...

The French Right will be back in power in a bit, and they'll try to torpedo the whole plan...