You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, September 11th 2004, 3:45am

Times of Riga - 6 August 1924

The Latvian Foreign Ministry announce the conclusion of a Treaty of Mutual Assistance between Latvia and the Russian Federation. This Treaty provides for mutual defense, consultation in times of crisis, cooperation in the areas of intelligence, air and coast defense, and coordination between the respective General Staffs. Also signed today were several agreements on trade and investment, which should solve the questions that have impeded the free flow of goods between the respective countries.

As part of this agreement, the Russian Federation will establish a coast defense facility 20 km northeast of Ventspils, one Naval Air Station in the same vicinity, and an airbase 20 km southwest of Riga.

Monday, September 20th 2004, 2:41am

I missed this little gem. Interesting to see this progression in Latvian/Russian relations.

I imagine Lithuania is starting to feel a little hemmed in...

Wednesday, September 22nd 2004, 12:31pm

What's next in the Baltic?

Quoted

I imagine Lithuania is starting to feel a little hemmed in...

Lithuanian government appears to have sufficient sense not to cooperate with British intelligence operations against a large neighbor on which their economy largely depends.