You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 10:29am

Need ships for amphibious warfare

Hi there...

Anybody out there who could help develope the RSAN some amphibious capabilities asaP? By selling already existing or nearly complete ships?

Thanks,

HoOmAn

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 10:36am

What's the rush Hoo?

The RN has nothing but can sell you licences for some light landing craft.

Landing Craft Vehicle LCV (1): 36 tons, 48.5ft long, one 7.77mm Vickers, able to carry one 16 ton tank or 100 troops

Landing Craft Vehicle LCV (2): 50 tons, 50ft long, able to carry one 30 ton tank or 100 troops

Landing Craft Infantry LCI (1): 100 tons, 105x21.5x3.6ft (32z6.53z1.08m), two 420hp Hall-Scot petrol engines, 14.5kts, two single .661in Vickers HMG, 15 crew, 100 troops

LCT (1): 199 tons light, 152x29x4.4ft, two 420hp Hall-Scot petrol engines, 13kts, three 50 ton tanks, two single .661in Vickers HMG, 45 crew

All these will enter production very soon but just missed the need I have right now for them.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 11:01am

The US and Germany don't have any vessels of this type at the end of 1937, sorry.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 1:02pm

Japan is currently constructing the Daihatsu, Toku-Daihatsu and Shohatsu small landing crafts as well as the larger T-100 and T-200 class landing ships. For a price, a few extras can be built for the RSAN. Considering its size (>1200 tons), I would have to inquire with my allies regarding the Kumano class.

Info on the ships here: http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/thread.php?postid=87637#post87637

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 5:03pm

I have a lot of amphibious ships designed, but none built. Hoo, your request is pretty open-ended, so perhaps you could explain better what sort of ships you're looking for, as there are more types of amphibs than most types of combat warships...

It also depends on what the SAE plans to use them for. Are we talking about landing infantry from troopships? Landing tanks? What size and capabilities?

If the RSAN is interested, the private shipbuilder Asenav, in Valdivia, Chile, has been independently developing a small amphibious vessel (based on a Chilean coastal ferry operating on the Gulf of Ancud) into a landing ship suitable for the Chilean Navy. Asenav will be required to build the ship in ASMAR's slip, but should the RSAN indicate interest in the design, Asenav and ASMAR will build the ship for base cost in order to demonstrate their design and construction skills for the Armada de Chile's benefit.

LST-01, Chilean Landing Ship Tank laid down 1940

Displacement:
1,795 t light; 1,851 t standard; 2,121 t normal; 2,338 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
337.82 ft / 330.00 ft x 50.00 ft x 9.00 ft (normal load)
102.97 m / 100.58 m x 15.24 m x 2.74 m

Armament:
2 - 3.00" / 76.2 mm guns in single mounts, 13.50lbs / 6.12kg shells, 1940 Model
Dual purpose guns in deck mounts
on centreline ends, evenly spread
6 - 0.79" / 20.0 mm guns in single mounts, 0.24lbs / 0.11kg shells, 1940 Model
Machine guns in deck mounts
on side, all amidships
Weight of broadside 28 lbs / 13 kg
Shells per gun, main battery: 800

Machinery:
Diesel Internal combustion motors,
Geared drive, 2 shafts, 2,098 shp / 1,565 Kw = 15.00 kts
Range 6,000nm at 15.00 kts
Bunker at max displacement = 486 tons

Complement:
156 - 203

Cost:
£0.442 million / $1.768 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 4 tons, 0.2 %
Machinery: 56 tons, 2.6 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 1,186 tons, 55.9 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 326 tons, 15.4 %
Miscellaneous weights: 550 tons, 25.9 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
8,407 lbs / 3,813 Kg = 622.7 x 3.0 " / 76 mm shells or 3.0 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.31
Metacentric height 2.9 ft / 0.9 m
Roll period: 12.4 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 51 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.00
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 1.39

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has a flush deck
and transom stern
Block coefficient: 0.500
Length to Beam Ratio: 6.60 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 21.48 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 34 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 37
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 20.00 degrees
Stern overhang: 2.00 ft / 0.61 m
Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
- Stem: 16.00 ft / 4.88 m
- Forecastle (20 %): 13.00 ft / 3.96 m
- Mid (50 %): 11.00 ft / 3.35 m
- Quarterdeck (15 %): 11.00 ft / 3.35 m
- Stern: 13.00 ft / 3.96 m
- Average freeboard: 12.09 ft / 3.69 m
Ship tends to be wet forward

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 40.0 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 160.0 %
Waterplane Area: 11,432 Square feet or 1,062 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 307 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 81 lbs/sq ft or 396 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 1.50
- Longitudinal: 1.94
- Overall: 1.54
Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
Good seaboat, rides out heavy weather easily

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 5:22pm

Probably helps to know just how many troops the SAE needs to or plans to land at one time.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 5:28pm

My thought is, talk to Russia or India - Russia or India really has the most experience of any WW country with designing and building landing ships.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 5:46pm

Atlantis isn't far behind technically, they simply don't feild the numbers needed to perform a serious landing.

Italy and surprisingly Greece also have some experience in this filed, the Greeks having some British style X-lighters.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 6:01pm

China is also expanding it's amphi-fleet. So why not a common design ;).

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 6:16pm

Russia has designs

Quoted

My thought is, talk to Russia or India - Russia or India really has the most experience of any WW country with designing and building landing ships.

But is short on ships for sale. Hoo appears to be looking to buy an existing amphib capability.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 6:34pm

Unfortunately, Canada's solution to the dilemma of amphibious assault is not availible for export.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 6:40pm

RE: Russia has designs

Quoted

Originally posted by AdmKuznetsov

Quoted

But is short on ships for sale. Hoo appears to be looking to buy an existing amphib capability.

If that's the case then I think the RSAN is going to be stymied; most of the amphibs I know about are very very new and won't be sold cheaply, if at all.

Saturday, October 31st 2009, 7:02pm

Bharat at this time don't have any units for sale. Could give for free blueprints for their existing ships.

HoOmAn

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 12:09am

All OOC please.

I intend to quickly build up a force that can deliver several regiments against or just outside a larger port - which after being conquered can be used by standard troops ships and transports.

The vessels involved should be able to deliver in a first wave infantray but also tanks, trucks and artillery. The maximum weight for the largest vehicles probably is 25 tons, the majority being much lighter <15 tons.

I guess a mixture of fast infantry crafts and larger vessels like that Japanese tank landing ship are necessary. To bring the smaller vessels close to the shore large transports like the Indian General Munaf Bindra Class Landing Ship are probably necessary.

What do you think? What is available to the market?

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 1:35am

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
All OOC please.

I intend to quickly build up a force that can deliver several regiments against or just outside a larger port - which after being conquered can be used by standard troops ships and transports.

The vessels involved should be able to deliver in a first wave infantray but also tanks, trucks and artillery. The maximum weight for the largest vehicles probably is 25 tons, the majority being much lighter <15 tons.

I guess a mixture of fast infantry crafts and larger vessels like that Japanese tank landing ship are necessary. To bring the smaller vessels close to the shore large transports like the Indian General Munaf Bindra Class Landing Ship are probably necessary.

What do you think? What is available to the market?

That sounds like a reasonable set of requirements.

As to what is available, so far it looks like not much except production rights or ships to be built to order. [And if I were Argentina, I'd be VERY unhappy with Chile if Chile sold something like this to the SAE. But that's me.]

HoOmAn

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 10:15am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
As to what is available, so far it looks like not much except production rights or ships to be built to order. [And if I were Argentina, I'd be VERY unhappy with Chile if Chile sold something like this to the SAE. But that's me.]

Well, if Chile does NOT sell it the SAE continues selling naval hardware to Peru... ;o)

Seriously, Argentina is an unlikely receiver of an invasion fleet. There is a land border which could much used more easily.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 10:45am

True, there is a land border, but an amphibious force could easily be used to outflank the front lines. And Peru has a small economy, and Chile now has powerful friends to help should Peru go rogue in Chile's direction.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 11:13am

I think India is the place to go shopping for designs. A couple of large LSTs providing most of the vehicle lift. Some smaller LCVs to tank one or two vehicles directly onto a beach. Some LCIs to land infantry. Then a whole lot of other support ships to carry the infantry and supplies and control the entire operation.

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 11:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral
I think India is the place to go shopping for designs. A couple of large LSTs providing most of the vehicle lift. Some smaller LCVs to tank one or two vehicles directly onto a beach. Some LCIs to land infantry. Then a whole lot of other support ships to carry the infantry and supplies and control the entire operation.

I agree: India already has good to excellent relations with the SAE, and the Indians have had more experience with amphibs than about anyone.

The other place you might be able to pick up some used troopships and so on is Nordmark: they have a few older troopships and amphibs that you might be able to get.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hrolf Hakonson" (Nov 1st 2009, 11:37am)

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 1:40pm

And India is nore than happy to share designs with SAE for free. But sadly no equipment available.