You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 3:21pm

The Weird Sisters

As some of you may know already I'm one of the Shipbucket artists and my latest project has been HMS Courageous, HMS Glorious and HMS Furious.

Here is Furious in WW

Here is Glorious and Courageous (hopefully this might help ShinRa in his rebuilding plans!)

Here is the original ships, Furious as completed and modified and as she was intended.

Hope you guys enjoy them!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hood" (Jan 24th 2009, 3:22pm)

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 3:54pm

Nice pictures.

I think the torpedoes underneath the Swordfish are rather too large. I've got a nice almost finished (and has been for years) Swordfish model at home and the torpedo is a lot smaller.

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 4:06pm

Great drawings !!

I'm looking for a volunteer who is drawing my Chinese carrier ;)

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 7:23pm

Truely awesome drawings that surely took a lot of time and effort to draw up!

Saturday, January 24th 2009, 7:40pm

For some strange reason, I've always liked the look of Furious in her 1917 and 1918 forms. That's just psycho!

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 10:49pm

Missed this when it first came around somehow...

I already have something of a kitbash for what my modernizations are intended to look like, based off something Gravina posted a few years back;

http://wesworld.jk-clan.de/thread.php?postid=68400#post68400

I've been debating on whether to change up the aft flight deck or not, either similar to Ark Royal, or maybe something more American-y. Not really satisfied with the enclosed bow, either.

Furious is intended to have a similar look when modernized, probably to the point of giving her proper uptakes instead of the broadside vents

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 11:13pm

I think the bow needs to have a more pronounced forward angle: currently that's the biggest thing that looks "odd" to me. The tripod mast also looks a bit odd. Other than that, I rather like the looks of her.

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 11:20pm

I was trying to get that blunt, rounded Ark Royal type of bow. <_<

The Tripod's there for a couple reasons, the aesthetic fact that I like something distinctive like that on my ships (My favorite carrier island is the Yorktowns with that tripod). They're also intended to carry the (currently) large and heavy Radar units under development, so something solid to support that is desired. It also jives with the tripod on my current carrier, Hermes.

Sunday, February 1st 2009, 11:26pm

My only nitpick is that the forward most two openings in the ships side could get filled in to improve seakeeping. The bow probably could use abit more of an angle. The aft flight deck I think would look good with a Yorktown type open stern.

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 12:17am

From what I remember of historical plans;

The ships can't have the flight deck extended all the way forwards (or a hurricane bow) because of the fine lines forwards on the cruiser hull. There just isn't enough flotation there to counteract the extra weight of either the bow or the flight deck. Just remove the flying off deck and add some light AA there.

Its also not really possible to get rid of the hump on the flight deck either. Thats not really an issue though.

I think the cutouts for the boats need to be another deck higher as well. Currently they're into the main hull side which would give severe strength problems.

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 4:33pm

I agree with RA on the forecastle issue. Look at any top view and you can see how the forward flight deck tapers. The bow you propose would need massive overhangs on the bows. These ships were very fragile, Courageous needed reinforcing work and I reckon you'd need lots of strengthening on the hull to take so much extra weight forwards. It would alter the trim of the ship somewhat too. Your island is further outboard too but I can't see any problems that can't be rectified there.

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 7:24pm

The 50% modernization I put them through could have Bow reshaping under the costs involved; Would that enable sufficient strengthening to support an enclosed bow? "Hull strengthening" isn't anywhere in the RR&R rules, and the RCN's experience with Hermes operating in northern waters shows the benefits in having an enclosed bow, which is the reason I tried working one in.

As for the island/weapons weight, I'd assume the easiest way to overcome that is how the Saratoga handled it; Assymetrical bulging and ballasting.

Sunday, February 8th 2009, 9:06pm

Its not strengthening that is needed but rather extra buoyancy to support the weight. This means a wider hull form forwards which I don't think would be possible.

Monday, February 9th 2009, 1:39am

What about a bulbous forefoot? Would something like that add or detract from forward bouancy? Not necessarily a modern or complex one (not even something like Yamato's), but something like the Iowa's?