You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 4:12pm

South Georgia

Does anyone know where the South Georgia Naval Station and its' drydock are? As far as I can tell there are four candidate locations, all of which have a sufficiently large area of flat land:

1. Grytviken, probably the administrative centre of the islands but rather ill-suited to being a dockyard - although an excellent harbour
2. Stromness, which was historically used as a repair yard for the whaling fleets
3. Leith, probably the largest settlement, just next door to Stromness and a bit more sheltered
4. the lower Sörling Valley, which is the largest area of ice-free, more-or-less level land on South Georgia, and with the valley being completely ice-free is not threatened by glaciation

Husvik, the most southerly of the Stromness Bay stations, is utterly unsuited to a dockyard, on account of a lack of flat land, but might make a decent anchorage. I have nefarious plans which may involve the Sörling Valley and its' flat-ish ground, but a drydock in the middle would spoil them somewhat. :D

I'm also trying to get a handle on how South Georgia has been settled, since I've got several battalions (!) of Coastal Rangers stationed there - this must make it the most militarised island in the world. Maybe a defence review is called for....

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 4:15pm

No idea, sorry. I'd have likely presumed Grytviken myself, but I've not really studied the local geography much.

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 4:26pm

Looking at Googlemaps, Grytviken looks like the best site.

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 5:44pm

Earl still visits the board on occasion; Have you tried asking him?

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 6:03pm

Erm, Pass. I will have a scratch around my old files and get back to you.

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 6:26pm

And the answer is:-

I never accurately decided.

Saying that, Grytviken is where I had decided it was roughly. Looking at the maps roughly, I think it was probably going to be at King Edward Point at the entrance to the Bay.

The South Georgian Coastal Batteries are established, I think at the Headland seperating East & West Cumberland Bays, and also at Stromness Bay. Plans to build batteries to cover Prince Olav Harbour (Don't know why this was originally, the forts were specified by Peng) were never carried out.

Hope that helps

Thursday, August 26th 2010, 7:25pm

That probably makes sense - it's the best harbour on the island, and (according to what I've found about the Argentine war) that area absorbed about half the Argentine occupation forces. Really, that and Stromness are the only ones that make sense, and Grytviken/King Edward Point is more suitable for a small facility. There's actually space for a Type Four dock there, but no point to it.