You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:02pm

Floating Dry Docks

I and a few others have occasionally brought up the issue of floating dry docks, but not many people have ever really responded. At present I'm presuming these facilities are not covered in the rules, correct?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:18pm

That is my take too, though I am aware of earlier discussions. But the "as is" rules set does not cover floating dry docks, so they do not exists (officially).

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:22pm

That's also my thought.

Do we really need them ????

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:25pm

Quoted

Originally posted by HoOmAn
That is my take too, though I am aware of earlier discussions. But the "as is" rules set does not cover floating dry docks, so they do not exists (officially).

In that case, do you (and others) think this a topic that perhaps we should look into?

I know from our previous discussions that someone suggested "repairs only, no new construction" which I'd agree with.

Quoted

Originally posted by parador

Well, I'd think adding floating drydocks would be a neat addition to the rules, and it would match very well with what'd be available in real life. So... no, we don't need them, I suppose; I'm interested to know if people want them.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:29pm

Quoted

That's also my thought.

Depends on the "we", and what their aims are. I definately see how they'd be useful to the Commonwealth or France, for example. Not as much to the US as Historical (since the US isn't planning to retake the phillipines and such), but it's still nice to move a dock around to where it's needed on occasion.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:32pm

Different Types - Different Missions

In framing the question of 'floating' drydocks, it is workwhile to remember that 'floating' drydocks can be of two generic types - those intended for use at an existing navy yard, and those intended to support fleet operations from forward bases.

This would be an example of the first. Conceivably, a smaller drydock built under the existing infrastructure rules could be viewed as a floating yard dock.

This would be an example of the second sort - one of the large sectional docks built by the USN during the Second World War. I suspect that this is the sort of 'floating dock' people have been thinking about. Our current rules do not cover them.

As the pictures associated with the first example will show, a floating 'yard dock' can be towed considerable distances - but it is certainly not intended to accompany a fleet on active operations.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:37pm

I think the second is more a toy for the big nations, rather than for the small countries.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:42pm

RE: Different Types - Different Missions

Quoted

Originally posted by BruceDuncan
In framing the question of 'floating' drydocks, it is workwhile to remember that 'floating' drydocks can be of two generic types - those intended for use at an existing navy yard, and those intended to support fleet operations from forward bases.

This would be an example of the first. Conceivably, a smaller drydock built under the existing infrastructure rules could be viewed as a floating yard dock.

This would be an example of the second sort - one of the large sectional docks built by the USN during the Second World War. I suspect that this is the sort of 'floating dock' people have been thinking about. Our current rules do not cover them.

As the pictures associated with the first example will show, a floating 'yard dock' can be towed considerable distances - but it is certainly not intended to accompany a fleet on active operations.

I was actually thinking of both types, more of the first than the second.

The modern-day shipyard of ASMAR Astillero de Talcahuano has, as an example, six floating drydocks and two graving docks, as an example. The docks I'm thinking of would be of the first type Bruce mentioned.

Quoted

I think the second is more a toy for the big nations, rather than for the small countries.

Well, I'd agree; it'd be a waste for a small country to invest highly in a vessel like that when their interests likely don't demand it. But it seems rather silly to me to object to something because only "large" countries would be interested in it. ?(

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:44pm

I guess the issue is how to sim it and how to pay for it.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood

Which would be pretty much the heart of the issue.

Just making a wacky off-the-top-of-my-head proposal, perhaps a floating drydock could be priced by IP, costing half the IP of a comparable "land" drydock (graving dock) but only capable of repairing ships or conducting 25% refits. (Never ever never to build a *new* ship.) And perhaps make some restrictions that the floating drydock needs to be, say, anchored in sheltered water, like a lagoon or a protected bay, for the duration of the work? (Though I'd expect this would be an RP issue.)

Example:

Quoted

Size Type Length (m) Length (ft) Cost Turnaround time
0 Floating Dry-dock 70m 230ft .5IP 1 week
.5 Floating Dry-dock 95mft 312 .75IP 2 weeks
1 Floating Dry-dock 120m 393ft 1IP 2 weeks
1.5 Floating Dry-dock 145m 476ft 1.25IP 3 weeks
2 Floating Dry-dock 170m 557ft 1.5IP 3 weeks
2.5 Floating Dry-dock 195m 640ft 1.75IP 4 weeks
3 Floating Dry-dock 220m 721ft 2IP 4 weeks
3.5 Floating Dry-dock 245m 804ft 2.25IP 5 weeks
4 Floating Dry-dock 270m 885ft 2.55IP 5 weeks
4.5 Floating Dry-dock 295m 968ft 2.75IP 6 weeks
5 Floating Dry-dock 320m 1049ft 3IP 6 weeks

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:50pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood

If we pay for floating docks in tonnage rather than IP points then no one will build any more dry docks. Our current infrastructure is massively overpriced compared to historical levels, but this does set off the lack of maintenance required for ships.

If someone wants to spend IP on a floating dock rather than a dry dock, I have no problems with that.

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:56pm

Brocks proposals look good.
Fair prices. I assume bonus points from declaring factories to a project would also benefit these docks as well as land-based ones?

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 10:58pm

The proposal to pay for them with IP seems reasonable to me.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 1:15am

I like it.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 8:51am

Brocks proposals look fair.

Quoted

.... but only capable of repairing ships or conducting 25% refits. (Never ever never to build a *new* ship.) And perhaps make some restrictions that the floating drydock needs to be, say, anchored in sheltered water, like a lagoon or a protected bay, for the duration of the work? (Though I'd expect this would be an RP issue.)

Should also be part of the rules !!! May be .... after shipping the dock to another point, there is a special time to anchor and prepare the dock before the work could start.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 11:04am

We might call them "floating repair docks", just to keep their limitations more in mind.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 3:00pm

Quoted

Quoted

.... but only capable of repairing ships or conducting 25% refits. (Never ever never to build a *new* ship.) And perhaps make some restrictions that the floating drydock needs to be, say, anchored in sheltered water, like a lagoon or a protected bay, for the duration of the work? (Though I'd expect this would be an RP issue.)

Should also be part of the rules !!! May be .... after shipping the dock to another point, there is a special time to anchor and prepare the dock before the work could start.

How much time do you have in mind, how would you suggest it be reported, and how would you suggest it be enforced? Would, for example, it be useful to set it at half of the turnaround time?

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
We might call them "floating repair docks", just to keep their limitations more in mind.

I like this suggestion.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 3:31pm

Russians vote yes...

and scan their factory spreadsheets for the slack to build a couple of these useful little items.

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 4:57pm

Next question, and IIRC Hrolf brought this up with no definative answer given, can we dismantle existing slips/drydocks if they are surplus to requirement and if so can we use the IP gained to build floating drydocks?

Thursday, July 15th 2010, 4:59pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine

Quoted

Quoted

How much time do you have in mind, how would you suggest it be reported, and how would you suggest it be enforced? Would, for example, it be useful to set it at half of the turnaround time?.

I'd say, for simplicities sake, call it a quarter. That will cover not just the siting of the dock, but the delivery of necessary supplies and personnel