You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 4:52pm

OT: Warship tours

I was curious to know what warships you folks have been able to tour, and, for that matter, what ships are there for the purpose in your part of the world.

I've been able to three so far:

HMCS Haida, a Tribal-class DD at Toronto
USS Cassin Downes, a Fletcher at Boston
USS Constitution, also at Boston

I'm hoping to get aboard HMCS Sackville, a corvette, when I go back to Halifax in a month.

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 5:04pm

I've been several times (a long time ago) aboard the turret-ram schip 'Buffel' in Rotterdam. When in Scotland, I visited a Frigate (the sail type frigate) of which I have forgotten it's name. Biggest one I have been on so far is the HMS Belfast when I was in London. Took a lot of pictures there.

Walter

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 5:42pm

I have been aboard HMS Plymouth and HMS Onyx at Liverpool. I've also gone round a Hunt class minesweeper somewhere.
As for WW2 ships there is HMS Belfast in London but i can't think of any others. There are some of QEs 15" guns in front of the Imperial War Museum, which are huge.

There are loads of older ships, e.g. HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.

Portsmouth is the best place to go however, as it contains the vast majority of the RN today.

Sunday, August 24th 2003, 5:45pm

I've been to the Imperial War Museum. When I saw those guns, it almost looked as if they are placed there to protect the Museum. :-)
Quite impressive.

Walter

Monday, August 25th 2003, 7:09am

ships

I have yet to climb aboard a WW2 era ship but living in vancouver is good if your a naval enthusiast. I've been aboard several modern canadian warships from two of the old Annapolis class DD's, to a tribal class, and one of the Halifax class frigates. I have also been aboard a French Floreal class frigate and an American Iwo Jima class LPH, the Tripoli before she was to be de-comissioned. I've also been aboard an Arleigh Burke class DDG and I was quite impressed by her looks. The U.S.S. Independance was also in Vancouver harbour about 6 years ago but you wouldn't beleave the line up to get a boat ride over too her! I unfortunaltly had to go to work that day so I was less than impressed. At one point in time a private firm purchased an old Russian diesel sub and offered tours, which I gleefully took, its not often you get to see inside a sub nevermind a Russian one! The naval visits have petered off since Sept. 11th but occationally one drops in.