You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, September 24th 2004, 4:22pm

A few things now that I am back...

Wes, the Atlantis map is on the way (perhaps you already have it once you read it).
Minor technical difficulties prevent me from accessing the internet with the computer upstairs, so LordArpad and Hooman: you will not see me on ICQ/AIM yet until the problem is solved.
Also means that I cannot mess with my designs yet with the latest version of SS :-(
RAM, regarding that BC design: the 35 knot version does have a Torpedo Bulkhead (1 inch). It also has 11 inch belt armor, 12 inch turret armor and 4 inch deck (so it is slightly better than I thought, with slightly worse deck armor). The faster version (which uses 5 shafts to get to 37.5 knots) does not have TDS.

Friday, September 24th 2004, 4:58pm

Okay. Minor problems solved.

Friday, September 24th 2004, 7:11pm

Thanks for the map, and how was your trip overall?

Friday, September 24th 2004, 7:21pm

Despite the rain (and the blizzard-like conditions in northeasteen BC) not bad. Took along great booty. :-)

Friday, September 24th 2004, 8:41pm

Arr, matey, the Canuckians never knew what hit 'em!

And now, to see Japanese ships in 2.0.1! (cue scary music as cheesy special-effects monster stomps through town...)

Friday, September 24th 2004, 9:39pm

Quoted

Arr, matey, the Canuckians never knew what hit 'em!

Arr, matey. Have ye been drinkin' Captain Morgan???

Quoted

And now, to see Japanese ships in 2.0.1! (cue scary music as cheesy special-effects monster stomps through town...)

Aye, ye have been drinking. ;-)
But you meant something like that weird contraption I will be posting within the nest 5 minutes?

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 5:50am

This Canuck had the Rockies to impeed walters rampage into his neck of the woods.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 6:04am

I thought you bribed some Shaman to do some weird dance to bring forth the rains.
Still, despite that my attack plans were foiled, the booty was great: 11 DVDs (4x1, 1x2, and 1x4), 21 Manga and 18 music CDs (10x1, 1x2, and 1x6)

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 6:11am

Did you visit any hobby shops? Are you even into building model ships?

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 6:24am

Not at the moment since I lack space in my room to work. There is a nice hobby shop Comex that has a store in West Edmonton Mall and Kingsway Garden Mall. I got most of my Anime soundtracks from the Kingsway Garden Mall.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 6:30am

Anime...

A Pirate ship Arcadia in the Pacific...hmmm.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 6:42am

You watch Anime, Ithekro?

Arcadia... I knew that sounded familiar
Arcadia

Well, looking at Anime (and since I play Japan), perhaps I should start constructing the Arcadia as well as the Yamato.
:-)
Yamato

BTW, for those interested the pics are from the Starship Schematic Database which also has neat pictures of ships of the "Star Trek", "Battlestar Galactica" and "Babylon 5" series.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 7:19am

Matsumoto in general

Yes, but Matsumoto is my primary focus.

Star Blazers/Space Battleship Yamato
Harlock
Emeraldas
Galaxy Express 999
Cosmo Warrior Zero
Queen Millennia (still in the process of watching)
a few others.

I've seen some other anime, but I still tend more towards this group than others.

Now if I understood Japanese....then I'd have an even better understanding of the stories (as I've aquired several original language VCDs...without subtitles).

Of course Matsumoto's ship designs are very World War II based. Very being obvious since the staring ship of Star Blazers is the rebuilt Battleship Yamato, sunk in 1945.

I did try to sim out a ship with what could be a wave motion gun equivalent using SS. The 80cm cannon the Germans had for rail guns. (800mm/31.5 inch gun) I don't know if it was a fluke or what, but I managed to get a design the program says will work...even turreted. Of course a 31.5 inch gun was never mounted on any ship design...so the program has nothing to base this on that I know of. But 80cm on a centerline would be like having a wave motion gun in some ways.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 7:45am

Ah, yes. Leiji Matsumoto. Funny thing is that my initial thoughts when seeing it is always "Hmmmmm. Hmmmmm", but on the other hand I think "Quite enjoyable to watch it."
The ones I have a DVD of:
Emeraldas
Galaxy Express 999
Maetel Legend
The rest I have heard of and I do intend to get my hands on that stuff.

Quoted

Now if I understood Japanese....then I'd have an even better understanding of the stories (as I've aquired several original language VCDs...without subtitles).

Ouch! That is a bit of a problem... Perhaps you should try and get subtitled versions of those.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 7:55am

Japanese

If they had them avalible without them being the Chinese/English Subtitles (I've seen them...I hate them) Essentually one translates Japanese to Chinese first, then into English....without consulting with anyone who speaks English as to how the subtitles read. In general the grammer is really bad. I could handle that if the subtitles would be the pronouns correct, or in some cases, people names and genders.

I've decided that, if I want to see the older Harlocks and some of the others, I will have to resort of learning Japanese the hard way. Or find a fan sub somewhere on the net.

I did find one for the new Galaxy Railways that was fan subbed beautifully. I've never seen subtitles so well done before, even by American corperations.

But for now, I will endure my limited knowledge of Japanese in order to see one ship (or sometimes two) defeat huge odds with little more than a few burning holes in the hull. (realism is not the message, but the Arcadia and Yamato are definately two ships you do not want to cross in a broadside duel...or any other sort of duel).

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 8:54am

Quoted

If they had them avalible without them being the Chinese/English Subtitles (I've seen them...I hate them) Essentually one translates Japanese to Chinese first, then into English....without consulting with anyone who speaks English as to how the subtitles read. In general the grammer is really bad. I could handle that if the subtitles would be the pronouns correct, or in some cases, people names and genders.

Well, maybe it is better than some dubs of anime that exist out there. :-)

Quoted

I've decided that, if I want to see the older Harlocks and some of the others, I will have to resort of learning Japanese the hard way. Or find a fan sub somewhere on the net.

Well, I hope you will be able to find something. Learning Japanese the hard way is not easy... still it is nice to notice that now and then I hear a few words that will stick in my mind.

Quoted

But for now, I will endure my limited knowledge of Japanese in order to see one ship (or sometimes two) defeat huge odds with little more than a few burning holes in the hull. (realism is not the message, but the Arcadia and Yamato are definately two ships you do not want to cross in a broadside duel...or any other sort of duel).

Realism? What is that? ;-)
Well, sometimes we viewers don't really care. As long as it looks good... and yes, both Arcadia and Yamato are nasty customers.

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 9:41am

I like the firing arcs on Arcadia better than Yamato , in space you need full 360 degrees coverage. Yamato on the other hand seems to have much more mass than the Arcadia so she'd likely take some more punishment.
On both ships I'm not particularly fond of the fancy fins protruding out from the hull (sensors?) but I knew those Yamato style bridges were usefull for something!!

Saturday, September 25th 2004, 1:57pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro

The HK VCDs and DVDs range from near-perfect subtitle quality to those you can barely understand what is written(you get the impression they are writing English words and using Chinese grammar). The problem is, you don't know which it is until you watch the anime.