You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, May 14th 2004, 10:19am

Small Fast Combatants

At what point does the rule of > 0.5 composite strenght stop working....for example, would a ship design of 175' X 25' X 10' doing a max speed of 20 knots qualify, or would it have to be faster? or bigger? or ????

Friday, May 14th 2004, 3:55pm

For small, ~600t combatants i'm using;
faster than 30knts -above 0.5
faster than 20knts- above 1.00
anything else - 2.00

Saturday, May 15th 2004, 12:58am

So above 600 tons and over 30 knots qualify for 0.5 composite hull strenght?

Saturday, May 15th 2004, 9:34pm

yes

Saturday, May 15th 2004, 9:57pm

Thank You Sir!!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, May 16th 2004, 12:05pm

HUll strength

Hadn´t we a discussion on that issue lately where we also discussed when a ship needs hs 1,00 again? Does somebody remember the thread and can offer a link?

Sunday, May 16th 2004, 10:58pm

We have two suggestions in the thread. Which one is the rule?

Monday, May 17th 2004, 1:13am

Ok, having looked over that thread, it makes no mention of speed, and as the warning that SS throws up relates to speed as well as size, shouldn't we come up with some ruling to include the vessels speed aswell. As ship speed V size is a subject I know little about, I'll let you lot lead the way on this one!!

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, May 17th 2004, 11:36am

Relations

Well, i doubt we´ve to find a rule in relation to speed. For high speeds you´ll need large engines/machinery spaces and thus you stress the hull. Obviously there is a maximum of stress a hull can stand. On the other hand there is no upper limit. You can build your ships as stoudly as you want. So a 600ts vessel with a hs of 1,5 or 2,0 has no problem while one with a hs of 0,35 will be in danger.

I once again read the old thread and came up with the following problem.

When playing around with older designs, looking for chances to modify them or when designing new vessels and trying to make them fit my needs my designs "jump" between several categories of LA´s last proposal. This makes things somewhat difficult. One has to keep an eye on a designs tonnage all the time and in one second one can use x hs and minutes later a hs of y is allowed.

Maybe that´s just a problem for me because I like to play around with a designs size but if it´s not we maybe should avoid grating hs into too much.

I´d like to repeat my proposal made in that old thread:

As low as 0.5 for ships up to 4000
As low as 0.75 for ships between 4001 and up to 6000
And 1,0 for everything above 6000

Note: These are minima. A 4000ts vessel surely could have a hs of 1,00 or above making it less prone to damage by heavy weather or light ice for example.

Having only three classes will keep thing simple. Nothing is fixed of course and more classes or different categories (maybe 3500ts instead of 4000ts) could be defined. It´s just a proposal.

However, I recommend to find a solution soon because there a many designs to come and some are already building and could/should be changed if a new rule is settled down.

Ciao,

HoOmAn