You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 11th 2005, 11:05pm

Paris Post - 19 March 1928

Excerpt from the speech of Senator Pierre Laval:

"Last May 8th, French naval officers and sailors lost their lives, due, at a minimum, to the incompetence of the training and leadership in the Filipino Navy. I therefore propose that PRS Palawan's berth become a permanent memorial, where the French people can come and observe the fell instrument of that disaster. I propose the government of France appropriate 500,000 Francs for the construction of the memorial. I propose the following text:

"On the eigth of May, in the year ninteen hundred and twenty seven, 18 French naval officers and sailors lost their lives in the explosion of the ship below. Whether it was a perfidious attack under cover of a friendly visit, or merely a manifestation of the incompetence of the Filipino Navy has never been definitively established.

We also remember the Filipino naval personnel who, due either to the actions or the failures of their leaders, will never see their homeland again. We assure their loved ones that their sons lie safe in French soil, and we assure them that we share their hope that the misgovernment under which they suffer will be brought to a speedy end."

Friday, August 12th 2005, 12:39am

Since I'm new to the whole wesworld thing, my knowledge of the "Palawan" incident is limited. Limited to the basic assumption that it blew up somewhere, and has become a running joke (OOC, of course). Now, from what I read, I'm guessing it happened in a French Port, and that the remains of the ship are still there, "observe the fell instrument of that disaster".

If the ship's remains are still there, I'm wondering about the legality of this memorial....since the ship would still be the property of the Filipino Government, and thus have the final say on any actions on or related to the wreck (As the German Government currently has all say regarding actions taken at the Bismarck's wreck, And the British for Repulse, Prince of Wales, and Royal Oak, for examples).

If I'm mistaken in any of those assumptions, humble apologies.

Friday, August 12th 2005, 1:23am

(ooc) Ship-shattering Ka-Booms

Palawan blew up in Saigon Harbour during a port visit on 8 May 1927, while tied up along the French battleship Paris (which was aftwards scrapped).

The cause of the explosion was detemined (to everyone's satisfaction except that of the French ;) ) to have been improper transfer of ammunition in 'A' turret magazine (in exact fact, a star-shell was dropped and went off - while the ammunition scuttles were open).

This has already resulted in the fall of the French government, and there are (in?)direct effects - rather nasty ones - still coming for the Filipino...

The Palawan disaster was the second case of The Incredible Exploding Filipino Warship - here's the first.

For some reason, between these two incidents (even after only the first!) Filipino ships have a reputation for "uncontrolled combustion". I haven't a clue why... ^_^

Friday, August 12th 2005, 1:30am

(ic)

Official Statement of the Filipino Government:

"We are deeply upset by the resent speech of M. Laval. Not only does he seek to make a memorial on the basis of unfounded accusations and falsehoods, but he intends to unrightfully retain the property of another nation as well.

"The wreck of Palawan is the property of the Filipino Government. We have not pressed previously for salvage due to the delicate French political situation; however it appears that this can no longer be deferred.

"However, we are willing to reach a compromise with the French government. We are willing to allow France to scrap the remains of Palawan, and retain the recovered material, with the exception of the two remaining main battery turrets, as compensation for the financial and physical damage caused by the loss of the battleship Paris as a result of the explosion.

"If this is not acceptable to M. Poincare's government, then we will be taking this matter to the League of Nations, to be added to our previous protest regarding French treatment of Filipino shipping."

Friday, August 12th 2005, 1:32am

These are considerations...

Quoted

If the ship's remains are still there, I'm wondering about the legality of this memorial....since the ship would still be the property of the Filipino Government, and thus have the final say on any actions on or related to the wreck (As the German Government currently has all say regarding actions taken at the Bismarck's wreck, And the British for Repulse, Prince of Wales, and Royal Oak, for examples).

That is why it is the berth that will become the memorial, and the construction will not contact PRS Palawan in any way. It will be observable from the memorial platform however.

And it will be well-lit and guarded ;-)

Friday, August 12th 2005, 1:33am

That looks like the semi-famous picture of the Shaw exploding. And this looks like it'll be interesting...

Friday, August 12th 2005, 4:09am

Shinra, you ought to read through the news from the beginning. Might find some interesting stories scattered through out.

Friday, August 12th 2005, 4:12am

I've read through a lot of it. There's just the occasional inconveniences like...work, eating, sleeping. :x

Friday, August 12th 2005, 6:55am

Except for the work part, those don't sound like inconveniences to me!

Friday, August 12th 2005, 5:16pm

Quoted

That looks like the semi-famous picture of the Shaw exploding.

The individual (who wishes to remain anonymous but we al know who he is :-)) has been know to 'kidnap' (or attempt to 'kidnap') certain historical characters. The photo of the exploding Shaw is obviously one of those victims as well.
... so Swamphen... When will you kidnap the Statue of Liberty?
Whoops! I shouldn't have mentioned your name!
:-)

Friday, August 12th 2005, 5:22pm

Shouldn't have given him the idea, either.

Friday, August 12th 2005, 6:08pm

Yes, it's like giving Manzo a plane to crash somewhere. :-)

Friday, August 12th 2005, 8:04pm

You rang?

The things people accuse me of! I mean, look at the picture: that is clearly the Manila shipyards, you can even see Nagato there off to the right. And I'm sure the crew of USS Shaw would be surprised to learn their ship has blown up. What more do you want?

^_^

Friday, August 12th 2005, 8:12pm

Well, shucks, I thought the Nagato was moored, that ship appears to be underway....and with a fantail catapult and crane arangement...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Friday, August 12th 2005, 8:15pm

Conspiracy

Quoted

I mean, look at the picture: that is clearly the Manila shipyards, you can even see Nagato there off to the right.

We all know that the Shaw was actually beamed away by aliens. So in order to prevent the citizens to find out about that, the US used the picture of the exploding Mindoro and said it was the Shaw blowing up.

Friday, August 12th 2005, 8:19pm

Quoted

Well, shucks, I thought the Nagato was moored, that ship appears to be underway....

Well, someone apparently forgot to properly moor the Nagato and it was floating away at that moment.
O_O
The person responsible now serves at JASEO and is creating small icecubes which the scientists can use in their glas of Kobe Cola.

Quoted

and with a fantail catapult and crane arangement...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Exactly how she looks. :-)

Friday, August 12th 2005, 9:14pm

Nagato has the double-over-triple turret arrangement, too? :x

Friday, August 12th 2005, 9:44pm

That...
(Advisors! Quick! I need a good answer)
... is a fake gun barrel... yes it is. It's there to fool the enemy.
(note that that is the wrong reply since Nagato uses triples)

Wednesday, August 17th 2005, 1:00pm

Isn't 0,5m francs a bit too much? IIRC the cost of the Maginot line, or at least the funds authorised in 1929 was 3,0m F.