You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:09pm

British Destroyers - Need Help

Can anyone identify the classes of the British destroyers in the encyclopaedia; I'm at something of a loss as to what class is which.

Even a name for the ship pictured would help...

RLBH

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 6:45pm

Here's some help: I think most all of them are actual historic classes, you can look at navalhistory.flixco for more detail.

The Marksman-class is the one exception, that class I can't find a corresponding British destroyer type for.

The Yarrow S type could be seven DDs of the Admiralty S type built at Yarrow (though I don't know that that's the historic number built there). Same with the Thornycroft S, and the Admiralty S might well be the rest of the class (they certainly look the same). The Admiralty V looks like a historic Admiralty V type DD, so the Thornycroft V could well just be Vs built by Thornycroft. The Yarrow M's could be either M or repeat M's built at Yarrow, though it looks like they've been lumped in with some of the other M-class boats since Yarrow only built 6 Ms in total. The R's would probably be the Admiralty Rs and modified Rs, with the Thornycroft Rs being the Thornycroft R specials.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 8:48pm

They are all historical. Next problem is finding a source that gives detail on them.

Jane's 1919 should help.

Thursday, January 26th 2006, 8:58pm

Hah, yes, that's gotten it: the Marksmen class in the encyclopedia is what navalhistory was referring to as the Lightfoot class. The picture is of HMS Abdiel, which was a minelayer, the rest of the class were destroyer leaders which shipped an extra 4 inch gun and 4 21" torpedo tubes in place of the mines.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 12:32am

Magic!

Thanks very much, guys: with that, I'll have a decent OOB done tomorrrow evening.

Now I just need to track down a few of Gravina's classes, but their details should be fairly easy to find on the boards...

RLBH

Friday, January 27th 2006, 1:11am

Note: All of the Thornycraft V & Rs where transfered to Australia, plus ten Admirality S.

Friday, January 27th 2006, 3:04am

The M's and early leaders (Marksman) were scrapped. By 1929 there are only S&T's and V&W's left of the war built ships.

Cheers,