You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 15th 2010, 9:23pm

World War II Quiz

Wrote this up for another forum and wondered if you all would enjoy taking a crack at it. (And double-checking my answers...)

Quoted

History quiz to test your knowledge of WWII. No Google allowed.

1. What European Axis power maintained relations with the Soviet Union up until 1944?
2. What country's armed forces made the first amphibious landing of World War II, and where was it?
3. Which country supplied the largest resistance movement in World War II?
4. Which country had the largest number of collaborators in World War II?
5. What was the last country to declare war on the Axis Powers?
6. Four countries are usually counted as "Axis Cobelligerents" rather than "Axis Powers". Which countries were these?
7. One Axis signatory never fought against any of the Allied powers, and is usually counted among Allied ranks. What country is this?
8. Which six (edit: eight) European countries maintained neutrality during WWII?
9. The highest-scoring fighter aces of WWII were mainly German. Who was the highest-scoring non-German fighter ace? (For half points, his nationality will do.) Who was the highest-scoring Allied fighter ace? (For half points, nationality?) Who was the highest-scoring female ace? (Again, half points for her nationality.) For bonus points, what planes did they fly?
10. The French and Italian militaries are often accused of being incompetent or easy to defeat. Name three battles where French or Italian troops defied this reputation, earning the highest regards from their opponents. For bonus points, identify three battles where this reputation was applicable. Half points to name only one example.
11. Use of chemical and biological warfare weapons was generally avoided. Identify one occasion where chemical weapons were used.
12. German technological prowess is often a topic of discussion among WWII enthusiasts. Name three technological advances the Allies maintained against the Axis.

Quoted

Q1: 1 point
Q2: 1 point
Q3: 1 point
Q4: 1 point
Q5: 1 point
Q6: 4 points
Q7: 1 point
Q8: 6 points (edit: 8)
Q9: 3 points
Q10: 3 points
Q11: 1 point
Q12: 3 points
- Total: 26 points (edit: 28)

Monday, February 15th 2010, 9:35pm

1. Bulgaria
2. Germany, and I believe it was in Norway somewhere.
3. Soviet Russia
4. France
5. Turkey
6. Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Finland
7. Finland
8. Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, Ireland.

Monday, February 15th 2010, 10:18pm

1) Bulgaria
2) It depends of the date. If we are counting as the Sino-Japanese war as being part of WW2 them the Japanese landings near Shangai in 1937 or early 1938 IIRC.
3) China
4) Percentage of population? If number I go with France if percentage Belgium.
5) Argentina
6) Bulgaria, Romania, Finland, Hungary
7) Siam
8 ) Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and Ireland
9) No idea of the names or nationalities
10) Dakar
11) official one I can recall but there was a chemical accident in Taranto or some Italian port in 1943.
12) Radar, proximity fuse rounds, sonar

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "perdedor99" (Feb 15th 2010, 10:18pm)

Monday, February 15th 2010, 10:23pm

1) Bulgaria
2) Sovietunion, during the vinter war
3) Sovietunion (or posiibly China)
4) Sovietunion
5) Chile or Argentina
6) Finland, Vichy France, Manchukou and Siam
7) No idea
8) Sweden, Ireland,Vatican and Switzerland (Spain, Andorra and Portugal declared themselves non-belligerents) the only other nations i can think of is San Marino and Lichtenstein
9) Ilmari Juutilainen, Finland
10) Bir Hachim(sp?), Gela and Bir El Gobi for fighting well
11) pass
12) Qustion needs clarification, areas or specific inventions/items

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Vukovlad" (Feb 15th 2010, 10:24pm)

Monday, February 15th 2010, 10:31pm

And nice questions that one doesnt ponder to often

Monday, February 15th 2010, 10:49pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
And nice questions that one doesnt ponder to often

Thanks. I posed it to a forum of (predominantly) Americans as a test of "What do Americans know about non-American involvement in WWII." Tried not to fill it with too many esoteric questions.

I'll tally points later, when I've got a few minutes.

Monday, February 15th 2010, 10:54pm

#7 is sneaky although not totally correct if you think of the same nation as I do (and that I totally blanked out when I answered the questions)

Monday, February 15th 2010, 11:15pm

Tentative Scores:
Vukovlad: 17 points
TexasCowboy: 15 points
Perdedor: 12 points
TheCanadian: 9 points

*Note: Although Vukovlad, Perdedor, and TheCanadian all provided different answers for Q2, I awarded them all a point because of the way the answers can be argued.

Edit: Vukovlad also wins two extra points for helping me catch an error.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:10am

1. Bulgaria
2. Soviet Russia, during the winter war of 1939
3. Soviet Russia(Partisian forces saved the Kursk Buldge)
4. France(Vichy France if you look at that as Collaberation)
5. Bulgaria, when it declared for the Soviet's
6. Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Finland,(And possibly Slovakia)
7. Tough one....I'm going to go with Vichy France
8. Sweden, San Marino, Ireland, Andorria, Lichenstein, Switzerland, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, Vatican
9. Italy? Britian?
10. Can be applicated to Italy at Toranto, and the British Egyptian campaign. France during the Andennes.
11. China, during the 2nd Sino-Japanese war in 1937
12. Proximity Fuses, Backpack Radio's, and radar. Another example could be DP guns, since Germany couldn't develop them.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:52am

Quoted

Originally posted by TexanCowboy
1. Bulgaria
2. Soviet Russia, during the winter war of 1939
3. Soviet Russia(Partisian forces saved the Kursk Buldge)
4. France(Vichy France if you look at that as Collaberation)
5. Bulgaria, when it declared for the Soviet's
6. Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Finland,(And possibly Slovakia)
7. Tough one....I'm going to go with Vichy France
8. Sweden, San Marino, Ireland, Andorria, Lichenstein, Switzerland, Monaco, Portugal, Spain, Vatican
9. Italy? Britian?
10. Can be applicated to Italy at Toranto, and the British Egyptian campaign. France during the Andennes.
11. China, during the 2nd Sino-Japanese war in 1937
12. Proximity Fuses, Backpack Radio's, and radar. Another example could be DP guns, since Germany couldn't develop them.

About fifteen points.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:53am

Can you PM me what I missed?

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 12:57am

Posting the answers tomorrow? And once again a good initiative are more quizes coming?

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 1:01am

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Posting the answers tomorrow? And once again a good initiative are more quizes coming?

I can look into writing more quizzes, sure. I just wrote this one mostly off the top of my head for a debate in another forum. Will post the answers sometime before I go to bed.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 4:58am

Let me see...

1. Bulgaria
2. Germany in Poland
3. France
4. Norway
5. Argentina
6. Finland, Siam, Vichy France, Manchuria
7. Siam
8. Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, Spain, San Marino, Monaco, Vatican City
9. That Russian dude (La-7), same guy, Some Russian female (La-5)
10.1 French vs Allied landings (Torch), Italian MTB naval battle (name escapes me), Italian attack on GB fleet at Alexandria
10.2 Battle of Ardennes, Taranto, North Africa & Greece (Italian invasion), some Italian naval battle (BBs involved)
11. Japan vs China
12. Radar, ASW, Long range bombers

I should make an aircraft quiz.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:13am

RE: World War II Quiz

I try to answer with what I know and not what I read form the others answer.

1. No Idea.
2. Germany in Norway
3. I like to say Poland but Soviet union partisan were more numerous
4. Belgians, on per 1000 person basis.
5. No Idea some Latin American nation.
6. Spain, Portugal, and Turkey?
7. no idea
8. Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Sweden, Monaco, Vatican(I don't if it was a country back then),San Marino, Spain Portugal
9. Kobulow? Russian flown (aira)Cobra and Lavochkin also first russian to shot down US aircraft in a friendly fire incident shot down a mustang.
10. French fought tough for there home land they were out maneuvered and hampered by sixth column. Also French vs Italian battles in 1940 were intense. Regia Aeronautica and Armee 'd Air(Google not allowed so the spellings of) fought bitterly with each other. Italian combat divers were world best and have large number of successes on there count.Vichy France forces in Torch operation fought well at first then were mostly ordered to back of. Free French units in Italy had there sheer in victories. Italian Spaviero Bombers were the scourge of the Middleterenian till 1943.
11. US cargo ship caring gas exploding doesn't count as it was an accident.Gas was used in Ethiopia by the Italians by the Japanese in China. I like to add death camps but that was not combat use by definition, it was an execution/murder, not combat.
12. Sonar, Proximity fuse, atomic bomb.

Edit:
I don't know why French and Italians have bad fame in the world. French Germans and Italians have the same founding country. In Poland French are remembered for Napoleon and De Gaulle two great men held in high regard. Italians have some fame left over form the middle ages.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Marek Gutkowski" (Feb 16th 2010, 6:26am)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 6:27am

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
I should make an aircraft quiz.

Please do.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:01pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
Will post the answers sometime before I go to bed.

Must be an insomniac... ;)

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:08pm

Oh phooey. Just forgot. :P

Quoted

1. What European Axis power maintained relations with the Soviet Union up until 1944?

Bulgaria.

Quoted

2. What country's armed forces made the first amphibious landing of World War II, and where was it?

Open to some interpretation, actually. There are several candidates:
- The Japanese landings at Shanghai in 1937. (If you count the Sino-Japanese War as part of WWII.)
- The Russian landings on Hogland (Finland) during the Winter War. (If you count the Winter War but not the Sino-Japanese War as part of WWII.)
- The German invasion of Norway in April 1940. (Arguable: the invasion forces disembarked from warships into docks.)
- The British landings in British Somaliland in March 1941.

Quoted

3. Which country supplied the largest resistance movement in World War II?

In order of sheer manpower:
- Yugoslavia
- Russia
- Poland

Quoted

4. Which country had the largest number of collaborators in World War II?

France.

Quoted

5. What was the last country to declare war on the Axis Powers?

Chile declared war on the Axis in April 1945.

Quoted

6. Four countries are usually counted as "Axis Cobelligerents" rather than "Axis Powers". Which countries were these?

San Marino, Finland, Iraq, and Thailand.

Quoted

7. One Axis signatory never fought against any of the Allied powers, and is usually counted among Allied ranks. What country is this?

Yugoslavia was an Axis member, but only signed with the caveat that they did not have to provide troops or territory for Axis military operations. A few days later, they had a royal coup. The Germans invaded, believing it was sponsored by the British. Yugoslavia was occupied, launched a resistance movement, and is often counted as an Allied power. (King Peter of Yugoslavia spent most of WWII serving in the Allied Armies.)

Quoted

8. Which six European countries maintained neutrality during WWII?
Switzerland and Sweden are the obvious two. A bunch of those little principalities that no one ever remembers.

Sweden, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Liechtenstein, Andorra, and Vatican City.

Quoted

9. The highest-scoring fighter aces of WWII were mainly German. Who was the highest-scoring non-German fighter ace? (For half points, his nationality will do.) Who was the highest-scoring Allied fighter ace? (For half points, nationality?) Who was the highest-scoring female ace? (Again, half points for her nationality.) For bonus points, what planes did they fly?

Ilmari Juutilainen of Finland, with 94 confirmed aerial kills flying Fokker D.XXIs, Brewster B.239s, and Bf109s. The Allied ace of aces was Soviet pilot Ivan Kozhedub, with 62 kills while flying Lavochkin La-7s. The highest-ranking female ace is Soviet pilot Lidiya Litvak, with 12 kills in a Lavochkin La-5.

Other aces:
- The US ace of aces was Richard Bong, with 40 confirmed in a P-38.
- The British ace of aces was Johnnie Johnson, with 38 confirmed in various marks of Supermarine Spitfires.
- The South African ace of aces (albeit in RAF service) was Adolph "Sailor" Malan, with 32 kills in Spitfires. The SAAF pilot John "Jack" Frost, with 15 kills, was the highest-ranking South African ace to serve in a South African squadron.
- The Canadian ace of aces was George Beurling, with 31.5 kills in Spitfires - 27 kills in the space of 14 days over Malta
- The Australian ace of aces was Clive Caldwell, with 28.5 kills in P40 Tomahawks and Supermarine Spitfires; he also claims six additional 'probables'.
- The Slovak ace of aces was Mato Dukovac, with 44 kills in Bf109s.
- The French ace of aces was Pierre Clostermann, with 33 kills flying for the Free French in Spitfires and Hawker Tempests.
- The Japanese ace of aces is probably Tetsuzo Iwamoto with claimed 202 kills, but the number is potentially as low as 80. Also of note was Japanese pilot Saburo Sekai, with 64 kills, who never lost a wingman in combat.
- The Italian ace of aces is Adriano Visconti, with 26 kills in Macchi MC202s, MC205s, and Messerschmitt Bf109s.
- The Romanian ace of aces is Alexandru ^erbnescu, with 47 kills flying IAR-80s and Bf109s.
- The German ace of aces, and the highest-scoring ace of all time, was Erich Hartmann, with 352 aerial kills - 260 being fighters.

Quoted

10. The French and Italian militaries are often accused of being incompetent or easy to defeat. Name three battles where French and Italian troops defied this reputation, earning the highest regards from their opponents. For bonus points, identify three battles where this reputation was applicable. Half points to name one example.

Three examples: at Bir Hakeim, under 4,000 Free French troops - largely colonials - held off 45,000+ Germans and Italians for sixteen days. At El Alamein, Rommel commented that the Italians fought harder and more bravely than most of the German troops. In Sicily, the Americans were impressed at the defense of Italian troops, many commenting later that the Italians fought harder than any of the Germans they ever faced.

Quoted

11. Use of chemical and biological warfare weapons was generally avoided. Identify one occasion where chemical weapons were used.

The Germans used gas during the Siege of Sevastopol, and the Japanese regularly used it against the Chinese (but never against Westerners).

Quoted

12. German technological prowess is often a topic of discussion among WWII enthusiasts. Name three technological advances the Allies maintained against the Axis.

I'd say my top three tech developments are the atomic bomb, radar, and the proximity fuse. Also hear sonar, penicillin, computers (particularly for codebreaking), and UNREP equipment.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:14pm

Quoted

- The British ace of aces was Johnnie Johnson, with 38 confirmed in various marks of Supermarine Spitfires.

Everyone always seems to forget Sqn Ldr Pat Pattle with ~50+ kills in Gladiators and Hurricanes.

Quoted

I'd say my top three tech developments are the atomic bomb, radar, and the proximity fuse. Also hear sonar, penicillin, computers (particularly for codebreaking), and UNREP equipment.

Atomic Bomb, penicillin and computers are the most important, and ones that Germany really had no answer for.

Tuesday, February 16th 2010, 9:36pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Red Admiral

Quoted

Everyone always seems to forget Sqn Ldr Pat Pattle with ~50+ kills in Gladiators and Hurricanes.

I did not forget Sqn Ldr Pattle, but it's an issue of Claimed versus Confirmed. Pattle claimed more kills than Johnson, but they have not all been confirmed; Johnson has more confirmed and so that's why he's usually regarded as the Western Allies' Ace of Aces.

However, it's worth mentioning that Pattle is indisputably the ranking ace in both Gladiators (fifteen confirmed) and Hurricanes.