You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, March 23rd 2012, 4:45pm

Bharat News, 1942

5 January 1942

The Government of Bharat has reinstated the credentials of German's ambassador. Foreign Affairs Minister Ramoji Aswathanarayana told reporters that the finacial issues leading to the August 1941 revocation of credentials had been resolved to the government's satisfaction.

21 January 1942

The incomplete battleship Samanjir has been moved into a drydock at Chennai, where she will be converted into an aircraft carrier. Naval officials noted that the vessel had been designed with such a possibility in mind, so the process is not expected to be a complicated one.

The former Filipino aircraft carrier Sulu, to be renamed Bichawa, will arrive in Chennai next week for reconstruction. It is expected that the ship will emerge from drydock later this year in a state nearly identical to her half-sister Urumi.

8 February 1942

The Adventurer's Guild is expressing disappointment after learning that their proposal for an icebreaking research vessel had been turned down by the Government. "We thought we had a reasonable proposal for a vessel to support future Antarctic research, and we thought the timing was good given the relative health of the shipbuilding sector", a spokesman noted. "Evidently, we thought wrong."

4 March 1942

The Baldia Commission's Stakeholder Identification Period ends on March 15. The Commission began accepting submissions in January from anybody wishing to identify themselves as having been affected by the Baldia Incident.

The man known as K told reporters, "While the public expresses their interest, we are also conducting a preliminary examination of information to identify other witnesses whom we may ask to testify. It is likely that we will have a first list of witnesses to call by the end of April, in which case we will begin hearings in May."

18 March 1942

A spokesman for the Bharatiya Nau Sena has confirmed that the navy will join with the Royal South African Navy in exercises late this year. "The exercise is very much in the early planning stages, so we can't say with any real certainty where the exercise will be held, or which third parties may be invited to participate."

Thursday, May 24th 2012, 4:42pm

This is strictly for OOC knowledge. You'll probably not see concrete evidence of what the Minister of Defence decided until 1943, but feel free to speculate now.

Quoted

DECISION BRIEFING NOTE FOR THE MINISTER OF DEFENCE

To: Minister of Defence
Date: April 3, 1942
Classification: Top Secret

ISSUES

The purpose of this decision document is to seek Ministerial direction as to the future of BNS major unit acquisitions, namely:

A) The nature of major units to be acquired.

B) Whether to continue the tranch system or revert to a sequential procurement process.

BACKGROUND

Major units are defined as battleships, battlecruisers, and aircraft carriers. They do not include the concept of armored cruisers, though such a type is legally considered a capital ship alongside battleships and battlecruisers.

The BNS has acquired major units in tranches for fifty years:

T1: Pre-dreadnoughts Ashoka and Chandragupta: No longer in service
T2: Battleships Dara Shikoh and Babur, aircraft carrier Otta): No longer in service.
T3: Battleships Akbar and Jahangir, aircraft carriers Urumi and Bichawa: In service and refitted except for the latter, refitting into service.
T4: Battleship Shah Jahan, aircraft carriers Talwar and Val: In service.
T5: Battleship Samanjir, aircraft carriers Katar, Aruval and Katar: Cancelled.

Tranch 1 was obtained from Germany and served the purpose of ensuring coastal defence in a period of international uncertainty, but were rapidly rendered obsolete by the development of the dreadnought.

Tranche 2 was largely obtained from South Africa and coincided with the enactment of the Cleito Treaty. The ships obtained in this tranche were of limited combat ability, but served primarily to allow development and training of the BNS as a blue water force.

Tranche 3 and 4 were domestically developed, within the limits of the Cleito Treaty. A long-term plan was put in place to ensure that usage of Bharat's tonnage allocations balanced quality versus quantity. This was facilitated by the binding limits on domestic and foreign warship sizes and quantities. Bharat's limited naval budget and naval infrastructure were able to deliver on the tranches but often with the requirement that lesser warships and auxiliaries be fitted in between tranches for budgetary purposes. The output was a battleship squadron supported by a small aircraft carrier, and an aircraft carrier striking squadron supported by cruisers. It is generally considered that the vessels were as good as any others built to similar displacement.

Tranch 5 was sourced after the Cleito Treaty, in a period in which construction policy became less about long-term objectives and more about short-term crisis-avoidance and gamesmanship. Designs were sub-optimal and did not mesh well with existing major units. Of the four units in question, two have been disposed of, one cancelled, and the fourth is now in the process of being converted to a more effective aircraft carrier.

CONSIDERATIONS

Several considerations must be taken into account as the future of the BNS is contemplated:

Anti-imperialist efforts by SATSUMA did not result in any "hard power" undertakings, and only limited "soft" successes. Imperialist powers demonstrated the ability to set aside their differences and form large alliances intended to preserve their Asian colonies. With the SATSUMA alliance now a thing of the past, it seems reasonable to conclude that the BNS will not, by itself, initiate anti-imperial military action.

Hand in hand with this is a cooling of relations with previously neutral or friendly western states such as Germany and the United States. Where previously it might have been thought that these nations would use soft power to limit conflict between Bharat and third parties, there is no such expectation now.

There is a new relationship with the United Kingdom, although its exact nature is muddied by the ambiguous wording of the ABUSE Treaty in particular. The ABUSE Treaty appears to imply a mutual defensive obligation with the UK. More clear is that the BNS' overall size is constrained to a fixed fraction of the Royal Navy, with some hard caps on specific warship numbers and fuzzier caps on other warship numbers. While future aircraft carrier construction would require replacement of existing units, future battleship or battlecruiser construction would merely complement existing units.

Residual defence obligations remain to Persia and Hedjaz. Neither is overtly at risk of attack from major powers, but could face internal strife or conflict with local proxies. Previous efforts to use the Persian and Hedjazi navies as end-runs around ABUSE limits have been clumsy and transparent to third parties and a source of friction with Persia and Hedjaz themselves.

There is a residual defensive relationship with the Kingdom of South Africa. Neither the KSA nor Bharat have actively sought each other's assistance in recent conflicts. Operational interaction over the past several years has been limited.

With the termination of the Cleito Treaty, warship sizes are escalating dramatically, as evidenced by battleships laid down in the UK, Germany, USA, Japan and elsewhere. Aircraft carriers are growing at a less explosive rate, but their increase is viewed as inevitable; aircraft themselves are growing in size and require larger units to operate from.

At the same time, Bharati investment in naval construction remains unchanged over the past twenty years, despite significant industrialization and growth in the economy in general. Naval infrastructure, while adequate, remains limited and must be utilized in an efficient manner. Resources that are directed towards improving infrastructure will come at the cost of additional warship construction or upkeep.

OPTIONS

Decision #1: Quality or Quantity

Without permanent, additional funding, the BNS can not increase both the size and quantity of its major units.

If major units are maintained at their generally current size, eight to ten major units could be procured and operated at one time. This would maximize operational flexibility, and minimize strain on existing naval infrastructure - specifically, slips and docks of 220 m and more. However, individual major units would be at a quantitative disadvantage to larger foreign units, and procurement of screening and support assets may be more challenging.

If major units are permitted to grow in accordance to international trends, four to six major units may be the limit that can be procured and operated at one time. These units would be of equivalent power to foreign units, may be more compatible with RSAN units, and might be better suited to long-term service. However, they may post more strain on naval infrastructure, and the BNS' construction budget may be hard-pressed to fund more than one unit while also concurrently funding screening and support assets. Operational flexibility will be reduced.

Decision #2: Tranche or Sequential Acquisition

The Tranche system would generally deliver two or more major units of a single class in a short timeframe. These units would be operationally compatible, and allow "class for class" replacement in due course. However, the tranche system requires a unique slipway or dock for each vessel constructed. There is also the aforementioned budgetary crunch while a class of major units are under construction, which would be more severe if the BNS adopts quality over quantity. It should also be noted that, with several years between construction of major unit types (either battleship, battlecruiser, or aircraft carrier), technical expertise can be lost.

Sequential Acquisition would deliver a single major unit at a time. A single slipway or dock could be employed for the totality of construction, and the more continuous nature of construction would allow retention and incremental improvement of shipyard expertise. Budgetary crunches would be minimized. Incremental improvement of major unit designs would be possible, but could be effectively negated where newer units are operating with older units.

OPTIONS

Option One: Acquire for Quantity, Through the Tranche System [Status Quo]

-No additional infrastructure required.
-Propose new class or classes of major units, based on requirements and limitations.
-Propose additional screening units, based on ABUSE limitations.

Option Two: Acquire for Quality, Through Tranch System

-Additional slipway expansion will be required.
-Propose new class of major unit, based on requirements and limitations.

Option Three: Acquire for Quality, Through Sequential Acquisition [Recommended Option]

-Additional slipway expansion may be required.
-Propose sequencing of new major units, based on requirements and limitations.

Thursday, May 24th 2012, 5:59pm

Very interesting and well-written.

I've seen a bit of evidence of the previous tranche system in evaluating the Indian encyclopedia, but it's neat to see them broken down and evualated as you did here.

Thursday, May 24th 2012, 6:15pm

Thanks. I wasn't calling it "tranche" in the past, but there's no doubt I was planning long-term.

I guess Bichawa should/could be considered T5 or T5.5, given that the BNS only just bought her from the Philippines - however, she's still a "first generation" Indian carrier, at or past the mid-point of her service life. She and Urumi will be the first of the carriers to be replaced at some point.

Thursday, May 24th 2012, 7:29pm

An excellent assessment of what has transpired in the past, and a very well thought-out and written precis of what can be accomplished given the resource constraints under which the Bharati Navy must operate. It is quite frank and open regarding what has happened in the past, and provides a range of options for re-balancing the situation.

Friday, June 1st 2012, 5:42pm

18 May 1942

Appearing in marine shipping publications worldwide:

Quoted

Notice to Mariners

The Government of the Empire of Bharat hereby provides notice to mariners of joint naval exercises to take place in the first two weeks of December, 1942.

Mariners may observe or encounter increased naval and aerial traffic in Bharati, Persian, South African and international waters of the Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, and adjacent areas during this period. Standard rights-of-way will be observed to the degree possible by participating warships, but mariners may be asked to alter course where participating warships are engaged in complex manuevers.

No live-fire gunnery exercises will take place outside existing, designated gunnery ranges within Bharati and/or South African waters.

For further information, please contact the Exercise Secretariat, c/o Bharatiya Nau Sena.

Edit: Yeah, this is the thread it should be in, not that Persian one.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Friday, June 1st 2012, 10:29pm

Good post on BNS capabilities and thinking. I once wondered if it would help BNS if there is some lend/lease installment with the SAE. But then I retired the idea as relations with the Dutch could be affected. However, should Baraht and the Dutch ever lay down their arguments, the idea of a joint naval force including assets under command of foreign power could be an option.... Think ABDA, just a bit better.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Friday, June 1st 2012, 11:11pm

Much of the fire has left the Bahrati-Dutch relationship.

In the mid 1930s, under Land, the Dutch deliberately tried to dampen the verbal posturing of the relationship. This was helped by Bahrat's quiet cessation of support for Malay Archepelago "Sons of India" rebels when TIDE was introduced...and after their burning some bridges with the native population...

That foriegn minister was coalition member who was retained during the DMZSPD years, so the Dutch didn't try to poison the English/Bahrati deals, and pro-SAE factions meant the two navies "played nice" and cooperated (a little) to support SAE. Then Bahrat pulled out of SATSUMA, which helped.

They are a long way from friends, and I doubt either really trusts the other greatly, but it's not the same relationship as was present in 1928 (when I started writing).

OOC: I've been struggling for a bit now to try figure out the future Dutch navy composition as ship sizes soar and as importances change. The Dutch may have more factories, but they have far more commitments as well.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jun 1st 2012, 11:14pm)

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 1:22am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
OOC: I've been struggling for a bit now to try figure out the future Dutch navy composition as ship sizes soar and as importances change. The Dutch may have more factories, but they have far more commitments as well.

Yeah, it's kind of tough. I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether Bharat gives up on battleships (which are growing faster than carriers) or takes one more kick at that particular can before moving to a straight-out carrier force.

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 2:50am

Even with the 30 US factories

I too struggle to meet the USN's commitments. One way this is reflected, is that all my post-Montana designs have been much smaller than the Montana's themselves.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Saturday, June 2nd 2012, 11:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor

Yeah, it's kind of tough. I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide whether Bharat gives up on battleships (which are growing faster than carriers) or takes one more kick at that particular can before moving to a straight-out carrier force.

I'm also trying to keep the ideas of my 1936 review in mind, the same officers would still be involved, and it's not too far off of what we're seeing. So the Dutch are leaning towards adapting formal "1st Line BB" and "2nd Line BC"

One complicating factor I've been pondering is the Rules of War. Both Submarines and Carriers loose a great deal of value for sea interdiction if...for example...I'd say the International community in WW expects that you stop and search freighters for contraband...and not just sink ships in a certain sea zone. Given the higher activity level of the LON, and alliances, actual repercussions are likely.....

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
I too struggle to meet the USN's commitments. One way this is reflected, is that all my post-Montana designs have been much smaller than the Montana's themselves.

At 15 factories it's more acute. The Kortenaer design had to be kept smaller, so it was affordable, mainly lacking 30+knt speed, so it can play with the big boys, but I'm under no illusion they are world beaters.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kaiser Kirk" (Jun 2nd 2012, 11:59pm)

Sunday, June 3rd 2012, 12:12am

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
One complicating factor I've been pondering is the Rules of War. Both Submarines and Carriers loose a great deal of value for sea interdiction if...for example...I'd say the International community in WW expects that you stop and search freighters for contraband...and not just sink ships in a certain sea zone. Given the higher activity level of the LON, and alliances, actual repercussions are likely.....

That is certainly an understatement, particularly if you are not actually at war with anyone. 8)

Sunday, June 24th 2012, 3:53pm

26 May 1942: The Times of Bharat

Quoted

The Baldia Commission commenced hearings today with opening remarks from its chairman, K, in Chittigong.

"In August 1931, Filipino construction workers on the island of Itu Aba fell ill with a previously unindentified disease. After a gestation perdiod later determined to be ten to twelve days, victims were asymptomatic and non-infectious, they would suddenly develop a fever and blood-filled pustules all across their body. One to two days later, the victims would suddenly begin massive hemorrhaging and bleed out.

"Citizens of Manila, the first major urban centre to be struck by the disease, called it El Derretir: The Melting.

"By October of 1931, cases were reported in the city of Imphal and very quickly other regions across Bharat. It was a time of fear and despair, as military garrisons mutinied, the Samraja perished, and cities burned. It was also a time of heroism and friendship as individual Bharatis did their best to care for family and friends, as Bharat's friends provided invaluable assistance, and even perceived enemies reached out a helping hand.

"By the time the disease was contained in early nineteen thirty-three, an estimated two hundred eighty-three thousand Bharatis had perished from its effects, with another five hundred seventy-six thousand permanently scarred from their survival. Over a million internal refugees had been created.

"Lost in the larger picture for a decade was the fate of a small town known as Baldia. Located north of the Mouths of the Ganges, Baldia had previously been just another unremarkable agricultural community - until El Derretir arrived here. Soon, Baldia had been destroyed, and most of its residents were dead.

"Over the coming months, this commission will hear from two hundred ninety-seven witnesses. We will establish a timeline of the El Derretir outbreak in Bharat, and in more definite detail as regards Baldia. We will examine in detail what happened at Baldia. We will consider what actions may be required to address future epidemics and the appropriate response of authorities to extreme situations such as that reported in Baldia. Our findings will form the basis for government action and, if deemed appropriate, criminal proceedings."

The Commission's other panel members then introduced themselves, following which a technical officer ran through procedural issues and so-called "Housekeeping" matters. The actual first witness is expected to be called tomorrow.

Notably present at the Committee was Samraji Prea and her daughter, Princess Asha. The Samraji, who lost her husband and her daughter Urmila to the disease, was badly scarred by her own survival and has been a force in combating discrimination against other scarred survivors in the decade since the disease struck. She is expected to testify at a later date.

Friday, June 29th 2012, 3:09pm

5 June 1942

"Admiral? The Minister will see you now", the secretary said.

Admiral Shankar stood, stretched, and reflected that his predecessors had likely not spent much time reading magazines in the outer office of the Minister of Defence. "Thank you", he said, showing himself to the door.

The Minister was parked behind his desk, and remained there as Shankar walked in. "Good morning, Admiral. Sorry about the delay - something else came up."

"Of course", Shankar agreed.

"So, have a seat and tell me what's on your mind."

Shankar picked up a high-backed teak chair and swung it over towards the desk, placing it gently between two velvet-covered settees more commonly used by the Minister's guests.

"You don't like my chairs?", the Minister remarked.

"I acquired a back injury in the Andaman Crisis", the Admiral replied. "Where possible, I prefer rigid seats."

"Sorry to hear that. So...?"

Shankar said, "About that briefing note I provided to you in April..."

"Yes, it was very interesting", the Minister said. "Thank you for that."

"You're welcome. I noticed that the note came back unsigned, Minister, so was wanting to know what your final decision was. My staff hadn't been able to confirm this with your staff."

The Minister shrugged. "You're the expert. Do what you think is most appropriate."

Shankar digested that for a moment. "The Government has no preference?", he inquired carefully.

The Minister shook his head. "So long as it is consistent with our legal and international obligations, no."

"I see", Shankar mused. "Did you note the references to overall funding and warship growth?"

"I did", the Minister agreed. He leaned forward. "Admiral, I appreciate that the navy feels it needs more resources to keep pace with the world, but that just is not going to happen under the current government."

"With all due respect, Minister, the navy's capital budget remains unchanged relative to 1921. Meanwhile, it has more mature ships that require upkeep, and individual unit sizes are inexorably rising. The navy can not afford to maintain its current force levels - let alone attempt to compete with regional rivals like the Dutch or British."

The Minister shrugged. "The Samraja has an ambition, to make this nation an economic powerhouse on par with Britain, Germany, and others. There are, after all, half a billion people here, waiting to be utilized effectively, and they need something other than battleships in order for that to happen. There's the pipeline network coming out of Baluchistan, and the integration of East Pakistan into the economy. That area's woefully underdeveloped, you know - the British had hardly begun to tap its agricultural potential. There's the national transportation strategy - which will be mostly railways given how many people can not afford or do not require an automobile. And there's the whole matter of increasing electrical output, which means a whole lot more coal powerplants and hydroelectic dams."

Shankar sighed. "Minister, that's hardly a new thing. Tens of millions have moved to the cities and taken factory jobs in the last twenty years. The economy's grown significantly over that same time period, as have government revenues. Allocating more of that revenue to the navy would make effective use of heavy industrial capacity and drive technological development, Minister. There is also the need to protect our trade."

"From who, though?", the Minister replied. "We're allied to the major regional power in South Africa, and we've resolved our differences with the other major power in the UK. Abandonment of the anti-colonial policies make conflict with other European powers unlikely. What's left that we can not deal with using our existing fleet?"

"Minister, you're asking me to prepare for the best case rather than the worst case", Shankar observed.

"I'm asking you to work with the resources you have at hand."

"Minister, as I have said, those resources are insufficient", Shankar replied. Grasping at straws, he said, "Look at Germany, as an example of the possible. Their budget was similar to ours during the Versailles years - then they were released, and over night, their budget tripled. Now they have a large, balanced fleet with significant power projection capabilities, with cutting edge technology and a very healthy export business-"

"We aren't Germany", the Minister said, "And we don't need a fleet the size of Germany's. Nor does Germany, for that matter."

"I'm not asking for a fleet that size", the Admiral said. "But a budget increase of forty or fifty percent would be necessary just to keep our existing fleet at six modern, major units."

"And where would I find that increase?"

"Chop the army. We don't need eighty or ninety divisions to guard against China, Burma, and the 'Stans."

"We are chopping the army", the Minister said. "Yours isn't the only arm of the service to feel financial pain, you know."

"Chop it more, then", Shankar said.

The look on the Minister's face was not encouraging. "I will raise it as an option at the next meeting with the Prime Minister. But don't get your hopes up."

Friday, June 29th 2012, 3:51pm

An interesting exposition of opposing points of view. That of the admiral is understandable, but the international community might find the minister's words more interesting. One does have to wonder though if the military - who in the past appeared to be in the cat-bird seat - will accept the reductions and limitations forced upon them.

Nice post! :)

Friday, June 29th 2012, 4:09pm

Thanks.

Strangely enough, I suspect the military could stage a coup and I'd have to write anotther post about the army and air force grabbing all the additional revenue. Such are WW econnomics...

Friday, June 29th 2012, 4:16pm

Quoted

Strangely enough, I suspect the military could stage a coup and I'd have to write anotther post about the army and air force grabbing all the additional revenue. Such are WW econnomics...

That is a thought that will come to several minds; and it may well drive the plans of others. And who knows, you might *want* to write such a post. Keeps the game interesting.

Friday, June 29th 2012, 4:43pm

Nah. Bharat's been the world's problem child long enough. Somebody else can carry the load for a while.

Friday, June 29th 2012, 8:52pm

Quoted

Nah. Bharat's been the world's problem child long enough. Somebody else can carry the load for a while.

Such as?

Friday, June 29th 2012, 8:55pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc
Such as?

*Grabs a list of all the player countries.*

*Uses a random number generator.*

Uh... Peru. (I swear I didn't make that up.) My second roll gave me the South African Empire as the World's Problem Child.