You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 1:17am

Peru's Apurimac/Churu/Cat class DDs

Okay, follow along with me.

The Apurimac class ships were laid down as Cat class destroyers by South Africa. They were laid down in 1917 and rebuilt in 1926 at 50%.

India acquired these ships in 1931.

Three survivors - Churu, Bareilly, and Rae Bareli - were sold to Peru in 1937. As part of the sale, they were "refitted", at about 17.5% of their cost.

Now, here's where I get confused.

-The ships may have been re-engined in 1925 by Hoo/SAE...but the engine year is 1932. The Indian refit in 1937 was not expensive enough to re-do the engines.

-Hoo's original design has no protection. The sim in the Peruvian encyclopedia has a belt. I doubt Hoo stuck a belt in. The Indian refit in 1937 wasn't expensive enough to do it.

So my conclusion, here, is that the entry in the Peruvian encyclopedia is utterly nonsensical. Unless y'all know something I don't, I'm going to revise the entry and duplicate the sim from the Indian encyclopedia.

That okay?

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 1:44am

RE: Peru's Apurimac/Churu/Cat class DDs

Quoted

Originally posted by The Rock Doctor
Three survivors - Churu, Bareilly, and Rae Bareli - were sold to Peru in 1937. As part of the sale, they were "refitted", at about 17.5% of their cost.

No beans there. In the Indian Q2/37 sim report, the ships received 270t in their rebuild, which is 16.8%. Perhaps India extorted some spare tonnage out of the Peruvians. In any case, it's still over the 15% mark for a Level 3 refit which allows the retrofitting of an armoured belt, so that shouldn't be removed. The belt was definitely stuck into the design by Howard (who bid on the design and did the Springsharp). The DP guns on the Apurimacs were replaced in the same refit, per Howard's specifications. So replacing the sim with the specs from the Indian encyclopedia will just replace a suspicious sim with a flat-out wrong sim.

I've no idea about the engines - I didn't dig back that far.