You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 1:57am

Navies of South & Central America

Just for fun I did a quick graph of what the S&CA countries have. Note Brazil and Chile used Q3 data, the others used Q4. Also I considered the Oyamas as Capital Ships due to their size.

. . . . . . . . . . . .Mex . . . Col . . . .Per
Capital Ships:. . . . .0+1. . .0. . . . . 1+2
Aircraft Carriers:. . .1. . . . .0. . . . . 0
Heavy Cruisers: . . .0. . . . .0. . . . . 1
Light Cruisers: . . . 7+1. . . 2+1. . . 4
Coastal BBs:. . . . . 1. . . . .0. . . . . 1
Destroyers: . . . . 16+6. . .13. . . . .4+3
Gunboats: . . . . . .2+1. . . 2. . . . . 0
Submarines: . . . . 4+1. . . 0. . . . . 2+2
Patrol Boats: . . . 11. . . . .0. . . . . 0
Frigates: . . . . . . 13. . . .10+5. . . 0

. . . . . . . . . . . .Arg . . . Bra . . . .Chi
Capital Ships:. . . . 4. . . . .4. . . . . 5+1
Aircraft Carriers:. . 0. . . . .0. . . . . 1
Heavy Cruisers: . . 3+1. . . 0. . . . . 3
Light Cruisers: . . 10+2. . . 5. . . . . 9+1
Coastal BBs:. . . . . 0. . . . .0. . . . . 3
Destroyers: . . . . 24+3. . .14. . . .18+5
Submarines: . . . . .4. . . . .9. . . . . 8

Some things stand out. Only Mexico and Chile have Aircraft Carriers. Mexico has one of the largest Light Cruiser forces in the are, only Argentina has more (PCs where also counted in Chile) Mexico also has a considerable advantage in submarines and destroyers.

Thoughts?

Monday, February 12th 2007, 2:30am

I need more light stuff...but I knew that. I take it you listed the Swiftsures as Coastal Battleships.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 4:19am

Columbia realizes its falling behind in all area's.

Unlike Peru which has started from the top down, Colombia with the help of Atlantis is starting from the bottom up. The Riohacha class are growing increasingly obsolete, which has led to the purchase of 8 Atlantean Admiralty class DD's, themselves starting to age. Their addition is to boost numbers untill newer designs allow them to be updated somewhat. In addition Colombia expects to build 4 Atlantean J class DD's, two of which have already begun construction.

The gunboat Chercinto is the only ship of its kind to survive the restructuring of the fleet post WW1. The first stage to rebuild its gunboat fleet is the purchase of the 611 type Motor Gunboat design from Argentina, modified to Atlantean specs for logistical reasons. Once these smaller vessels are completed larger coastal versions will be persued.

In reguards to cruisers Colombia currently only posesses 2 (not 3) light cruisers, the former Atlantean Undaunted class, again a short term boost for the fleet that greatly improves the Colombian cruiser force, replacing the slower Cali class armored cruisers with much faster vessels. The plan is to add a pair of newer light cruisers to the fleet and possibly a pair of large light cruisers.

The Carteginia class Predreads also need replacements, likely small battlecruisers to rival those of Colombia's neighbours.

As for coastal forces the 20x Atlantean MTB-1 type and 20x Atlantean MTB-82 type vessels provide a potent MTB force. The recent addition of 20 CMB's has also improved this force.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 4:21am

My response to the destroyer problem will surprise a lot of nations. Wait till Q2 1934 for the news.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 4:34am

Unless its more BB's I don't think it will be too surprising.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 5:10am

...if it isn't BBs, It'll be suprising. :B

Monday, February 12th 2007, 1:09pm

Edited list with current Colombian projects in mind, also the Carteginia class are rated as Predreads currently but would technically be coastal defence BB's. The Riohacha class are rated as TB's but could be counted as second rate DD's. I've also counted the 611 class gunboats in Colombian service.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Mex . . . Col . . . .Per
Capital Ships:. . . . . .0+1. . .0. . . . . 1+2
Aircraft Carriers:. . . .1. . . . .0. . . . . 0
Heavy Cruisers: . . . .0. . . . .0. . . . . 1
Light Cruisers: . . . . 7+1. . . 2. . . . . 4
Coastal BBs:. . . . . 1. . . . .2. . . . . 1
Destroyers: . . . . . 16+6. . .13+4. . . 4+3
Gunboats: . . . . . . .2+1. . . 1. . . . . 0
Submarines: . . . . . 4+1. . . 0. . . . . 2+2
Patrol Boats: . . . . 11. . . . .0. . . . . 0+6
Frigates: . . . . . . . 13. . . . .0. . . . . 0
River Gunboats: . . .6. . . . .10+20. . 5
River patrol boats: .12. . . . .0. . . . . 0
MTB/ML: . . . . . . . 42. . . . 65. . . . .0

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .Arg . . . Bra . . . .Chi
Capital Ships:. . . . 4. . . . .4. . . . . 5+1
Aircraft Carriers:. . 0. . . . .0. . . . . 1
Heavy Cruisers: . . 3+1. . . 0. . . . . 3
Light Cruisers: . . 10+2. . . 5. . . . . 9+1
Coastal BBs:. . . . . 0. . . . .0. . . . . 3
Destroyers: . . . . 24+3. . .14. . . . .18+5
Submarines: . . . . .4. . . . .9. . . . . 8
Gunboats: . . . . . . .5. . . . 5. . . . . 0
Patrol Boats: . . . . 6. . . . 0. . . . .33+12 (subchasers included)
River gunboats: . . .18. . . . 0. . . . . .0
MTB/ML: . . . . . . . 18. . . . 0. . . . . .0

It would seem Colombia is on its way to aquiring the largest small craft fleet of the South and Central American country's, with Mexico a very close second, followed by Argentina and Chile. Colombia has the largest MTB/ML fleet while Chile has the largest Subchaser fleet.

Argentina has the most river gunboats with Colombia expected to be second by mid/late 1934. Clombia will soon be tied with Brazil for DD numbers, not including the Colombian Riohacha class TB's.

Monday, February 12th 2007, 3:54pm

Not quite caught up with BRZ DDs

I made a mistake with Brazil's destroyer numbers in the reports, it should be 22 as of Q3/33 (although only 10 are modern).

Brazil has four major needs at the moment, from "desperate" from "need it sooner not later:

1. Light cruisers. The old PC is on the auction block, while the remaining four are the two ex-US turn-of-the-century vessels and the two Bahia class ships. While they were rebuilt in 1920 and 1926 respectivly they are of virtually no use in modern war; once the new CLs come on line the first two are likely to be scrapped (...or at least sold...) and the latter two sent to Amazonian duty.

Which leads us to...

2. River gunboats. Patrolling the Amazon against smugglers, gureillas, restless natives and just maybe foreign invaders is an important duty and one currently neglected. (And this time it won't take 40 years to build them!)

3. Aircraft carriers. More of a "pride" item at the moment but if the Empire is to give its navy the best possible chance in a conflict an organic aerial scouting capability is a must, and of course the capability of denying the same to the enemy.

4. Heavy cruisers. Something will be needed to fill the gap between the new CLs and the Rio class battlecruisers.

Of course, there's always the possibility that (3) and (4) could be combined... :evil:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Swamphen" (Feb 12th 2007, 3:54pm)

Monday, February 12th 2007, 5:13pm

I think the Pibber and the CCB might work quite well on the Amazon... how about a Zippo? :)