You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 13th 2005, 10:49pm

Minutes of the Silver Crescent, October 1927

Note: anything within quotations is in-character. Anythin outside quotations is descriptive. If folks wish to discuss things out-of-character, I'd recommend starting a parallel thread to that effect

23 October 1927

The meeting room is ancient, older than many of the nations represented around the U-shaped table that runs its length. Curtains are drawn back on windows to reveal the Bosporous, teeming with vessels large and small. The sun is hot and bright, and already the room is starting to feel just a bit uncomfortable to those accustomed to more northerly climates.

At 0845, some fifteen minutes after the meeting was to commence, a senior Turkish official approaches the Indian delegation. After a short, whispered discussion, the Raj rises, rapping his water glass with a small golden rod. The ringing fades away and the Raj speaks:

"If I may have your attention? Thank you. I apologize for the late start to our meeting - I've just been informed that our host is having some transportation issues and is still en route. In the interim, the Turkish delegation and myself have determined that we should proceed, with myself as chair until our host does arrive.

"First, allow me to introduce myself for the benefit of those I've not had the pleasure of meeting. I am the Raj of India, with a paragraph's worth of titles - but I recommend just calling me "Rajiv". Joining me today is my foreign minister, Mr. Jal Kadharni, who many of you will also be familiar with.

"While I myself am Hindi, Mr. Kadharni is Muslim, and our partnership is representative of religious relations within India. Our history is one of Muslim conquerors and Hindi subjects, and later of Hindi rulers with Hindi and Muslim subjects. We have managed, not without some difficulty, to ensure that our religions can co-exist and complement each other in all aspects of life. I hope that this kind of cooperation can be built elsewhere in the world, and through venues such as this, I hope to see it happen.

"So I want to thank you all for joining us today. Simply being in this room constitutes a significant political risk for some of you, just as being absent from it constitutes a different kind of political risk for some of our compatriots. That you have chosen to come here today tells me that you have an awareness of the issues facing the Muslim world and a willingness to discuss them. For that, I applaud you. I hope that we can have a fruitful meeting that can lead to positive actions over the coming months.

"Now, I want to remind you all that this is a discussion. The Silver Crescent has no powers to bind any of us to a decision or course of action beyond whatever each of us commits to. Please feel free to speak your mind.

"Our agenda for today is:

"1. National borders: Are adjustments needed?

"2. Security: Are there flashpoints out there that we can resolve?

"3. Self-determination: A frank discussion of our own intentions.

"4. Local economic and work-force development

"5. Access to Holy sites

"6. Update on Mandates

"7. Other business

"On that last point, we can either add new business to the agenda now, or you can add it when we get to Item Seven. Is there any other business to add?"

The Raj surveys the room...

Wednesday, June 15th 2005, 8:45am

As he listened to the Raj, the Turkish Foreign Minister Oghuz Osman Suleiman was growing increasingly nervous.

"Hes never this late!", he thought "...and the Raj of India is bearing the burden of running these affairs single handedly!"

As the Raj began listing the 7 points of discussion, Suleiman switched his gaze from the main door to the meeting room, to the various foriegn delegates and to the door once again. As he scaned the room he noticed the Atlantian and Armenian delegates were seated beside each other. "That can't be good..." he thought.

He never understood the facination the Atlantians had with gaining independance for the Armenian people. The fact that Atlantis was present with several officials from Maritainia, Western Sahara and Autochthon completely escaped him. "They are only here to safe guard the Armenians..."

As he engrossed himself in his thoughts one of his associates quietly entered the room and whispered something into his ear. "Finnally!" he thought, nearly uttering the words aloud as the Raj finnished his points.
Suleiman then with a new found confidence politely stood up.

"Your excellency, forgive my interruption but I've just recieved word that our President has arrived."

"Excellent!" the Raj cheerfully replied. "Now we can get on to business." As Suleiman took his seat the door to the main hall opened and a tall distinguished man surrounded by associates entered the room. Suleiman quickly rose to his feet to greet his President, Mustafa Kemal Pasha.

"Forgive my tardyness Rajiv..." exclaimed the President. "Trains in Turkey these days are not as reliable as they used to be, please continue, my associates will inform me of the details I have missed."

As Mustafa Kemal took his seat the Raj once again scanned the room. "Well then I suppose we should get started on the first oder of business, national borders."

The Raj seemed to turn his attention to the delegates from his own region in anticipation....

Thursday, June 16th 2005, 7:54am

As the Raj waited patiently the Atlantian Foreign minister Maren Xanthus fas whispering frantically to the Armenian Interem Prime minister Avetis Aharonian. After finnishing their short conversation Xanthus stood up to clear his throat....

"If I may Rajiv we may have a matter that possibly constitutes an eighth point allthough it pertains to borders as well"

The Raj turned to glance at the Atlantian minister.

"Very well Mr. Xanthus please proceed." he replied.

Xanthus continued...."As I'm sure all of us are aware, after the war Atlantis gained the Mandates of Byzantium and Armenia. These area's have long been a point of contention between Turkey and her neighbours and as a result of Atlantian intervention to some extent tensions have eased slightly. Our plans are to hold a plebisite in Byzantium to determine its future, however we are all too aware of the complications the Greeks are facing in a still undetermined outcome to the Anatolian Plebisite.

We are also aware of the grave concerns of Turkey over this Plebistite. We personally feel that it is being held far too soon after its occupation by the Greeks which has led to some resentment in Turkey who understandably feels that it is being robbed of its land, but this is unfortunately out of our hands"

Xanthus glanced in the dirrection of the Turkish delegates and noticed Ataturk was looking his dirrection with intence interest...

"We would like to avoid this situation with Byzantium. Atlantis has long had a history with Muslims, we began with the crusades to repulse the Muslim invaders but over time we learned to accept them into our culture. In Mauritania and Autochthon we made the transition from crusader to gracious host and gradually included the Muslim nations into our own constitution. They now enjoy a significant level of autonomy and yet still remain part of the Atlantian empire purely by choice. We feel that this level of co-operation is possible with Turkey and its former territory's."

Xanthus quickly glanced at the Armenian prime minister...

"Unfortunately in the case of Amenia tragic events have prevented this type of co-operation from taking place. The Armenians have chosen independance, perhaps this is the best course of action. Over time perhaps Armenia and Turkey can come togeather to form a lasting partnership. In reguards to Byzantium however we feel there is an opertunity to give them a level of autonomy without severing them from Turkey. The Honourable Mr. Ataturk has strived to separate church from state in Turkey, something our Atlantian fore fathers achieved with great results. We are aware that the fate of Turkey rests only in the hands of Turks and for this reason we are willing to delay a plebisite in order to further engage the turks in dialog that would ultimately see Byzantium gain autonomy yet still remain a part of Turkey.

"In addition to this matter we would also like to prepose the creation of a new state in the middle east, one that would involve considerable diolog with Turkey, our ally France, Britain and Persia. We have long noticed the plight of the Kurds. They have a distinctive culture that has long been repressed by their surrounding neighbours. With this meeting comes the opertunity to re-create the state of Kurdistan. We feel that this is not an unreasonable request because the Kurdish area possesses no significant resources other than the abundance of human resolve."

Xanthus now knew he had the full attention of the room...

"We understand the apprehensiveness this issue may pose for Turkey and Persia, but given our own experiences in the past with Mauritainia and Autochthon we have no doubt that these nations can work togeather to create a partnership with the Kurds that would allow them to maintain their own individual culture and yet remain part of either nation in some form."

Xanthus could sence the urgency shown by some of the delegates to join the discussion.

"I now leave the floor open for the next delegate...."
The Atlantian Foreign minister took his seat as the room was buzzing with conversation, he wondered if he had entered the meeting with high hopes....

Thursday, June 16th 2005, 7:19pm

The Raj was not entirely surprised at the Atlantean minister's proposals; his own people had caught wind of the basics through informal channels.

"Very well, then", he said, noting the buzz of conversation. "Two issues are on the table.

"One, the fate of Byzantium - on which we should certainly benefit from hearing Turkish thoughts, as well as that her neighbours. It's unfortunate that our Greek counterparts aren't here to comment, but I imagine they will contribute to the dialogue in due course.

"The other item is the proposed creation of Kurdistan from French-administered Syria, British-administered Iraq, and Turkey. I would invite representatives of France, Britain, Turkey, and Persia to address the proposal?"

Friday, June 17th 2005, 3:25pm

Not one of the other members around the table had indicated an interest in actually speaking; most remained huddled with their advisors. Fair enough, the Raj supposed, but there wasn't much point in having a meeting if there wasn't going to be any discussion.

"Nobody wishes to address the Atlantian proposals?", he asked. "I see my own foreign minister nodding - very well, then. Jal?"

The Indian foreign minister stood gracefully, and said, "Mr. Xanthus, an observation on Kurdistan. You noted that the area in question has no resources but for the resolve of the people itself. That being the case, how are the Kurds to develop and sustain a nation? One might well argue that it would do them no favors to be cast off on their own."

He sat down once more and the Raj asked, "Maren, would you care to respond? If not, we'll move on to the next item on the agenda."

Friday, June 17th 2005, 3:33pm

Generale Juan Greco, the representative of the Philippines, clears his throat. "If I may interject, sirs, I understand that the British have found some indications of extensive oil deposits in Mesopotamia. If these extend into the proposed Kurdistan, perhaps these could provide the basis of an economy?"

Friday, June 17th 2005, 8:06pm

Maren Xanthus stood up in reply..

"Yes Generale Greco, we also beleive that these deposits may extend into the Kurdish regions, the Kurds would only need to locate these possible deposits, with foreign assistance of course.

In responce to your inquiry Jal, we believe there are enough resources to sustain a Kurdish state, not enough to produce a flurishing economy mind you, at least in the short term, but enough to sustain them.

Foreign investment may help to boost their economy, and I suspect other nations economy's as well, but this will all fall under topic #4 on the discussion list."

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 1:02am

With his own minister's curiousity addressed, the Raj took another look about the room. Many of the faces looking back at him were inscrutable, but the Persian foreign minister gave him a subtle shake of the head.

"Very well, it would appear that some consultation at home is required by many of those potentially affected by the Atlantean proposals. I'm sure these matters will continue to be discussed in other venues", the Raj said.

"Shall we move on, then? The second point on the agenda is security. Between the ongoing piracy concerns, independence movements, diplomatic rows, and other matters, I would imagine this could take us through till the lunch hour. Who would like to begin?"

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 2:30am

Generale Greco adjusted his notes, then stood and addressed the room.

"As you probably know, the Philippines, along with the British, were involved in a small conflict a few years ago in Mindanao and northeastern Borneo. This conflict, with the group known as the 'Sons of Allah for the Liberation of the Sulu Archipelago', or SALSA, provided some valuable lessons, which I would like to discuss.

"First, I would like to point out that there may well be some groups with legitimate greivances, which are forced to resort to force of arms to eliminate their oppressors. However there are also groups which are led by madmen who are out for personal glory. SALSA was one of the latter.

"The former Sultan of Sulu, whom I shall not dignify by naming, apparently decided to set up his own little fiefdom in the southern part of our country, and attempted to take advantage of an old, perhaps apocryphical claim by his family on the Sabah region in British Borneo to acheive it. He acquired a seemingly strong following by a combination of false religious fervour and threats, and then attempted to stage his little rebellion.

"Fortunatly, although this conflict cost us three ships in the initial, admittedly spectacular anarchist attack, was quickly stamped out by a rapid, well-applied application of force.

"This is the point I wish to make. A government cannot afford to treat these kind of situations in a lackadasical manner. We went after the forces of this rascal in a prompt and vigorous manner, and after he was eliminated, the 'revolution' fell apart, and discussions with former SALSA members have revealed that they actually hadn't had any greviances against the government until the late Sultan told them they did!

"So basically, if any of those countries represented here find themselves confronted by an insurrection, I would suggest taking the following steps:

"Respond promptly. Find out why these people have taken to arms. If there's a legitimate problem - fix it!

"If there isn't, and they are simply follwing the lead of some rabble-rouser, however, it is important to eliminate him as quickly as possible. It's true; cut off the head and the snake will die. Do this in a manner sure to shock and overawe the rebels. Naval gunfire proved decisive in squashing SALSA - the battleship sent by our fine Indian friends proved most terrifying, we have heard, and His Majesty's Ship Tiger has been credited with killing the Sultan in a bombardment on what proved to be his island hideout.

"At the same time, in these cases where you might say 'the sheep have been led astray' - offer generous terms to those who have been misled. Don't punish them too severly for the sins of their leaders. Once the SALSA Rebellion was over, we offered clemency to those who would turn in their arms - and not only did we get a nice haul, the former rebels enlisted in the Army en masse - enough men to form two divisions, in fact!"

Señor Greco took a sip of water from the glass next to his seat, then continued.

"Another matter I would like to comment on, and which concerns me greatly, is that it would appear that there was, perhaps, some outside meddling in the SALSA affair. Nothing obvious, mind you, but while most of the gear recovered from the irregular forces was old Iberian kit, obviously having been hidden away for years, some was suspiscisouly new...not guns or ammo, but personal gear, canteens, knives, that sort of thing.

"We have no indications on who provided this equipment, however the issue is there, and it would be wise to consider the implications of this should violence break out somewhere else.

He paused, then continued "I believe that's just about exhausted my notes on this topic, so I yield the floor to the next speaker. Thank you."

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 3:32am

Maren Xanthus stood up in reply..

In reguards to the Philippino's statements about anarchist elements we can generally agree to the tactics used to defeat these elements.

Atlantis has recently suffered from a rash of anarchist attacks in Venezuela and like the Philippino's we in the past have discovered foriegn equipment in the hands of those captured or killed, particularilly in French Guiana.

This is a very contentious issue to deal with, for it may very well be possible that these items have indeed been obtained dirrectly from thier source of origin, but the ease at which these items can be obtained from third party's is particularilly alarming, in some instances it has been stolen. Anarchists will use even the most crude of weapons, in some cases its very easy to link their actions to a legitimate nation due to a very large window of opertunity. Muskets have even been discovered in the hands of desparate finatics.

One must be very carefull of accusing nations of supporting anarchist elements. Sufficient proof has to be obtained from multipull sources. One has to "follow the money trail" as they say in America.

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 3:56am

Generale Greco nods. "Just to be clear, we aren't making any accusations - there's obviously a black market for all sorts of military material, and attempting to shut it off merly makes it more profitable for those who remain."

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 9:18pm

The Danish Minister of Cultural Affairs, August Frederik Hackenburg, turned to his right and passed a note to his aide, who passed it forward to the Saimese Foreign Minister, Chavalit Silpa-archa. Chavalit glanced at the note, looked back over his left shoulder and nodded to his Danish colleague. August rose to his feet and spoke.......

"Rajiv, may I address the gathered honoured delegates?"

The Raj looked towards the area of the table where the delegates from Danish Somalia, Guinea-Bissau and Siam were seated, to see the Danish Minister standing behind their chairs, perplexed he replied "Minister Hackenburg, the floor is yours."

"Thank You, Rajiv."
"Honoured Delegates, I find that I must reply to the comments of Generale Greco of the Philippines. After the Andaman Sea Incident, when too many Danish, Indian and Siamese sailors died, we learned an important lesson."

"That lesson is that it is VITAL to have proper communications between nations. If we could have had a better communications protocol for dealing with nations who have a greivence with our Protectorates or ourselves, we may have prevented the disaster that befell us."

"We also were arrogant. We believed that we were 'The Good Guys', and that we had no internal problems. How wrong we were!. We could not believe that one of our senior ministers would peddle arms to a dissadent faction based in a Friendly nation, and DESTROY hundreds of years of courteous relations"

"So, my friends, I give you two pieces of advice. Firstly, talk to each other, no matter how grim the situation may be. And talk to your own people. If they are in revolt, there is usually a reason. Secondly, make sure that your own houses are in order, before you adamantly proclaim your righteousness"

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 10:13pm

The Raj's own foreign minister waved a finger as Minister Hackenburg was seating himself. The Raj nodded.

"Minister Hackenburg", Jal Kadharni began, "You make some excellent points. The Andaman Sea Incident was indeed a tragic event, but it could have been much, much worse. That it did not is due to the efforts of our ambassadors, who continued to exchange information even after the bloody battle at Ko Racha Yai.

"Now, it might be beneficial to consider how we can all best continue communicating on security issues - because frankly, I'm not certain the League of Nations is the right venue. Given that most such issues seem to be taking place in the Pacific of late, perhaps a regular meeting in a neutral Asian location where all members have diplomatic representation?"

Mr. Kadharni sat, and the Raj said, "Thank you, Jal. Allow me to act as a delegate for a moment, and not a chairman.

"Minister Hackenburg's other point is not to be ignored. The Andaman Sea Incident arose out of an internal Indian problem related to the administration of civil services. My bureaucracy and I were slow to respond, and we paid the price for it. So - a word of caution to all of you: heed Minister Hackenburg's words and ensure that your house is order - lest it lead to conflict later on.

"So - the floor is open again."

Sunday, June 19th 2005, 11:42pm

August returned to his feet.
"I belive that you are quite right, Mr. Kadharni. I believe that we need to have constant comunication, something that seems difficult if not impossible within the auspices of a body such as the League, where we only have occasional conferences. Maybe it is time for a constant body of ambassadors, based in one place, to allow instant contact between ALL nations. Possibly something that we might ponder between sessions here? I would be more than willing to discuss my thoughts with interested parties."

August returned to his seat, with his colleague from Siam nodding thoughtfully.

Monday, June 20th 2005, 12:38am

Maren Xanthus stood up...

"Excuse me Mr. Hackenburg, just to clairify, are you suggesting the creation of a central world body of some kind where League of Nations, Silver Cresent and other ambassadors can all meet to openly discuss important issues?"

Monday, June 20th 2005, 1:36am

August rose once more, "Mr Xanthus, you are correct. A world organisation, with representatives of ALL nations, independant or colonies, to help prevent the errors of the past."

Tuesday, June 21st 2005, 3:48pm

The Raj was pleasantly surprised for a moment...but then chided himself. The Danes always had been an enlightened people so far as Asia was concerned, they'd just had the misfortune to elect some fools for a short but disasterous time. A proposal such as this from a man with the character of Minister Hackenburg really should not have surprised him.

Perhaps he was just getting jaded in his old age.

"Gentlemen", he said, "This sounds like an idea with momentum, something which could consume the remainder of our time if we allowed it. Minister Hackenburg, would you be willing to follow up on this item following the meeting? My own people will be pleased to assist yours. Then we can see if there are other security matters to discuss - we still have not heard from some of our counterparts around the table, and I have to assume they have something on their minds."

Tuesday, June 21st 2005, 7:39pm

"Rajiv, it would be my pleasure!" said August, nodding to the Raj.

Tuesday, June 21st 2005, 7:49pm

"Marvellous. Thank you, Minister Hackenburg", the Raj replied. "So, are there other security issues to address? Or shall we move onto the next agenda item, self-determination?"

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 11:52pm

Deafening silence greeted the Raj. He glanced at the clock nearest to him and decided that there was time to deal with the next item before the next set of prayers.

"Very well then, self determination. Probably a very contentious topic, and likely the reason that some of our colleagues are absent today", the Raj noted. "I'd like to preface this discussion -", if there is one , he thought, " - by noting that we are not talking about mandates here. Mandates are not claimed by their administering nation, and that nation itself is subject to the rulings of the League of Nations. We can deal with mandates at the appropriate place in the agenda. Instead, we should be focusing our attention on colonies of other nations."

Seeing the stony looks on the many of the faces around the table, he made a quick decision. "I think I'll take the opportunity to start this time around.

"There have been some very encouraging developments in the past year or so. In May, Saudi Arabia became independent of Great Britain as a result of the Treaty of Jedda."

[OOC: As historical, unless Gravina has plans to the contrary]

"Elsewhere, the French government has made a commitment to establishing self-determination for its colonies. This will give regions such as Algeria the opportunity to decide on its future and move forward - whether as a sovereign state or as a full and integrated department within the French Republic", the Raj added, nodding approvingly at the French representative.

"Nonetheless, sore spots remain. My neighbour to the south, Indonesia, is in the thrall of Dutch occupiers who plunder its wealth while depriving the Indonesian peoples of their birthright. Great Britain holds sway over Pakistan. The list is longer.

"Now I can not foresee the current colonial system lasting indefinitely. We saw Arab nationalism rise during the negotiations in Paris in 1919, and we have the examples I have cited already. Those who currently live in servitude will eventually tire of doing so.

"And, eventually, the muslim world will be empowered. My question to you is: will the colonial powers help establish a peaceful, constructive process? Or will they force a destructive and potentially violent divorce?

"I ask for your thoughts on the matter."