You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, November 1st 2004, 11:58pm

Infrastructure rules

I'd like a clarification of the rules: can you replace turrets using a 'partial rebuild', spending just the tonnage of the new armament, or do you need to do a "complete" rebuild?

Also...here's my proposal regarding alterations of ship dimensions:

DRAFT-
Can be changed by Refit, Rebuild or Reconstruction; if Refit or Rebuild, draft+freeboard must equal pre-refit/rebuild measurement

To change, calculate weight added/removed, add/subtract it to/from the normal displacement, then tweak the draught level in Spring* until the correct normal displacement is reached.

BEAM-
Can be changed by Rebuild or Reconstruction using the 'Bulge' feature in SpringSharp 2 only.

LENGTH-
Can be changed by Reconstruction only.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, November 2nd 2004, 10:17am

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen
I'd like a clarification of the rules: can you replace turrets using a 'partial rebuild', spending just the tonnage of the new armament, or do you need to do a "complete" rebuild?

According to section 2.2.3 replacing turrets can be done during a rebuild. A reconstruction is not necessary.

PLEASE NOTE: The CT does NOT allow main gun caliber to be changed on capital units!

Quoted

Also...here's my proposal regarding alterations of ship dimensions:

I´m also not that happy with the wording of the infrastructure rules regarding the change of dimensions but I´ll try to provide some interpretation.

Quoted

DRAFT-
Can be changed by Refit, Rebuild or Reconstruction; if Refit or Rebuild, draft+freeboard must equal pre-refit/rebuild measurement

The rules allow a ship to get heavier, it´s displacement to rise. This means in general its hull lies deeper and deeper the more weight you put on it. So freeboard is reduced while draft is increased. The overall height of a hull remains the same quite obviously.

What is meant by the rules is that you cannot simply change a ships draft by entering a new value in SS. In realitiy this would mean you cut a ship in two along its waterline, add some material to increase draft and then clue it together again.

So during a refit or rebuild a ships draft can be changed if its freeboard is changed accordingly.

Please not that a rebuild allows for a new bow which could still make a higher _average_ freeboard possible. This is a result of having SSv2.01 at hand now while the rules were written regarding original springstyle.

Quoted

BEAM-
Can be changed by Rebuild or Reconstruction using the 'Bulge' feature in SpringSharp 2 only.

Our rules speak of "torpedo defense blisters" which is the same as "bulges". So a rebuild allows to change a ships beam BY MEANS OF ADDING SOMETHING to the original hull - not by cutting the hull in two along its centerline and adding stuff there before putting it together again.

Quoted

LENGTH-
Can be changed by Reconstruction only.

During a rebuild the change of bows is allowed. While this does not necessarily has something to do with length at waterline (which original soringstyle used) it might change length overall now where we have SSv2.01 at hand.

Cutting the hull in two amidship and lengthening it is - as you propose - allowed during reconstruction only.

I have to admit that I´m no longer happy with the reconstruction rule because it says a change of beam or draft (of the original hull - keep that in mind) is not allowed. So some tweaking might be necessary...

However, note that the change of _freeboard_ is allowed during reconstruction or at least it is not forbidden. So a ship could be reconstructed with higher freeboard - and then you can put it lower in the water by increasing draft and decreasing freeboard just as it happens if you add weight to the hull. Not a perfect solution but should do.

So in general everything could be changed during a reconstruction including length, draft and - by adding external blistes - beam.

One might add that changing beam of the original hull - wihtout blisters that is - should also be possible but I have to admit I heard of only one such case so far. Looks like this happend not that often.... and a reconstruction coasts only 75% of a new ship so there has to be some drawback.

Do you agree to the above?

HoOmAn

Tuesday, November 2nd 2004, 1:16pm

Quoted

According to section 2.2.3 replacing turrets can be done during a rebuild. A reconstruction is not necessary.

What I meant was, do I have to spend the 50% of materials/time, or just tonnage/time equal to the weight of the new armament?

The l/b/d makes sense to me. I have one possible project for '27 that could make use of these rules (weight removed, reduced draft/increased freeboard) so I thought I'd ask early. :)

Tuesday, November 2nd 2004, 1:54pm

Quoted

One might add that changing beam of the original hull - wihtout blisters that is - should also be possible but I have to admit I heard of only one such case so far.

The 2 Cavours and Duilios used this method. They were essentially new ships.

Tuesday, November 2nd 2004, 2:17pm

If somebody wants to propose a new version of the refit/rebuild/reconstruction rules, go right ahead. No sense in keeping what we have if it doesn't work for anybody.

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Tuesday, November 2nd 2004, 5:40pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Swamphen

Quoted

What I meant was, do I have to spend the 50% of materials/time, or just tonnage/time equal to the weight of the new armament?

The l/b/d makes sense to me. I have one possible project for '27 that could make use of these rules (weight removed, reduced draft/increased freeboard) so I thought I'd ask early. :)

You´ve to design the ship post-reconstruction/rebuild. Then you calculate how long it would take and how much material would be necessary to build it from scratch. 50% or 75% of that time and material you´ve to spend.