You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 4:10pm

Talons Over Cordoba Report 1938

TALONS OVER CORDOBA REPORT BY HEAVENLY PURSUITS

Attracting over 270,000 visitors during the week of flying the seventh ‘Talons over Cordoba Contest’ has been another big success. Once again this international event is a chance for the best pilots in the world to show off their skills allied with the best fighters available and it is now the world’s foremost fighter exhibition. Air forces from across the world fly and compete to be the best while showing off their latest fighters and comparing them against the best available elsewhere.

The exhibition display area once again attracted many companies eager to make sales. FMA (Fabrica Militar de Aviones) had a huge exhibition shed and were flying the I.Ae6T trainer, the huge four-engined FMA I.Ae 7 airliner made several flypasts during the event and impressively three I-02 prototypes flew the opening display and at least one flew every day of the event, the stand had a static I-02 painted in Atlantean colours and a full-size mock up of the carrier variant. Lieutenant de Aero Roja between events flew several I-02 test flights at the event and on the final day flew a thrilling display in the aircraft. It is rumoured that he reached 660kmh during a recent high-speed trial. IMPA (Compania Industria Metalurgica & Plastica S.A.) brought a Vanquish III bomber and Tucan the T-18B NB-2 private-venture dive-bomber. Grumman was displaying a F4F carrier-fighter, Curtiss showed off their P-40, Boeing had a static B-17E, Douglas an A-20 light bomber, and Vought brought an XF4U. Martin’s stand included a B-26A model. The German exhibitors included Dornier with a Do-215 and a Do-217 model, Focke-Wulf with an Fw-190 and an Fw-205 Condor, BFW with a Bf-109T carrier fighter and Junkers with the Ju-88. From Britain Supermarine were displaying a Spitfire, Hawker brought along a Typhoon and Boulton Paul were advertising their new P.94 export fighter and extensively flying the Irish P.94 between events. Gloster had a Gloster Gunner twin-engined fighter on display. From more local places TNCA and ENAER both had extensive stands and from Atlantis both Spartan and Accrisius brought a dozen aircraft between them. From Japan Mitsubishi, Kanzaki, and Nakajima were all represented. The South African team also brought along a F-6F two-seat fighter trainer for joy rides for the public and potential customers.

The Chilean Navy’s airship Capitan Pratt also called in at Cordoba on the opening day to mark the final destination of its recent month-long tour of the Americas.
As usual the best fighter pilots in the Fuerza Aerea Argentina made a spectacular aerial aerobatic display every day of the contest in their FMA I-01-II Buchon fighters.

All contesting pilots have been assigned numbers in the order of application and nationality has not been a factor in the order given.

No 1 Lieutenant de Aero Roja [Holder of the Argentine Nation to the Valour in Combat Medal (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Valor en Combate) and the Order of the Liberator General San Martin (Orden del Libertador General San Martin) Comendador Grade] is on special leave from his current work with FMA and is flying his personal red and black FMA I-01-II Buchon fighter with a standard 1,300hp Spartan 1300S V-12 inline engine

No 2 Maj. General Agustin Verona [holder of Argentine to the Wounded in Combat Medal (Medalla La Nacion Argentina al Herido en Combate)], commander Aerea Regimenta No 2 at Military Air Base Bahia Blanca with eleven wartime kills, is flying his personal silver-coloured FMA I-01-II Buchon fighter with a standard 1,300hp Spartan 1300S V-12 inline engine

No 3 Group Captain Lionel Mandrake returns again this year flying the eleventh production Supermarine Spitfire Mk II with a 1,100hp Merlin V-12 engine

No 4 Flying Officer T.B “Septic” McGowan is a newcomer flying the twenty-fifth production Hawker Tornado powered by a 1,980hp RR Vulture II 24-cylinder engine

No 5 Capitan Tateo Kato is a newcomer to Talons and is representing Japan flying a standard production Kanzaki Ki-34 Fukurou powered by a 1,200hp KHI-103 V-12 in a polished natural-metal finish

No 6 First Lieutenant Mitsugu Sawada and gunner Second Lieutenant Toyoki Eto are also representing Japan this year in the brand-new and advanced Nakajima Ki-42 twin-engined fighter powered by two 1,400hp KHI-107 V-12 engines with annular radiators

No 7 Wing Commander Michel Endress, bearer of the Knight’s Cross to the Military Order of the Empires Greatest Defenders, bearer of the Nkwe ya Gauta (Golden Leopard - South Africa's highest military decoration) and four time recipient of the Combat Medal; the leading South African fighter pilot, who achieved 49 confirmed victories in air combat and destroyed innumerable targets on the ground is representing the SAE again this year (he was last year’s champion). He is flying his new personal JFM F-6E, “Lady Valentine” named after his wife

No 8 Wing Commander Jeoren van Veen, Companion of the Distinguished Service Order, bearer of the Nkwe ya Selefera (Silver Leopard), bearer of the iPhrothiya yeBhronzi (Bronze Protea) and two time recipient of the Combat Medal who achieved 27 confirmed victories in combat is also representing the SAE again this year flying a 1937 production Walter F-8C fighter named “Lucky Shot II”

No 9 Captain Andreas Schrieber returns to this year to represent Denmark and is flying a production DAF(s)4v2 Falcon II twin-boom fighter with a production 1,400hp Hispano-Suiza V-12 engine

No 10 Lt. Bo Qvist also returns for Denmark and is also flying a production DAF(s)4v2 Falcon II

No 11 Capt. José María Bravo Fernandez-Hermosa, senior instructor at the Ejército del Aire's Advanced Air Combat School returns this year flying a standard yellow He-112I

No 12 Capt. Fernando Sanchez-Arjona Courtoy, senior test pilot at the Ejército del Aire's flight testing squadron also returns this year for Iberia flying a red He-112I

No 13 Colonel Fabris "Jester" Lavidicus, the commander of the Atlantean Air Force adversary training squadron, returns yet again to represent Atlantis and this year he is flying a production Spartan SP-35 "Viper" in an all-over black scheme

No 14 Lt. Colonel Tyrus "Bulldog" Hadrian returns to Talon’s flying a production Spartan SP-35 "Viper" in an all-red scheme with a rampant bull on the fuselage sides, having been the lead Sp-35 test pilot he is well acquainted with the type

No 15 Yarbay (Lieutenant Colonel, squadron commander) Sabiha Gökçen returns to Talons yet again representing Turkey and is flying a Heinkel He 112 fighter

No 16 Vecihi Hürku is aslo representing Turkey flying a standard He-112

No 17 Captain Kenan Sunay representing the Republic of Byzantium is flying a production Spartan SP-20A2 "Corsair II"

No 18 Flight Lieutenant Nurettin Tural representing the Republic of Byzantium again this year and is flying the same red and gold twin-engined Spartan SP-34 “Cutlass” heavy fighter-bomber as last year

No 19 Major Henry Pillichody, representing Colombia again this year, is flying a white and blue Ripon-Bloch RB.132 "Renegade II" fighter

No 20 Teniente Delfín Torres Duran is flying another production Ripon-Bloch RB.132 "Renegade II" fighter this year painted red

No 21 Flugkapitan Werner Molders returns this year flying a gloss-white Heinkel He-100 B-2 powered by a DB-601EM V-12 engine

No 22 Fluglieutenant Adolph Galland returns to Talons this year representing Germany and is flying a gloss-black Heinkel He-100 B-2 identical to Molders’ aircraft

No 23 Captain Bart Hawk, newly promoted he returns to Talons this year in a refined Curtiss P-42D fighter

No 24 Lt. Leigh Wade is a newcomer to Talons and is flying a newcomer, the impressive twin-boom Lockheed P-38 fighter powered by two Alison V-12s

No 25 Teniente Carlos Matta, who scored three ‘kills’ in the recent war with Peru, is representing Chile as a Fuerza Aérea de Chile (FACh) officer and is flying a ENAER-built I-01 IIB named "Laura Fiora" for his wife; the underside is painted light blue while the fuselage and upper wings are painted in a leopard-pelt pattern of orange, yellow, brown and black

No 26 Teniente Capitan Patricio Mistral is once again representing the Armada de Chile Arma Aérea (Chilean Navy Air Arm) and is flying an FMA I-01N Buchon carrier fighter named "Southern Cross". Mistral flew combat missions during the Andean War as well as the Peruvian War, scoring one aerial kill in each war. Mistral's I-01N Buchon is painted black, with a red propeller spinner, red wingtips, and a red tail; a white southern cross is emblazoned on the fighter's nose and on the upper side of the wings.

No 27 Kapitan Dobri Kolarov is representing Bulgaria for the first time and is flying one of the new DAR-12 /Avia B.137 fighters painted dark green with a red and yellow pinstripe down the sides and red-tipped wings. His personal call-sign is "Fokser Five" (Foxhound Five).

No 28 Porucik (Senior Lieutenant) Lidiya Ivanova returns to Talons yet again and will be flying one of the latest Supermarine Spitfire MkIIs delivered to Bulgaria. Ivanova has served as a mercenary pilot in two different campaigns, scoring one kill and one probable while flying a Romanian IAR-80 fighter for the Armenian Air Force, and claiming six air kills (all Bolivian Communist Fiat Cr.32s) and several ground kills while flying a Swiss EKW D-3801 fighter named "Charity" for the Flying Legion in Bolivia. Her personal call sign is "Ubiets Kerkenez" (Killer Kestral).

No 29 Flying Lieutenant Eoin Clancy returns to Talons and is representing Ireland in a new Boulton Paul Resistant (P94 Defiant). His fighter, named "Oopsie Daisy", is painted in RAF-style camouflage albeit with the Irish roundel, and a green port wingtip and an orange starboard wingtip.

No 30 Lt. Col Tyrus Cassius McQueen returns to represent Canada for the third time and is flying a diminutive Avro Canada CF-8 "Rhamphorhynchus" scout fighter powered by an Orenda Merlin V-12.

No 31 Cmdr. Reginald Antilles also returns this year flying the brand-new twin-engined Burnelli Aviation YCF-38 "Skipray" fighter

No 32 Capitan Valenzuela returns this year to Talons for Mexico and he is flying an al-white C-11 Aguilla III

No 33 Captain Juan Solitario, a former member of the Mexican Volunteer Squadron in Argentina, is representing Mexico again this year, flying a production C-15+ (GW 105Mx) fighter

No 34 Capitan Peters, returns for Australia and is flying another AA-5 Kelpie powered by two Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 engines

No 35 Capitan Robert Henry Maxwell (Bobby) Gibbes, returns flying the a CAC-11 Strix powered by a Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp radial

No 36 Lt. Liu Chui-Kang returns for China this year flying a black painted He-112

No 37 Lt. Zhu Jia-Xun also returns this year for China flying a dark blue painted production E.W.I.L. EW-205C fighter powered by a 1,500hp GWM V-1500 V-12 engine

No 38 Capt Ricco returns to Talons once again, as Italy’s lone pilot, and is flying a bright-red Macchi C.202 Serie I fighter practically identical to last year’s plane

No 39 Flight Lieutenant Ronnie Hellström, Talons stalwart Hellström once again returns, this time flying a yellow-painted production model SAAB F-21 Mark I twin-boom fighter powered by a 1,450hp SAAB X75-1450 inline engine in a pusher configuration

No 40 Wing Commander Otto Larsen is representing Nordmark again this year flying a blue SAAB F-21 Mark I twin-boom fighter

No 41 José Gálvez is representing Peru for the first time flying a standard ex-RAF Hawker Hurricane Mk II

No 42 Jorge Chavez is also representing Peru for the first time and also flying a Hawker Hurricane Mk II

No 43 Franciszek Jastrzebski is representing Poland flying a PZL P.11d painted red and white

No 44 Jan Pavel Falkowski is also representing Poland flying a standard production PZL P.50 fighter painted white overall

No 45 Lieutenant Anton Dunceau, who made headline news in Romania in 1937 by flying his aircraft to visit his lady friend in Transylvania unauthorized, is representing Romania this year flying a standard IAR 80A powered by a Gnome-Rhone K14 radial

No 46 Lieutenant Cosmin Manolescu is also representing Romania and was the fastest pilot in the Great Air Race in 1935 between Bulgarian and Romanian pilots. He too is flying an IAR 80A.

No 47 Kapitán Josef František returns for Czechoslovakia flying a blue, white and red Fokker-Avia B-137 fighter which is the twenty-fifth production airframe powered by a 1,100hp Minerva-Avia 105 V-12 inline engine

No 48 Capitan Maurice Huber returns to represent Switzerland flying a production EKW D-3801 with a 1,050hp Hispano-Suiza 12Y51 engine and painted in a fetching red and white scheme Swiss flag scheme

GROUPS
The groups are divided between single-engined and twin-engined fighters. Group 8 is solely for twin-engined fighters.
Group 1 Numbers 1, 9, 16, 25, 33, 41 (Roja, Schrieber, Hürku, Matta, Solitario, Galvez)
Group 2 Numbers 2, 10, 17, 26, 35, 42 (Verona, Qvist, Sunay, Mistral, Gibbes, Chavez)
Group 3 Numbers 3, 11, 19, 27, 36, 43 (Mandrake, Capt. José Fernandez-Hermosa, Pillichody, Kolarov, Chui-Kang, Jastrzebski)
Group 4 Numbers 4, 12, 20, 28, 37, 44 (McGowan, Lt. Fernando Courtoy, Duran, Ivanova, Jia-Xun, Falkowski)
Group 5 Numbers 5, 13, 21, 29, 38, 45 (Kato, Lavidicus, Molders, Clancy, Ricco, Dunceau)
Group 6 Numbers 7, 14, 22, 30, 39, 47 (Endress, Hadrian, Galland, McQueen, Hellström, František)
Group 7 Numbers 8, 15, 23, 32, 46, 48 (van Veen, Gökçen, Hawk, Valenzuela, Manolescu, Huber)
Group 8 Numbers 6, 18, 24, 31, 34, 40 (Sawada & Eto, Tural, Wade, Antilles, Peters, Larsen)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Hood" (Jan 11th 2010, 8:42pm)

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 5:23pm

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 11:15pm

Promising....

Can´t wait to read more.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 12:08am

1 minor point.....
Lt. Fernando Sanchez-Arjona Courtoy is now Captain Fernando Sanchez-Arjona Courtoy.

Hopefully one of the 4 lads will do well......

Monday, January 11th 2010, 2:12am

Yeesh, Groups 5 & 6 look tough.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 2:39am

I was thinking the same thing!

Monday, January 11th 2010, 3:15am

Well, Dunceau might decide midway through the competition to go visit his girlfriend in Romania. :D

Monday, January 11th 2010, 3:19am

I'll settle for one of my folks placing in the top 25.

HoOmAn

Monday, January 11th 2010, 8:34am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hrolf Hakonson
Yeesh, Groups 5 & 6 look tough.

I agree on No. 6 - most likely the toughest group and I have no idea who will turn out leading them.

Other groups are easier. No. 1 surely will be dominated by Roja while I expect the same for No. 7 and van Veen. In group 3 I favour Mandrake and his Spitfire and Molders will have his fun with group 5.

Just my bets...

Monday, January 11th 2010, 1:23pm

Betting on your own horse huh?! :)

HoOmAn

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:26pm

Well, yes. Van Veen should have best experience in air to air combat and hopefully has a chance to get a good result for the race...

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:39pm

No doubt the Argentines will find something so they can disqualify another South African competitor.

... maybe a good reason to start a war with them if it happens. :D

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:46pm

1 & 7 also include the two Mexicans, both of who have plenty of combat and Talons experience, and are going for broke. Mexico will not be satisfied with anything less than 1 top 5 and 1 top 10 result.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:51pm

What Poland send looks like a fat man pushing a wheel barrel up a hill.
I don't think I have any thing to show until Bf-109G6AS will became available.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:55pm

Was additionally amused to see that the Peruvians and Chileans are in the same groups. Better double-check to make sure the guns on those Hurries were actually removed! :P ;)

Monday, January 11th 2010, 4:58pm

Hmm... I count 5 Heinkel He-112 (6 if you count the F-6E) and 4 I-01 Buchons. Ayone interested in those planes will get a very good look at them.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 5:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Hmm... I count 5 Heinkel He-112 (6 if you count the F-6E) and 4 I-01 Buchons. Ayone interested in those planes will get a very good look at them.

And one of those I-01s is a IIB model equipped with dive brakes; another an I-01N carrier bird.

Chile's quite happy with the Buchon series, but is still looking forward to the I-02. (We need a nickname for the I-02, Hood! Can I propose "Calquin"/Royal Eagle?)

Monday, January 11th 2010, 5:04pm

Tornado, Cyclon, Hurracan, Pajaro Carnicero...?

Monday, January 11th 2010, 5:11pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Tornado, Cyclon, Hurracan, Pajaro Carnicero...?

Nope, I like Calquin. And it's the name of a historical FMA plane, too.

Monday, January 11th 2010, 5:32pm

Canada Wins. Or else;