You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 4:59pm

Il Mundo, End of 1929

Il Mundo 1929

Italy walked away from the treaty talks in Copenhavn reasonably content with the result. A spokesman said “Whilst we did not achieve all our goal, we have defended the interests of our country and done much to further them.” The announcement regarding Suez was welcome news and opens up that route to increased Italian traffic to East Africa and beyond. Commentators were wary of the lack of French opposition at first, but perhaps a corner has been turned in which our economic future is more firmly cemented together. The announcement of an “agreement” between the British Empire, Danmark, Iberia, Italy and the Netherlands was not greeted so warmly by the international community. Many countries seem to harbour deep suspicions of our country yet it must be noted that those countries in our immediate vicinity expressed any such concerns. The relationship with France appears warm and the Greeks have had no qualms with the news. Instead it seems to be that the normal pair, Atlantis and South Africa, just wish to interfere with our affairs as normal.

Other things of note at Copenhavn were the displays of various aircraft. The Danish Rhorbach company was especially visible, with Rofix fighters parked in elegant rows alongside the airfield. Our own contribution was more minimal, the presentation of a Macchi M.39 seaplane to the Danish government for display. The aircraft had competed in the 1926 race and has been since superseded. Also present was a fly-in from one of the two examples of the Caproni 90 which completely dwarfed every other aircraft present. The Iberian navy set up a demonstration of their C.30 autogyro. A take off and landing on a temporary platform fitted to HMIS Portugal.

The only 4 ships laid down this year, the 4 Ruggiero Classe Destroyers were commissioned into the fleet at the end of December. They are large and expensive, but fast with a powerful armament and true oceanic capability. It is not expected that any more ships of this class will be laid down. The only other development this year has been the re-starting of work on the aircraft carrier Aquila, on which construction was halted in 1928. She is expected to be complete in 1930-31.

The Regia Marina released some notes on the construction of vessels in the coming year. A fuller building schedule is proposed, with a view to replacing aging vessels. Among the projects being considered are; the conversion of Quarto to an experimental weapons vessel; a new class of large submarine; a larger experimental aliscafo after the experience with A-29; more MAS typo 100. The largest project of the year will be the construction of a aviation training vessel as granted by the talks at Copenhavn. A 13.000ton vessel is expected and the details released indicate some original safety ideas being incorporated into her construction. She is expected to serve as a training vessel and a model for the eventual replacement of Francesco Morosini. A refit of Cristoforto Columbo was considered but eventually postponed to a future date.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 5:01pm

Illustrations will appear Thursday/Friday.

Tuesday, January 31st 2006, 8:11pm

Quoted

Commentators were wary of the lack of French opposition at first, but perhaps a corner has been turned in which our economic future is more firmly cemented together.

Heh kinda tough given the timing of the announcment...

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 1:10am

Good stuff. Any info available on the autogyro?

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:07am

I have a photo of the C.30 landing on board ship on my other computer. I'll post it when I get back.

Quoted

Heh kinda tough given the timing of the announcment...

Why? The deal with Suez is sure to make quite a lot of money and opens up new opportunities to import raw materials from East Africa.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:18am

Sorry wrong quote......

Quoted

The announcement of an “agreement” between the British Empire, Danmark, Iberia, Italy and the Netherlands was not greeted so warmly by the international community. Many countries seem to harbour deep suspicions of our country yet it must be noted that those countries in our immediate vicinity expressed any such concerns. Instead it seems to be that the normal pair, Atlantis and South Africa, just wish to interfere with our affairs as normal.

Thats funny considering my only reply was out of charactor and I haven't posted any news post treaty talks. Seems you may have jumped the gun abit....nice to know who your aiming for though...;-)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:30am

Fits the picture, doesn´t it?

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:41am

Its not as if this is the first time I've posted bits about ahem, "strained" relationships with Atlantis and SAE.

More News

The Armoured Cruiser San Marco will be sold to Turkey after being in service with said country for 3 years. Now complete control is being handed over. The Battleship Dante Alighieri will be returned to Italy for her eventual disposal.

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:44am

Heh, strained on the Italian side I suppose. It does make sence though when you consider Italy has no qualms about restarting the arms race in South America.

HoOmAn

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 10:57am

OOC: Yeah, not the first time. I really should find the time to write some news and some kind of "answer". :o)

I wonder, however, why Italy is saber rattling towards Atlantis but selling ships to Turkey - an Atlantiean ally?

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 11:05am

Why is Italy selling ships to Turklantis? Because they pay me.

HoOmAn

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 11:06am

hehehehe

Business is everything, eh? ;o)

Wednesday, February 1st 2006, 11:07am

...don't forget the agreement with the UK/Greece which then threatens Turkey....Its a chicken and egg senario.

Friday, February 3rd 2006, 5:15pm

Cierva C.30 landing on Portugal

Project for rebuilding Quarto into an experimental weapons vessel. 130mm and 25mm mounts shown.

Friday, February 3rd 2006, 5:29pm

Were the Italians the ones that invented the helicopter cruiser?

Friday, February 3rd 2006, 6:13pm

Andrea Doria

Vittorio Veneto

La Cavour

Friday, February 3rd 2006, 6:18pm

The Philippines extends an invitation to Señor Cierva to demonstrate his revolutionary aircraft to the staff of the Armada de Filipinas.

Friday, February 3rd 2006, 6:25pm

I expect that Italy will start the construction of that carrier within the next 10 years.