You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, May 18th 2005, 5:49am

Looking for a drawing...

Anybody know where I might find a decent drawing of the proposed USS Chesapeake? Said vessel was to be a fast battleship, with 3x3 14", two of which were aft in a non-superfiring configuration.

Wednesday, May 18th 2005, 6:14am

I did these based on drawings on This Page at Battlecruisers and PreDreadnoughts
The lower one is sometimes refered to as the Chesapeake.

Wednesday, May 18th 2005, 7:38am

...and people think nelson looked ugly!

Wednesday, May 18th 2005, 1:33pm

Thanks, that'd be her.

The other one is an interesting look...

Thursday, May 19th 2005, 2:16am

hmm, perhaps the WW US will build some of these? :-)

Thursday, May 19th 2005, 4:48am

Actually, my capital ship plans are pretty well laid out through about 1940. I'm looking at a pair of new battlecruisers, and several large battleships. The Navy is making hints that it wants to try and develop a 15" rifle, which may or may not happen.

Thursday, May 19th 2005, 3:00pm

I'd asked because I was contemplating a heavy cruiser design with a similar layout. On paper, it's a nice design except for one fatal flaw: I can't produce a line drawing of her that I like. Unfortunately, this is still the case...

Friday, May 20th 2005, 12:01pm

the top one has it's appeal, but the other.....
it's just TOOOOOOOO UGLY for words!!!

Friday, May 20th 2005, 3:54pm

which other??

It's too horrible to look at!! O_O

Friday, May 20th 2005, 6:44pm

Note to self: construct 9x14" design so Filipinos can kill enemies using the Ugly Stick. :-)

Friday, May 20th 2005, 11:06pm

No need to fire those guns. You'll kill the enemy using the sheer ugliness of your ship.
... of course it is very likely that you will not have a crew to man that ship, all of them having commited suicide because they were too ashamed to be working on such an ugly looking ship.
XD

Saturday, May 21st 2005, 12:11am

No problem just train Blind Crewmen.

Saturday, May 21st 2005, 3:21am

Navigation and targeting difficulties

Quoted

No problem just train Blind Crewmen.

I suppose you could get them with hyperdeveloped senses of hearing and smell.

Saturday, May 21st 2005, 7:42am

You know....something like that in 1900 would be a real killer...ugly or not...even if it didn't have the speed.

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 2:37am

Since its so ugly you dont need targeting abilities.

Navigation is another story. Collisions are not a problem, most ships will keep as far away as possible. Maybe you can navigate using echo sounder and detailed 3D underwater map??.

Well its not that ugly. Check out some of Rohans ships over at Navalism. THOSE are ugly.

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 3:13am

Rohan's ships

Perhaps, but they are armed to the teeth, especially for 1898.

If India wants to go with ugly but heavily armed (and fast in this case), who is going to stop them? Japan? Atlantis? I don't think the CT covers the visual appeal of a warship, nor are there any declarations from the League of Nations to prevent ugly ships....Nelson and Rodney might have been ugly...but they were well armed. Same likely goes for the Wesworld Invinvibles, but they too are vessels to be feared.

Besides...Chile could use some of those old fictional Rohirrim ships...better then most of what Chile's got now, and about as old.

(Note: 12 nine inch guns on a 1895 Armored Cruiser.....yeah, Chile would love that.)

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 5:07am

Ugly and armed to the teeth

Two very good reasons not to mess with Rohan.

Shoudnt there be a rule to prevent ugly ships. "winks"

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 11:10am

Run away!

Perhaps, but you can just run away.

Rohan doesn't exactly have fast cruisers.

RLBHJ

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 5:38pm

Quoted

Shoudnt there be a rule to prevent ugly ships.

Yes...
*looks at own ugly ships*
... errr... no.
:-)

Monday, May 23rd 2005, 6:20pm

Quoted

Rohan doesn't exactly have fast cruisers...

...yet. Given time and technology...the battle cruiser can evolve from the combat cruiser.

Does India wants this design for fast coastal defense cruiser, a raider, or will this be more a line action ship?
I ask because it is a rather peculiar turret arrangement for the 1930s. If this was the 1900s, well that's almost an evolution of a German design. Are there any particulars on the original concept for this design?

(Rohan clusters the second turret forward to allow for more continuous space for the engines, and space for clustered heavy secondary weapons that were popular in the predreadnought era.)