You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:08pm

Futbool! dose any one give a rats ass?

World Cup is up.
Germans winning Poland losing everything is as allways.

Friday, June 9th 2006, 11:41pm

Quoted

Germans winning

I guess that will make our German members and visitors happy.

I went to Canada to avoid the Soccer insanity... only to end up in the Hockey insanity. :-)
Oilers 0 - Carolina 2
... but the Oilers were down two games against the Sharks earlier... so anything is still possible.

Regarding Soccer, I think I'll quote Rhett Butler: "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn"
:-)

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 12:51am

I do!!!

By some fluke of fortune, in the shop sweepstake for the World Cup, I ended up with all of the teams in group A, so I'm interested!

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 1:20am

I have to say that I enjoy playing soccer more that I enjoy watching it on TV.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 1:51am

Quoted

I have to say that I enjoy playing soccer more that I enjoy watching it on TV.

I agree with you there. I don't like to watch it on TV and I'm not interested in the world cup... but playing it together with friends is great.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 5:32am

Soccer's pretty big here at the High School level, at least in my town since we were state champs several years in a row, but football rules all, especially since we got Coach Spurrier at USC. I think the US plays Monday, and I'll be rooting for Mexico over Iran. After all, the way things are going, they might as well be the home team! :)

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 8:02am

I follow soccer a wee bit but I must admit I'm not very familiar with the rules. Being Canadian I don't think I have to say where I stand with Hockey.

Walter: True the situation with the Oilers going down 2 games in the series has already proved they can't be counted out but IIRC they didn't get blown out 5-0 in the san Jose series nor did they lose their #1 Goalie for the rest of the playoffs.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 9:24am

AARRGGHH!!!

I wondered when someone would bring up football!!
Being a Brit I guess I should be footie mad with lager in hand and brawling somewhere, BUT I'm here instead. I don't like football at all, when the Rugby World Cup is on don't expect to see me around.
Do other countries have flags all over their houses, draped out of windows and on thier cars or is it just a British illness?

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:08am

There´s soccermania all over Germany. However, flags cannot be seen all over the place even though there are more than you would see generally (none). You know, we Germans tend to be a little bit careful when it comes to these things...

Anyway, it´s really great the soccer world cup made it to Germany again. I´m not a big fan but yesterday me and my girlfriend went to my sister and her friend for some barbeque and watching the opening game. It was a lot of fun! :o)

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:18am

Being British doesn't mean you've gotta have a larger in your hand, brawling (almost the worst idea ever), if it's bitter or real ale and your sitting sensibly watching the match, then that's alright.

Pity Germany won yesterday it would be great to see them go out in the group stages.

As for England, we should hopefully make the semi's and then get knocked out by a better team, but who knows.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:33am

Quoted

Originally posted by Hood
Do other countries have flags all over their houses, draped out of windows and on thier cars or is it just a British illness?

Flags over houses? Pfft. Here(Brazil), we not only do that, we decorate streets too.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:39am

I have Germany in the office sweep.

Soccer? Not allowed to touch the ball?

Touching it is fun - touching it is the best bit ; )

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 11:48am

Particularily when your the only guy on a feild of women!

On flags in Germany, I thought they were well past the fear of flag waving and besides I kinda like the current German flag. Maybe thats why Europe veiws Americans waving their flag proudly as abit brash...

Canada isn't much of a flag waving country but you do see alot of Team Canada sports wear around or red maple leafs on backpacks and such...

I think Beer/Lager, sports and women seem to be a natural set of requirements for a night out with the boys.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 4:24pm

Pfft, football...

I may be sitting here in front of the England match, but I'm still disappointed that my country didn't get in.

Sadly, no-one recognises York as an independent nation....

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 4:40pm

If any part of England could demand it's own international team it should be Cornwall.

Saturday, June 10th 2006, 7:16pm

Looking out the window there is only a single flag out there.
But in Poland were there are flags on every building and bus when ever there is a national holiday we are not too kean on flags.

I have to say if poland wins the world cup(like that will happend in my life time)I will paint my face white and red wave a flag and go drinking, as good a occasion as any.=)

edit 500th post

Sunday, June 11th 2006, 7:39pm

Cornwall? You mean the millions that has been spent to accommodate the 60 people who actually speak Cornish so as not to offend them or appear racist/biased in any way.

I didn't get to see the match yesterday as I was out at a motorbike show. Wasn't particularly great from the sounds of things. Most of the country is football mad with muchos flag waving. Strangely any trouble expected is not from England fans but from Poles and Czechs so we'll have to keep an eye on Marek :) Also England isn't the country whose fans are wearing orange Nazi helmets with the slogan "I want my bicycle back" on them.

Its good to see there are a few rugby fans here (proper football), unfortunately Bath didn't too well this season.

Sunday, June 11th 2006, 9:27pm

Quoted

Also England isn't the country whose fans are wearing orange Nazi helmets with the slogan "I want my bicycle back" on them.

I hope you now understand why I am in Canada. :-)
I saw some of the Dutch fans after their victory over Serbia/Montenegro... what a bunch of lunatics!

Quoted

Its good to see there are a few rugby fans here (proper football)

That's the way I see it as well. That's proper football and in some degree so is its American clone.

Sunday, June 11th 2006, 9:55pm

Quoted

That's the way I see it as well. That's proper football and in some degree so is its American clone.

The clone version is more like a mutant that has removed all the positive traits and adds inch thick body armour.

Sunday, June 11th 2006, 10:00pm

Then I shall correct myself. :-)
"That's proper football and it's also a little bit true for that mutated American variant of the game."