You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, November 28th 2004, 2:16pm

Filipino News - Q3

While there's still a few bits of Q2 news (and even Q1) being waited on, I had this ready so I figured I'd go ahead...
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Manila Evening Times
1 July 1925

The Philippines' first Battlecruiser, Samal was laid down at the Manila Shipyards today.

In addition, the British battlecruiser Princess Royal was today transferred to the Marina de Filipinas. The MdF has leased the ship, renamed Presidente Malvar, for a period of four years, replacing the Basilan which was destroyed in last Septembers' SALSA kick-off.

---

The Manila Times
3 July 1925

Muhammad Jamalul Kiram II ibni Sultan Muhammad Jamalul Azam, the Sultan of Sulu, has been confirmed dead. No details have been recieved on his replacement or how this will affect the "War on SALSA"...

---

The Manila Envelope
3 July 1925

I had a strange experience yesterday while I was out selling tinfoil hats. A fellow who introduced himself as Señor Lucsly asked me if I had noticed anything strange lately - "sudden changes without explanation", as he phrased it. I told him no, but I had heard rumours about something dissapearing in Japan. He thanked me and he and his companion walked off, and I headed the other direction. After a moment I turned around, and they had dissapeared...

---

The Manila Times
8 July 1925

Muwallil Wasit II ibni Sultan Muhammad Jamalul Azam has been confirmed as the new Sultan of Sulu. Brother of the recently deceased Sultan, he has stated that he does not share his late brother's views and will not support the "perfidious infidels who call themselves SALSA and pollute the image of the True Belivers..."

---

The Manila Times
18 July 1925

The Marina de Filipinas has analysed the anti-SALSA actions of the last few months, and has determined that dedicated assault transports are an urgent requirement.

---

The Manila Times
31 July 1925

The Marina de Filipinas today announced that they have reached a deal with the Japanese Empire to procure assault transport ships.

A single ship of the 'Go-Ni Mk.1' class will be laid down sometime in the next quarter. Due to the 'emergency' nature of this order, payment will be deferred until 1928 or 1929; when the armoured cruiser Luzon is decommissioned, she will be transferred to the Japanese for scrapping¹.

The ship, to be named Balabac, will have an identical hull to the Japanese 'Go-Ni Mk.1'-type ships, but will be equipped with Filipino armament, including 6" guns removed from the scrapped cruiser Mindanao.

In addition, two ships of the 'Go-Ni Mk.2' class have been 'pre-ordered', with construction to begin in 1928...

---

The Manila Times
12 August 1925

El Presidente, Enrique Monastario, has announced the "conclusion of organised resistance" in the Sulu Archipelago and northwest Mindanao. "The insurrection of SALSA is over," said El Presidente.

Several high-ranking officials, who wish to remain nameless, have stated that the announcement does not mean the end of hostilities. Indeed the conflict has become one of guerilla warfare...

---

The Manila Times
24 August 1925

The schedule for the first-ever SATSUMA Treaty Naval Exercises has been set. The exercises will occur in the third week of October, in the Sulu Sea, and will focus on exploring the role of naval aviation.

The Indians have committed to sending the battleship Babur and light aviation carrier Otta, while the Japanese are expected to send one of their large Zuiho-class carriers. Further details will be published when they become available...

---

The Manila Times
25 August 1925

The German light cruiser Karlsruhe arrived in Manila Harbour yesterday.

The ship will be open for tours today, starting at 10 o'clock...

---

The Butuan Bell
16 September 1925

The Marina de Filipinas light cruiser Cíudad Rodrigo entered refit here yesterday. The ship will have two of its 6" guns removed, and they will be replaced with two twin 100mm anti-aircraft mounts.

Upon completion of the refit in late december, the ex-Italian cruiser will have its name changed, to Calayan, to conform with the MdF naming sequence...

---

The Manila Times
21 September 1925

While the anarchist group SALSA may be down, they are not yet out. Several small-scale skirmishes occured last week, scattered throughout western Mindanao...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

¹ - Whether or not she is actually scrapped, is not up to the Philippines. ;)

HoOmAn

Keeper of the Sacred Block Coefficient

Monday, November 29th 2004, 12:16am

"¹ - Whether or not she is actually scrapped, is not up to the Philippines. ;) "

Well, if she´s not she´ll still rate against your tonnage. So you better take care she is scrapped... ;)

Monday, November 29th 2004, 4:09pm

Last time I checked the Japanese are the ones 'selling' the ship and the Filipinos are the ones that are 'buying' the ship.
I just get the Luzon as compensation for messing up my building program. ;-)
What will happen to the Luzon is not quite certain, but I will make sure that I'll take care of the matter and make sure that the ship will no longer be rated against the tonnage of the the Philippines or Japan.