You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, October 8th 2010, 3:22pm

Oil consumption?

AdmK and BD posted some data on oilproduction in the late 30´s but does anyone have any data on the oilconsumption?

I also wonder how in your opinion does the wastly greater mechanized armies, air forces and fleets affect oil prices in WW (compared to OTL)?

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 3:58pm

I've got wartime figures for oil consumption for Germany and Japan inc avgas and diesel.

Not quite representive of peacetime use though.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 8:34pm

What we have to remember Vuk, is that there isn't a global market for oil really until later, so oil prices are determined by other factors such as cost of extraction at the source, cost of refining and transport rather than the set price we have today. There was likely a higher oil consumption in WW during the 1920's and 1930's compared to OTL, simply due to more ships being built, and an extra 100 million people or so that weren't around in OTL, but you have to remember that armed forces oil consumption during the peacetime years is nowhere near what it is in wartime. 1920's and 1930's civilian use is nowhere near what it is today, so while the larger population of WW will consume more oil, and there will be an impact it should not be overstated. Finally, no one, not even the RN in WW is anywhere near the wartime USN of this period, and they managed in OTL so I feel there likely is no reason to suggest that average oil consumption of the years 1922 to 1950 would be significantly higher than that of OTL.

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 8:50pm

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
I feel there likely is no reason to suggest that average oil consumption of the years 1922 to 1950 would be significantly higher than that of OTL.

More accurately, consumption may be noticably higher, but it by far does not outstrip reasonable production and supply

Sunday, October 10th 2010, 9:34pm

Quoted

Originally posted by ShinRa_Inc

Quoted

Originally posted by TheCanadian
I feel there likely is no reason to suggest that average oil consumption of the years 1922 to 1950 would be significantly higher than that of OTL.

More accurately, consumption may be noticably higher, but it by far does not outstrip reasonable production and supply

Unless we have a major war, do you really think that oil consumption in the years 1940-1950 will match OTL? While I do agree that consumption during the OTL peacetime years would be higher, I would think that the greater consumption compared to OTL in the years 1922 to 1939 would be offset by less consumption in the years 1940-1950 barring a major war of course. Even then, I doubt we will have a general oil crisis of any real magnitude during this point in time.