You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 4:36am

Chile Q2/1928

Chilean Naval Construction
1928 Second Quarter Report
April 1 - June 30, 1928

A. Factories

7/7 factories = 7,000t of material + 0t stockpiled + 680 tons from scrap for Q2/1928 = 7,680t available (+ 499 tons from scrap for Q3/1928)
3,350t are used, and 4,330t transferred, leaving a stockpile of 0t.

0/7 factories (committed) = 0.0 infrastructure pts
0/7 factories (flexible) = 0.0 pts = 0.0 pts available

B. Infrastructure Development

None

C. Naval Development and Construction

at Talcahuano:
S3: Construction continues on Armoured Cruiser Capitan Tylor (2,000 tons delivered) 16,632 needed, will require 769 days to complete (was to finish late during Q1/1928...construction slow due to large number of projects and inexperiance with large warship construction) - 4,167 tons remaining to complete.
S2: Construction continues on the new "Light" Cruiser Picunches (1,300 tons delivered) 9,747 tons needed, will require 563 days to complete (finishes during Q1/1929) - 6,841 tons remaining to complete.
S1: idle
D3: idle
D2: idle
D2: idle
D0: idle

at Valparaiso:
S1: Completed new light destroyer Guardia Marina Contrerra (50 tons delivered) 850 tons needed, will require 296 days to complete (finishes during Q2/1928) - 0 tons remaining to complete.
S1: idle
D1: idle

at Mejillones:
S0: idle
S0: idle
D0: idle

Commericial shipyards:
idle

D. Transactions

Construction of American built Coastal Defense Battleship began in Q1/1927 at 2,000 tons per quarter until Q4/1928. Vessel currently called Almirante Gideon.
2,000 tons of material transfered to the United States, (6 of 8) - Ship to be delivered early in Q1/1929.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of three "light" cruisers built in Atlantis with a second currently under construction in Chile, the third is under construction in Atlantis but is on hold.

First of two "heavy" cruisers to be built in Atlantis with the second to be built in Chile.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The cost of the first light cruiser was overestimated: Atacama payed in full as of Q1/1928. Delivered Q2/1928.

1,830 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for first payment on first "heavy" cruiser (1 of 6) - to be delivered in Q1/1930.

500 tons of material transfered to Atlantis for the third payment on the third cruiser (2 of 6 + 500 tons) - *Construction paused due to investigation.*

E. Other Notes

"Light" Cruiser Atacama (CL-6) completed and running trials.

Light Destroyer Guardia Marina Contrerra (DL-5) completed and running trials.

Construction on "Light" Cruiser Picunches (CL-7) resumes at best speed.

CLV-1 (ex CL-4) Marina Guardia Hyatt on trials.

Old Destroyer Capitan Thompson has be regulated to training duty. She will likely be either broken up or used as a target within the next years.

Work continues on the "15 inch/51 caliber" cannon project.

F. Updated Order of Battle, June 30, 1928

Note: W(X)+Y(Z) = completed (under repair/refit) + under construction (...by a foreign power)

Dreadnought Battleships------2(0)+0
Predreadnoughts----------------2(0)+0
Coast Defense Ships-----------1(0)+0(1)
Aircraft Carrier-------------------0(0)+0(0)
Armoured Cruisers--------------1(0)+1
Heavy Cruiser--------------------0(0)+0(1)
Light Cruisers--------------------4(0)+1(1)
Protected Cruisers--------------3(0)+0
Floatplane Cruisers-------------1(0)+0
Destroyers------------------------8(0)+0 {1,200 tons std and up}
Destroyers (training)-----------------1(0)+0 {under 1,200 tons std: old}
Light Destroyers-----------------5(0)+0 {under 1,200 tons std: new}
Submarines-----------------------6(0)+0
Floatplane Carriers--------------2(0)+0
Subchasers------------------------12(0)+0
Colliers-----------------------------2(0)+0
Sail Training Sloop---------------1(0)+0
Transports-------------------------2(0)+0

-Emergency Use-
Patrol Boats---------11(0)+0
Transports-----------12(0)+0
Museum Ships--------1(0)+0

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 2:33pm

The report's a bit confusing, but it really looks like you're biting off more than you can chew here. The only way you can build some ships is by stopping others.

Meanwhile, you're going to wind up with more large warships than you have destroyers to protect them with.

Since you're doing business with both the USA and Atlantis, have you looked at acquiring a Sackett's Harbour or Alioth class carrier rather than a custom conversion of the light cruiser?

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 6:06pm

Yes it is. I'm trying to complete the original version of the report and the corrected version in the same report.

It seems Wes and I miscalculated on the payments for the cruisers, and it was actually less then expected. We just figured this out a week or so ago. So while the new heavy cruiser will be laid down late in the quarter or early next quarter (that depends on Wes and his shipyards), the third light cruiser was halted partly to investigate where the extra funds were going, but then since Chile already has this ship under construction, and had thoughts of cancelling it in favor of the two heavy cruisers, they decided not to waste the hull and reorder it as an aircraft carrier (similar to a conversion from a Cleveland-class light cruiser to an Independence-class light carriers). The ship is only 1/3 complete.

Should I redo the report to reflect what is without explaination, or fill it the report as original and post a second corrected report later in the thread? All corrections have to do with the deal with Atlantis and doesn't effect anything else.

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 6:19pm

Oooh, a financial scandal!!

Quoted

the third light cruiser was halted partly to investigate where the extra funds were going

*whistles innocently away...*

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 9:38pm

I think a single correct report would be easier for the rest of us to understand.

I thought the "light" and heavy cruisers used a common hull form? If so, you could re-tool the hull as a CA (at this point, even a reconstruction would not add much to cost or time to complete). Unless you're really set on getting a CV at this time, that is.

Got any old clunkers to send to the scrapyards? You may need to raise some funds that way.

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 9:59pm

Corrected

Report corrected.

The conversion to a carrier has been the plan from the beginning as an experimental carrier. The simmilar hulls were so that the yard building the first light cruiser could make a quick turn-a-round on the first heavy cruiser.

And I have plenty of old junkers to send to the yard...Capitan Prat is number one on the hit list as soon as the American built ship is completed. Negro will probably join it as soon as the second "light" cruiser is finished.

Destroyers will continue construction as materials become avalible (once the American battleship and Tylor are completed).

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 10:26pm

Normally I'd be completely confused after this discussion but thanks to this mess I just noticed an error on the Q1/28 report that would have shorted Chile one payment! Ahhhh!

Now I can continue with my Q2 report.

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 10:56pm

(I think this is correct)

Chile still overpayed by 258 tons for Light Cruiser #1 during Q1/1928...that is what is being investigated.

Saturday, August 13th 2005, 11:37pm

Overpayed, as in over the included mark up price? Darn now I have to look at those numbers again...AAAHHHH!