You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 6:01pm

A Grand Liner for the Red Ribbon

To lay down in Q3 in Atlantis.

La Argentina, Argentina Liner laid down 1933

Displacement:
48,301 t light; 49,537 t standard; 61,784 t normal; 71,582 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
1,043.03 ft / 1,017.06 ft x 119.91 ft x 31.89 ft (normal load)
317.92 m / 310.00 m x 36.55 m x 9.72 m

Machinery:
Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
Geared drive, 4 shafts, 211,500 shp / 157,779 Kw = 31.50 kts
Range 10,000nm at 25.00 kts
Bunker at max displacement = 22,045 tons

Complement:
1,959 - 2,547

Cost:
£12.070 million / $48.281 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
Armament: 0 tons, 0.0 %
Machinery: 6,163 tons, 10.0 %
Hull, fittings & equipment: 22,265 tons, 36.0 %
Fuel, ammunition & stores: 13,483 tons, 21.8 %
Miscellaneous weights: 19,874 tons, 32.2 %

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
135,527 lbs / 61,474 Kg = 1,254.9 x 6 " / 152 mm shells or 6.5 torpedoes
Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1.13
Metacentric height 8.2 ft / 2.5 m
Roll period: 17.6 seconds
Steadiness - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 70 %
- Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0.00
Seaboat quality (Average = 1.00): 2.00

Hull form characteristics:
Hull has raised forecastle
Block coefficient: 0.556
Length to Beam Ratio: 8.48 : 1
'Natural speed' for length: 31.89 kts
Power going to wave formation at top speed: 45 %
Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 35
Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 20.00 degrees
Stern overhang: 3.28 ft / 1.00 m
Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
- Stem: 62.34 ft / 19.00 m
- Forecastle (20 %): 59.06 ft / 18.00 m (45.93 ft / 14.00 m aft of break)
- Mid (65 %): 45.93 ft / 14.00 m
- Quarterdeck (12 %): 45.93 ft / 14.00 m
- Stern: 45.93 ft / 14.00 m
- Average freeboard: 48.82 ft / 14.88 m

Ship space, strength and comments:
Space - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 68.2 %
- Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 382.3 %
Waterplane Area: 85,595 Square feet or 7,952 Square metres
Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 192 %
Structure weight / hull surface area: 151 lbs/sq ft or 738 Kg/sq metre
Hull strength (Relative):
- Cross-sectional: 0.91
- Longitudinal: 2.48
- Overall: 1.00
Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is excellent
Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
Excellent seaboat, comfortable, rides out heavy weather easily

Passengers
400 1st = 8000
784 Cabin = 7840
581 Tourist/ Steerage 2033.5
Total 1565 Pasengers 17,873.5
Cargo 1,500
Extras 500 tons
Misc weight total 19,873.5 tons

First Class Amenities
The four hundred 1st Class passengers can expect every luxury and attention to detail. Single and twin cabins with en-suite bathrooms are available as are complete suites of adjoining cabins for larger parties and servants quarters. Each room is decorated in modern or classical décor and fragranced by fresh flowers. Each room is also air conditioned for comfort in tropical latitudes. In colder climes the fully controllable heating system will keep the warm room.
The two-storey dining room can accommodate 300 guests at any one time. It features a domed ceiling and band stand along with a galley with every convenience to produce the best dishes in the world. After diner your favourite pastimes can be enjoyed. A concert in out fine soundproofed hall, a film in one of two cinemas, a smoke in the gentleman's lounge with coal fire and leather furniture. Women only and reading rooms are also open all-day. The ballroom is also open every evening for dances of many varieties with our trained band.
During the day you'll never be bored. Sporting amenities include a sun deck, outdoor swimming pool, indoor pool, Turkish baths, three tennis courts, squash court and a fully equipped gymnasium with qualified instructors. The women can enjoy a visit to our hairdressers and beauty salon with Vibro face massage and mudpacks. You can even have an X-Ray taken. The two-storey library has 1200 books in nine languages. Food and refreshments during the day can be purchased from any one of four outlets, a Parisian café, an English-style Fish and Chip shop, an a la carte restaurant and a tea lounge. A walk can be enjoyed around the First Class Promenade.

Cabin Class Amenities
The seven hundred and eighty-four Cabin Class passengers can expect the best conditions at competitive prices. Single, twin and four-person cabins are available and all have fans and radiator heaters.
The 2nd Dining Room can seat 450 diners at any one time and has among the best food afloat from our galleys with the finest equipment afloat. After diner a concert or maybe a dance can be enjoyed in the 2nd Class soundproof hall. A cinema is provided and a smoking room and ladies only rooms can be enjoyed as can the extensive library collection aboard.
During the day you'll never be bored. Sporting amenities include a games deck, indoor pool, tennis court and a gymnasium with qualified instructors. The women can enjoy a visit to our hairdressers and beauty salon with Vibro face massage and mudpacks. The second class promenade offers a good view even in poor weather. Food and refreshments during the day can be purchased from any one of four outlets, a Parisian café, an English-style Fish and Chip shop, an a la carte restaurant and a tea lounge.

Tourist Class Amenities
The five hundred and eighty-one Tourist Class passengers can get a comfortable cabin at low prices. Single, twin, quad and six bed cabins are available. All are heated.
The Tourist Restaurant serves good food all day from its own galley. The second class concert hall, library and gym are open to Tourist passengers. A smoking room and women only rooms are also provided. A hairdresser and barber are open as is a cosy café. Aft is an enclosed promenade deck and gift shop.

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 6:35pm

Guess it is time for me to unleash The Floating Palace in order to capture both the Blue and the Red Ribbon. :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Jan 27th 2007, 6:36pm)

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 8:24pm

Atlantis will likely lay down its own liner right beside the Argentinian ship so if Japan wants to saturate the market go ahead. Or they could start yet another route in the Pacific labeled the "Orange ribbon" race.

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 9:01pm

Isn't it riband? And I seem to have missed the route for the Red Riband

Saturday, January 27th 2007, 9:51pm

When looking on the internet, then it is 'Riband' and then it is 'Ribbon'. I am not sure about it but assume both are correct.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Rooijen10" (Jan 27th 2007, 9:51pm)

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 2:14am

Orang Ribband here we come! No need for those great big White Elephants, I got me some Civ Carriers and Zeppelin Liners! Alikchi got any Airships yet? Need some competition on the Pacific route.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 12:50pm

Hmmm, I can imgaine company tactics, using civil carriers with fighters to shoot down competing airships! ;0)

Ribbon does sound a little girlie so Riband seems the best option in my opinion, and I believe it is the correct spelling of it anyway.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 1:23pm

Images by RP1

Do it. You know you want to.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 7:27pm

Give the Canadians a little time and a lot of ideas....I'm sure you'll see this....and then the bandwagon starts....resulting in air piracy...Harlock's "carrier" in action.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 11:05pm

Ironically enough I had much less ambitious plans similar to the pics in Gavins post. Add soma additional gondola's for 4" guns for shelling along with AA sponsons.

I decided however that the 4" weapons would likely rock the crap out of the airships steel frame and for little effective use. It would be much better to use the weight for additional AA guns.

I doubt it would be possible to slap a runway onto the top of the ship though...

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 11:15pm

It would probably be a bit windy taking off from the runway.

I'm not sure what airships carry in the way of self-defense armament but I doubt it will be sufficient.

Sunday, January 28th 2007, 11:43pm

Acctually the early German airships had MG's aboard in open sponsons.
Togeather with its own parisite fighters and limited AA the airship at least has some defence.

Monday, January 29th 2007, 12:16am

Ahhh!!! Dont give ShinRa any more ideas!

Now battles between zeppelins above the vast Pacific would be interesting...

Monday, January 29th 2007, 12:51am

Hmm maybe India and Siam should duke it out for the Phuket-Mumbai Saffron Riband. :P

Monday, January 29th 2007, 12:57am

Akron and Macon were equipped to carry about a half dozen or so .50 cals or something in that neighborhood. The AH novel ZRS has some pretty good airship combat during the early months of WW2 in the Pacific. The main defense eventually planned for the ZRS concept was to avoid contact if at all possible and possibly rely on fighters for defense. The biggest risk might be enemy patrol bombers. In ZRS, the Japanese send a modified Emily out to try and kill the airship Long Island.

Monday, January 29th 2007, 1:04am

Quoted

Originally posted by Ithekro
Give the Canadians a little time and a lot of ideas....I'm sure you'll see this....and then the bandwagon starts....resulting in air piracy...Harlock's "carrier" in action.

I'm surpised we haven't seen one of these wandering around the Carribean yet...

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Ahhh!!! Dont give ShinRa any more ideas!

I thought I done told you Aussies to stop leaking what all those hangars at St. Hubert and Halifax are for....

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ShinRa_Inc" (Jan 29th 2007, 1:04am)

Monday, January 29th 2007, 5:36am

Pirates...no, Free Traders

Who is to say that it is not wondering around the Pacific already.

Of course there is this...

...but it is a much older design.

It would be interesting to see if any of these designs airship could every work on this earth. Most probably can't.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ithekro" (Jan 29th 2007, 5:42am)

Monday, January 29th 2007, 7:23am

I guess we have Gavin to thank for this airship assualt thread.....

(don't encourage them damn you!)

Sunday, February 4th 2007, 2:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Desertfox
Orang Ribband here we come! No need for those great big White Elephants, I got me some Civ Carriers and Zeppelin Liners! Alikchi got any Airships yet? Need some competition on the Pacific route.

No airships.. although I recently completed airship facilities, and the US visits have gotten Filipino Admirals to thinking.. we just might have to buy some of these American contraptions.