You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to WesWorld. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, November 4th 2008, 9:50pm

Ireland News Q4/36

October 1
The coastal steamer SS Mara wrecked today on rocks outside Galway harbor while steaming out on a foggy morning. Initial investigation showed that the vessel was traveling at full steam (six knots) while a sixteen year-old crewman conned the vessel. The crew insisted that their wreck was caused by the defection of their lucky ship's cat, Lady Jutland, to the new Irish destroyer Connacht. Investigators instead suspect carelessness or attempted insurance fraud, as the Mara had recently been re-insured. The Mara's cargo of chicken feed is being recovered by salvage lighters, but the ship itself is deemed a loss.

The Irish Naval Service's lifeboat responded promptly to several wireless reports of a stranded vessel, and rescued eight men and two women off the vessel. All crew were uninjured except for the steamer's captain, who was knocked unconscious by a frying pan wielded by the captain's wife.

October 4
A Tiger Moth biplane belonging to the Irish Air Corps crashed in a sheep field today while on a training flight out of Baldonnel. The lone pilot was thrown clear when the plane came down, landing without physical injury in the back of a wagon filled with manure. Damage to the plane was deemed moderate, and after removing the wings the Tiger Moth was transported back to Baldonnel by lorry. When asked later about the incident, the pilot remarked "My squadron won't let me live it down. That was the most $#!ty landing I've ever done."

October 9
Aer Lingus made it's inaugural service flight today, with Air Captain Jack Mac Lochlainn piloting the de Havilland Dragon "Iolar" between Baldonnel and Whitechurch (Bristol), with four paying passengers.

November 9
Following nearly two months of regular and oftentimes acrimonious debate, the Dail has authorized the government to seek an Anglo-Irish trade treaty. There was significant discussion in the Dail about how to address the extant Treaty Ports issue and land annuities in particular, due to the sensitive nature of such discussions.

November 10
A man claiming himself to be Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte entered Nelson's Pillar with a Mauser rifle and a bullhorn, chasing out sightseers. The Garda responded promptly, stationing constables at a reasonable distance and attempting to talk the man down from his perch on the Pillar. During the standoff, the man climbed to paint a mustache on Nelson's face, and used his bullhorn to demand that the Dail recognize his sovereignty over all of Ireland, then declare war on Britain and Russia. The man then threatened to blow up the Pillar with a homemade bomb if the Dail did not recognize his emperorship.

At the end of the standoff the madman was taunted by the crowd, who shouted "Jump, jump!" Not believing the man truly had a bomb, two Garda officers volunteered and quietly snuck up to the observation platform, wrestling with the madman. One of the officers was knocked unconscious when the madman hit him over the head with a rifle, and the second officer fell over the rail during the struggle, barely catching himself in tim. As the horrified crowd on the street gasped, an Irish Army sharpshooter several blocks away gunned the madman down with a perfectly-timed rifle shot, thus permitting the endangered constable to climb back over the rail to safety.

A sophisticated homemade bomb - which a Garda spokesman admitted could have seriously damaged or destroyed the Pillar, was found close by the madman. Further investigation showed that the madman, who will remain unnamed out of respect for the surviving family, had served as a demolitions engineer in the British Army during the Great War, and had been wounded several times, including once during a gas attack. The Mauser rifle the madman carried was determined to be a war trophy. "[This individual] might rightly have been considered a hero," the Garda spokesman said. "It is a great sadness that he came to this end."

The incident, which lasted three hours of the afternoon, was the topic of much discussion as it seriously delayed traffic in Dublin; a British newspaper ran the sensationalist headline "IRISH DEFEAT NAPOLEON, NELSON GROWS MUSTACHE!"

November 17
The Dail has passed the final economic policy proposed several months ago by Deputy Flaherty, cutting corporate taxes by up to 25% by the end of 1937.

December 1
Three new coastal minesweepers, the Emer, Fola, and Banba, have joined the Irish Naval Service after their month-long trials.

Kaiser Kirk

Lightbringer and former European Imperialist

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 5:25am

RE: Ireland News Q4/36

Quoted

Originally posted by Brockpaine
October 4
A Tiger Moth biplane belonging to the Irish Air Corps crashed in a sheep field today while on a training flight out of Baldonnel. The lone pilot was thrown clear when the plane came down, landing without physical injury in the back of a wagon filled with manure. Damage to the plane was deemed moderate, and after removing the wings the Tiger Moth was transported back to Baldonnel by lorry. When asked later about the incident, the pilot remarked "My squadron won't let me live it down. That was the most $#!ty landing I've ever done."

1. Were any sheep injured?
2. Considering sheep by products his assessment of the landing may have been literal.

3. Where's Nelson's Column in Ireland? Really didn't look around the city much, but I am guessing Dublin?

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 11:25am

Nelson's Column......

...used to stand in the centre of O'Connell Street, Dublin's main throughfare.

In the 1960's the IRA blew the top third off it, while there were discussions goig on about who to replace Nelson with (Connelly, Davit, Wolfe Tone, Peirce, etc).

The Irish Army, when tasked with the demolition of the stump of the column, managed to blow out most of the windows along the street!!

Thursday, November 6th 2008, 1:12pm

RE: Ireland News Q4/36

Quoted

Originally posted by Kaiser Kirk
1. Were any sheep injured?
2. Considering sheep by products his assessment of the landing may have been literal.

No sheep were injured in the making of this news post. :D

And yes, the assessment was meant extremely literally. :P

From what I've read, when the Irish Army demolished the remnants of Nelson's Column, the damage they caused was several times as expensive as the IRA's bomb.

[SIZE=1]I'm imagining a green young second lieutenant surveying the scene and saying "Sergeant, I'm gonna look awful stupid if we don't take this thing out in the first try. Grab a couple hundred kilos more explosives and let's make sure we get it all at one go!"[/SIZE]

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:08pm

November 14
The Irish Garda, after a long and secretive investigation, swooped down on an international terrorist syndicate based out of Galway. The organization, masquerading as the shipbuilding company "Howard Electric Boat Company" or "HEBCo", has been solidly linked to recent regime changes in Peru, and innumerable murders in the nations of Siam, Mexico, and perhaps elsewhere in the world.

Irish Defense Forces Directorate of Intelligence, also known as G2, first became aware that HEBCo had special contacts when the company's own security officials informed them that a coup was being prepared in Siam. French, British, and Danish intelligence agencies were informed of the information. While monitoring the situation, allied intelligence agencies noted the sudden and conspicuous presence of HEBCo representatives in Siam. Revealed documents and intelligence intercepts show that HEBCo-employed agents had uncovered the coup attempt and then were killed by assassins, thus sparking a massive spate of revenge killings, including some against Chinese nationals, and the elimination of the "White Mice", Siam's former intelligence agency. Following the elimination of these individuals a deal was apparently struck between the Siamese king and the HEBCo masterminds, culminating in the murder of Pibun Songhram, the supposed coup leader.

Shortly afterwards, HEBCo assassins delivered a truck bomb to the front steps of the Commando Supremo in Lima, wiping out much of the Peruvian military and political leadership, which had supposedly consorted with the Siamese coup forces, and which HEBCo organizers felt were behind the assassination of their agent. The later assassination of Francesco de la Guardia sealed the deal for a new, HEBCo-supported regime in Peru, which as its opening act planned the annexation of the neighboring nation of Bolivia. Chilean military units operating in Bolivia arrested several HEBCo operatives, and speculation points to HEBCo and Peruvian involvement in the attempted assassination of the Mexican president. An attempt was made by HEBCo to frame the Nordish government for this failed assassination.

Irish G2, working with British, French, and Danish intelligence, placed moles inside the HEBCo operation both in Ireland and abroad, gaining access to the company's secret files. Further investigations brought in the Atlantean and Iberian intelligence services, contributing to the unparalleled scope of today's arrest operations.

First to be arrested from amongst the ranks of HEBCo terrorists was Gregory Powers, who oversaw the organization's "security force". Powers, who Irish law enforcement officials described as "an extremely dangerous and ruthless man", was approached while accompanied by a clique of bodyguards. When gardaí officers approached, the bodyguards opened fire with pistols and then took cover inside a nearby house, holding off the gardaí for half an hour. In a dramatic operation, officers wielding Tommy guns and rifles smashed inside, killing two of the bodyguards and wounding six more in a five-minute gunfight, taking no losses to themselves. Gregory Powers was wounded but treated on the scene and arrested.

Noted American-born submarine designer Simon Lake was not arrested, but placed in protective custody by the Garda when he turned himself in.

On the high seas, the Iberian cruiser Alcazaba intercepted an Irish-flagged motor vessel, the MV Alaska Maru, on the request of the Irish government. The cruiser seized valuable evidence. More revealing was the short chase of the MV D'Artagnon by the Atlantean destroyer Dancer, when the D'Artagnon attempted to evade the much faster warship in heavy weather in the Atlantic. When D'Artagnon was finally overtaken she was discovered to be carrying equipment stolen from Mexico, with the pair of assassins dubbed "the Bobbsy twins" aboard.

Charles Howard, the presumed financier and chief executive officer of HEBCo, evaded the Garda officers who had come to arrest him, and attempted to flee Ireland by plane. Hurricane fighters were scrambled from Baldonnel and intercepted the fugitive plane approaching the coast of France. The pilots forced the plane to return to land in Ireland, where Charles Howard and three other men were arrested by Garda officers.

In addition to the widespread and often dramatic arrests, international law-enforcement forces moved on the company's assets, valued at a quarter billion pounds sterling. Further assets were moved into the nations of Siam and Peru, where HEBCo operatives could operate more openly.

The Irish government has requested a number of Interpol notices, including red notices for the arrest of individuals hiding in Siam and Peru, and blue notices requesting member states to provide information for prosecution of the arrested individuals. A green notice was also provided for transmitting warnings about HEBCo terrorist operations.

---------------------------------------

OOC: Howard, I've had enough; we've all had enough, and we're fed up with this.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Brockpaine" (Nov 16th 2008, 4:09am)

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:17pm

You are punishing him IC for being, how to put it... "unpleasant" OOC?

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:28pm

It would only appear that way to some who do not know whats going on behind the scenes.

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:35pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
You are punishing him IC for being, how to put it... "unpleasant" OOC?

Like Wes said, there's a lot that's gone on behind the scenes. As I've stated in the above post, HEBCo's done a lot of stuff which is best described as "international terrorism". I've warned Howard in the past that I wasn't enthusiastic about hosting such things in Ireland, and the best I could do was ignore it. I also stated what would happen if I didn't.

Honestly, I can no longer in good conscience work with Howard or host HEBCo in my country. People are ready to leave the game over this, and I am getting to that place as well. I have had enough.

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:41pm

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, Brocks playing Ireland, its his nation, he can do what he likes with undesirables. I wouldn't expect any less if it was Vuko in Persia, Gavin in Italy or Hrolf in Germany.

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 10:44pm

Since there seem to be stuff going on which I dont know I will leave it at that, just seemed a bit uncharacteristic by Brock

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 11:05pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Vukovlad
Since there seem to be stuff going on which I dont know I will leave it at that, just seemed a bit uncharacteristic by Brock

It is uncharacteristic of my preferred style; which goes to show how far I feel I've been pushed. I have been dealing with this since late August or early September, and this option has been on the table the entire time.

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 11:26pm

Even though I don't know the details of this situation, having been through a similar situation before over in navalism, I can say that I understand why you are doing this, and wholly support it.

howard

Unregistered

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 11:29pm

Shrug. HEBCo moves to Krabl.

Just for the record, OOC, I have no idea who was trying to frame Nordmark. Not part of my storyline.

Howard

Saturday, November 15th 2008, 11:32pm

Let's be honest here....

...there has been more than one occasion when the actions of Hebco's Security section have been at best questionable, and at worst downright illegal.

It has been commented before in various posts........

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 1:48am

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
Shrug. HEBCo moves to Krabl.

I'm sure they will be more at home there.

Quoted

Originally posted by howard
Just for the record, OOC, I have no idea who was trying to frame Nordmark. Not part of my storyline.

Most likely HEBCo freindly supporters in Mexico.

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 2:29am

On a side note the International Criminal Police Commission", better known by its telegraphic address Interpol, didn't recieve that name till 1956.

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 2:51am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
On a side note the International Criminal Police Commission", better known by its telegraphic address Interpol, didn't recieve that name till 1956.

Hm, I keep forgetting that. I mentioned it once in a Bulgarian news piece as well...

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 4:05am

That and the destroyer Hawk is in the Pacific, so unless she chased the MV D'Artagnon through the Panama canal I'd say your looking at a destroyer from either the Caribbean or Northern fleets would be responcible for MV D'Artagnon being intercepted.

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 4:14am

Quoted

Originally posted by thesmilingassassin
That and the destroyer Hawk is in the Pacific, so unless she chased the MV D'Artagnon through the Panama canal I'd say your looking at a destroyer from either the Caribbean or Northern fleets would be responcible for MV D'Artagnon being intercepted.

Changed it to the destroyer Dancer.

Sunday, November 16th 2008, 5:02am

Unfortunately the Mexicans are now even MORE confused as to who committed the assasination attempt. (OOC I do know who it is and it will be very important later on)